Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Montgomery Alabama have been the capital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Montgomery Alabama have been the capital?

Had the capital have been further south it might very well have influenced strategy. It is true that to stone the Union armies in Virginia was important, especially keeping control of the Tredegar Ironworks in Richmond. But was this a strategy doomed to fail by attrition?

The losses in New Mexico, Arizona, the Red River speak of a focus on Washington DC, rather than the Confederate States of America. Your opinions? Fire away when ready.
    When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nș 8
    Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Originally posted by Nickuru View Post
    Had the capital have been further south it might very well have influenced strategy. It is true that to stone the Union armies in Virginia was important, especially keeping control of the Tredegar Ironworks in Richmond. But was this a strategy doomed to fail by attrition?

The losses in New Mexico, Arizona, the Red River speak of a focus on Washington DC, rather than the Confederate States of America. Your opinions? Fire away when ready.
    I have often wondered about that myself.
    I haven't studied that situation but would
    like to see a good discussion about.
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

Comment

Wasn't Virginia home to a disproportionate amount of Southern population and agriculture?
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

It wouid have made General Lee's job alot easier, not having to defend Richmond during most of the war.
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

But then again, Richmond was more than just the Confederate capital. It was a major manufacturing city with the Tredegar Iron works and a number of other factories and armories.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

With the iron works, the large amount of people and crops, and its cultural significance, Virginia seems to have been a centre of balance for the CSA.
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It would have been easier to defend... and you could still fight for Richmond.

Why do you have to have a capital anyway?

Except I guess for foreign diplomacy attempts.
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

To put the government somewhere
                ------

Comment

Can your government be anywhere... or do you need to name it's location your 'capital'? I would have kept it a secret .
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

From a political view Richmond was the proper choice for the capital. There was a lot that Va had to offer the south in manpower and prestige. I mean a lot of revolutionary heros came from there.
                    From a military perspective it was a bad choice. I believe Atlanta would have been a better choice. Either way te war would have been totally different if the capital was in a different place.
                    Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

I thought Montgomery was the capital for awhile at the beginning.

Comment

The truth is Tredegar Ironworks was paramount to Southern industry. Richmond would have to be significantly defended anyway, because it's importance was to southern artillery manufacture and industrial output.

However, that said, I believe if the Capital had been at Montgomery or at Nashville or Atlanta, maybe Confederate resources would have been better allocated to the Western Theater. Like Richmond, Nashville was also a city of some industrial importance, and it's loss early in the war was a catastrophe from which the Confederacy never recovered.
                        "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
                        Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Virginia is the most populous and wealthy state in the Confederacy. You also have critical industries there as stated, and the Shenandoah Valley is the most important breadbasket in the south. Richmond it was!

Regards,
                          Dennis
                          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                            Virginia is the most populous and wealthy state in the Confederacy. You also have critical industries there as stated, and the Shenandoah Valley is the most important breadbasket in the south. Richmond it was!

Regards,
                            Dennis
                            Dennis,

Absolutely!!! Richmond and Virginia were the Confederacy's most important city and state. And while I have gone on record as stating that a disproportionate amount of attention been has focused on the ANV, the AotP and the eastern theatre, it still was by a good measure the most important theatre and would have remained so even if the capital would have been in Montgomery (or Atlanta, Nashville or wherever you wanted to put it).

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

Regards,
                              Dennis
                              This is true, however the Confederacy was able to build ironclads like the Arkansas for use during the Red River campaign. Yoiur excellencies pointout that Virginia was a central political focus. But is it not possible, that this focus on Richmond might have harmed the western operations of the CSA?
                              When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nș 8
                              Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
                              "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X