Poll: Grant's Greatest Victory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Grant's Greatest Victory?

This is a new poll series, where I take a major Civil War commander or subordinate and ask what was his best battlefield or campaign performance.
    I hope to initiated discussions about various combat performances and I will start with Ulysses S. Grant.

What do you think was his greatest victory and why?

1. Forts Donelson and Henry
    2. Shiloh
    3. Vicksburg
    4. Chattanooga
    5. The Overland Campaign
    6. Petersburg and Appomattox
    Forts Henry and Donelson
    11.90%
    Shiloh
    9.52%
    Vicksburg
    64.29%
    Chattanooga
    2.38%
    Overland Campaign
    0.00%
    Petersburg and Appomattox
    11.90%
    "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
    Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

I think they were all good victories & important in their own way, but Vicksburg stands out as the greatest of his victories. It shows his tenacity, his ability to work with the navy, & his excellent strategic & operational planning. Once on the ground in the final part, the battles were conducted well & he managed to capture 30,000 Rebs & a ton of equipment. For what it did manpowerwise to the Confederates & in terms of closing the Mississippi for good & cutting the Confederacy in half, it was a huge victory. It reminds me of the Julius Caesar campaign & siege of Alesia-building fortifications to keep Pemberton bottled up & Johnston out. I would rank the Overland Campaign a close second in the fact that it was the campaign that wore out Lee & pushed him to Richmond/Petersburg-as Lee said, once there it was only a matter of time.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Grant was an adequate general at best. He had virtually an inexhaustible supply of troops and arms. He tried to lose but failed in the end. Sieges were the best he could do.
      It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself-- Th. Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Localyokel View Post
        Grant was an adequate general at best. He had virtually an inexhaustible supply of troops and arms. He tried to lose but failed in the end. Sieges were the best he could do.
        Wow, that is absolutely wrong on several levels. You do know that Grant was outnumbered initially at Fort Henry, on day one at Shiloh, & in theater during the Vicksburg campaign. Inexhaustible indeed.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Yet this "adequate general" forced Lee to terms and took Richmond. The only general in the civil war to have captured multiple armies.

As HB said, wrong on so many levels.
          "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Comment

Yet he beat A.S. Johnston and Beauregard at Shiloh in open battle, humiliated Pillow at Belmont, scattered Pemberton's Army at Champion Hill and trapped the majority of it. He routed the Army of Tennessee at Chattanooga, and then forced Lee to the gates of Richmond and beyond. Granted (no pun intended), Grant was no great tactician (George Thomas was probably the best Union tactician), but operationally and strategically he was the best Union commander.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Comment

Appomattox Court House
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
                I think they were all good victories & important in their own way, but Vicksburg stands out as the greatest of his victories. It shows his tenacity, his ability to work with the navy, & his excellent strategic & operational planning. Once on the ground in the final part, the battles were conducted well & he managed to capture 30,000 Rebs & a ton of equipment. For what it did manpowerwise to the Confederates & in terms of closing the Mississippi for good & cutting the Confederacy in half, it was a huge victory. It reminds me of the Julius Caesar campaign & siege of Alesia-building fortifications to keep Pemberton bottled up & Johnston out. I would rank the Overland Campaign a close second in the fact that it was the campaign that wore out Lee & pushed him to Richmond/Petersburg-as Lee said, once there it was only a matter of time.
                Don't think I can add anymore insight. This post seems to cover it all.
                Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

This is such inaccurate statement that I can only assume that you are trolling (3rd post). If not, then I apologize , but you simply don't know what you are talking about. I would respond in detail but I see others have done so.

Although pushing Lee back to Petersburg in 40 days is impressive, I have to agree on Vicksburg. The logistics alone was difficult, but Grants maneuvers and coordination was brilliant. If only be had known that all he needed to do was walk up and siege the darn place!
                  Last edited by mikeck; 20 Dec 12, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeck View Post
                    This is such inaccurate statement that I can only assume that you are trolling (3rd post). If not, then I apologize , you simply don't know what you are talking about. I would respond in detail but I see others have done so.
                    Well said.
                    Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

This. Very well said

Comment

Vicksburg behind Petersburg\Appomatox by half a hair because the latter ended the war. Lee, not
                        Davis, was the symbol of the CSA, and once he surrendered, the other military forces followed suit.When Lee surrendered, every other CS force was still in the field. Think about it, in what other war did the surrender of first army, not the last, become the signal and symbol for the end?

Comment

Agree.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Let's just get this out of the way right now; are you a Lost Causer?
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

He tried to lose but failed in the end.
                              What?
                              “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                              ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X