Lincoln Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Film

I am waiting with much anticipation the Spielberg LINCOLN film to be screened in Australia.

A huge or 'epic' undertaking by Spielberg, I'm confident it will be good, but I hope the historical accuracy is maintained.

I have read it will focus on the final months of Lincolns life and especially the daily grind of being president under the circumstances at the time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJVuqYkI2jQ
    "I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy."

General James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902

I posted all sorts of stuff in the Movie/Tv forums about this.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
      I posted all sorts of stuff in the Movie/Tv forums about this.
      Thanks I'll check it out!
      "I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy."

General James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902

Comment

This may be a film I go see in theaters...I'd pay $8 a pop to see it.
        SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
          I been thinking the same thing and take my Grands.
          In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
          Robert E. Lee

Comment

Yep ! Me too, here in Ottawa, ON. Lincoln always fascinated me in every aspect. The guy was tall at 6'4". Only one other President equalled his height and that was Lyndon Johnson. I hope Spielberg used all his talent on that one. Bringing my wife to see it ... can't wait !
            A happy life is a happy wife.

Comment

We are planning to take it in the week after Thanksgiving. Until then football watching with the son and the pursuit of the Great Buck take priority!

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Took one of my Grands with me to see Lincoln
                I thought it was an excellent movie and would highly recommend it.
                In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
                Robert E. Lee

Comment

Recommend it myself. Kuschner & Spielberg cover a lot of ground during the screen time, and do it well. Lincoln is presented as a ordinary man, lawyer & politician who managed to rise above the noise and horror to seize the truly important object. That is the main story line is of Lincoln finding the way through to have the 13th Admendment passed.

Secondary storys follow his sons, wife, minor characters like some soldiers Lincoln speaks with in December 1864, one of the servants to Mrs Lincoln, the hachet men hired to lobby the Representatives in Congress, ect... These minor characters are skillfully developed & not simply props for the main characters. These scenes with the minor characters are richly nuanced with as much or more depth than many of the scenes of the important events. The opening scene where Lincoln chats with a handful of soldiers is one of these. The other occurs during the voting session on the 13th Admendment. This is a long & tense segment of the voting in the House of Representatives. Speilberg could have left it in the chamber and had a winner, but he cuts away for multiple shots of the telegraph offices as the operators, newspapernmen, soldiers, & others in the street across the US following the event litterally vote by vote as the roll call is made in the House chamber.

I also had to wonder if the actors wore their costumes unwashed a month, and went unbathed a week so as to get into character.

SPOILER HINT: Suprise in on of the post vote scenes concerning a personal matter of the Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committiee. A fact commonly know at the time & still well know to historians of the era will catch the attention of theater patrons when the chairman arrives home

Comment

It's an excellent movie and highly recommended.

Sincerely,
                    M
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                      Recommend it myself. Kuschner & Spielberg cover a lot of ground during the screen time, and do it well. Lincoln is presented as a ordinary man, lawyer & politician who managed to rise above the noise and horror to seize the truly important object. That is the main story line is of Lincoln finding the way through to have the 13th Admendment passed.

Secondary storys follow his sons, wife, minor characters like some soldiers Lincoln speaks with in December 1864, one of the servants to Mrs Lincoln, the hachet men hired to lobby the Representatives in Congress, ect... These minor characters are skillfully developed & not simply props for the main characters. These scenes with the minor characters are richly nuanced with as much or more depth than many of the scenes of the important events. The opening scene where Lincoln chats with a handful of soldiers is one of these. The other occurs during the voting session on the 13th Admendment. This is a long & tense segment of the voting in the House of Representatives. Speilberg could have left it in the chamber and had a winner, but he cuts away for multiple shots of the telegraph offices as the operators, newspapernmen, soldiers, & others in the street across the US following the event litterally vote by vote as the roll call is made in the House chamber.

I also had to wonder if the actors wore their costumes unwashed a month, and went unbathed a week so as to get into character.

SPOILER HINT: Suprise in on of the post vote scenes concerning a personal matter of the Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committiee. A fact commonly know at the time & still well know to historians of the era will catch the attention of theater patrons when the chairman arrives home
                      Great review, Carl. I knew that about Stevens, btw.
                      "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

I thought the movie was terrific... seems to catch the look and feel of the times brilliantly. I too knew about Stevens and his house keeper, when he climbed into bed a woman in front of me softly said "Oh my!"

Comment

Originally posted by skipperbob View Post
                          ... I too knew about Stevens and his house keeper, when he climbed into bed a woman in front of me softly said "Oh my!"
                          She did not see it on 'Oprah'.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                            Think again, $8 won't buy your coke!
                            CSA Ancestors-R.T.Conner&J.J.Sowell-1st TEXAS Inf./J.W.Conner-14th TEXAS Cav/J.T. Crawford-17th Cons.TEXAS Dismtd Cav/John & Hezekiah Williams-4th TEXAS Cav./Jack Williams-1st Reg.Cav.TEXAS State Troops
                            Federal Ancestors-By the Grace of GOD-0

Comment

Originally posted by PROUD TEXAN View Post
                              Think again, $8 won't buy your coke!
                              We all don't live in TX.

Matt can get the big tub of popcorn and a coke for less than $8.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X