Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice

Hello dear gents!

I'd like to fully understand the American Civil War,and i'd like you to advise me some documentaries that are easyly found on youtube.
    What do you think of Ken Burns work?Do you have a very good movie to recommend to me?
    Thank you very much.
    That rug really tied the room together

Oh, my friend, you have opened a can there pal, get ready. Have pen and paper at hand. If you are interested in the Civil War, this is the perfect site for you. These guys know their stuff. Ken Burns is good stuff, read some Shelby Foote, and ask any question.
    "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
      Hello dear gents!

I'd like to fully understand the American Civil War,and i'd like you to advise me some documentaries that are easyly found on youtube.
      What do you think of Ken Burns work?Do you have a very good movie to recommend to me?
      Thank you very much.
      What exactly are you looking for? A general overview of the war? Politics? Just the battles? We can tailor our responses better.
      The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

You say you want to "Fully" understand the Cival War...And we here at ACG certainly welcome your interest.
        That said, I wouldnt recommend starting with Youtube and movies.
        Read, read, read!!!!
        I suggest you start by reading "Battle Cry of Freedom". It's the hallmark of the Why&How of The American Cival War!

John
        The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
        It's truly a simple concept.
        Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

Thank you very much for your kind replies!
          In fact ,the most delicate part,for me,is to understand how all began.
          If you have got links...I can of course look by myself but,like we say in France:"il vaut mieux s'adresser au Bon Dieu qu' ses saints..".

Comment

Second Battle Cry of Freedom, and anything by Bruce Catton, especially his trilogy on the Army of the Potomac.

The official records, which is an unrivaled primary source is online. You might want to take a look.

Sincerely,
            M
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

If you DO want to watch a video, you cant go wrong with "Civil War" by Ken Burns. It is a good overview that stays clear of any real agenda.

Comment

Excellent suggestions so far.....here is an old thread where we discuss some of the best books for beginners:
                http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ecommendations
                The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Once again thank you chaps!
                  I will go to pick up some books names in the thread you advised me,and in fact,last summer,besides to "the war",Arte,our national cultural channel,proposed also "the civil war"..I watched both of them,and i have NEVER seen an equal programm in terms of quality .These were the best historical documentary i have seen.
                  So you seem to confirm i didn't failed on that judgement..

Comment

I think Bruce Catton is the way to go. His books are a little older but well written and researched. I also like Shelby Foote. He is a novelist but in my view very accurate historically. He is very easy to read. The only catch is that it is a 3 volume work and very long but well worth the read.
                    Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

Thanks Mike!
                      I came across a History channel programme named Gettysburg.Filmed like SPR,realised by Ridley Scott(in fact ,looks a bit like The Black Hawk dawn...)quite impressive.(i'm presently watching it...)

Comment

Thanks Mike!
                        I came across a History channel programme named Gettysburg.Filmed like SPR,realised by Ridley Scott(in fact ,looks a bit like The Black Hawk dawn...)quite impressive.(i'm presently watching it...)
                        There are some quirks with that History Channel version of Gettysburg, but overall it is not bad. By & far the best parts deal with Rufus Dawes, a Major in the 6th Wisconsin (part of the Iron Brigade). Our own resident cavalry expert Eric Wittenberg is currently doing a piece on him (not that he has anything to do with cavalry). If you are really into the films/documentaries, I recommend some of the ones produced for the National Parks. The one on Perryville is quite good:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Perryvi...rds=perryville

Comment

I finally watched it and was really impressed..Wahooo....
                          For a froggie used to cheap documentaries......
                          Besides the Hollywood effects,the R.Scott's gimmicks,it made me fully(IMO..) figure out the keys of this battle,and the strategy used by both camps.
                          By the way,i was thinking about the trauma this very battle has caused in the USA,years after ,and may be even today.
                          Do you think(no sarcasm in my question) that still today,you can feel a rupture in your society,something that has a bitter taste for the South:i.e:things could be different if we had won,we were so close to win,never forget that.
                          In France,medias are frequently stigmatizing the old antagonism beetween North and South.
                          Is this a reality,according to you?Thanx!
                          Am i clear enough?

Comment

Originally posted by LeanotLee View Post
                            You say you want to "Fully" understand the Cival War...And we here at ACG certainly welcome your interest.
                            That said, I wouldnt recommend starting with Youtube and movies.
                            Read, read, read!!!!
                            I suggest you start by reading "Battle Cry of Freedom". It's the hallmark of the Why&How of The American Cival War!

John
                            Thank you John !
                            The autor of this book,Mc Pherson,was interviewed at the very end of this documentary.I have a poor English level,i will look after a translated version of this particular work.

Comment

I finally watched it and was really impressed..Wahooo....
                              For a froggie used to cheap documentaries......
                              Besides the Hollywood effects,the R.Scott's gimmicks,it made me fully(IMO..) figure out the keys of this battle,and the strategy used by both camps.
                              By the way,i was thinking about the trauma this very battle has caused in the USA,years after ,and may be even today.
                              Do you think(no sarcasm in my question) that still today,you can feel a rupture in your society,something that has a bitter taste for the South:i.e:things could be different if we had won,we were so close to win,never forget that.
                              In France,medias are frequently stigmatizing the old antagonism beetween North and South.
                              Is this a reality,according to you?Thanx!
                              Am i clear enough?
                              Certain people do try & "refight" it. We refer to most of those folks as "Lost Causers". The vast majority of Americans recognize the war is over & the right side won.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X