X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punishment for straggling.

This doesn't look too good to me!!

http://www.civilwarhome.com/civilwarpunishment.htm
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

These punishments seemed to be geared to humilate the offending individual which I don't believe did any good. Humilating someone only hardeneds their resolve.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
      These punishments seemed to be geared to humilate the offending individual which I don't believe did any good. Humilating someone only hardeneds their resolve.
      Not sure if I agree that humiliation strengthens resolve. It has been a widely used form of punishment since the dark ages and is still used today. I do believe that it does not work on some people but the majority will seek to conform to avoid any future humiliation. Just my two cents.
      Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

Checkertail is right, humiliating soldiers or seamen is not good for morale. Like the film about North Carolina during the Civil War some years back. Someone got separated from their regiment and just headed home. Only to find themselves subjected to a witchhunt, I forget its name.

Morale is important in war, it makes operations quicker and more effective. For example, the British Navy and others had punishments like keel-hauling; ropes tied aroud the ship and the sailor pulled underneath the ship from one side to another. Practices like this do not improve morale of the troops or sailors.
        Last edited by Nickuru; 09 Nov 12, 00:10. Reason: spelling
        When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
        Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
        "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

Originally posted by Nickuru View Post
          Checkertail is right, humiliating soldiers or seamen is not good for morale. Like the film about North Carolina during the Civil War some years back. Someone got separated from their regiment and just headed home. Only to find themselves subjected to a witchhunt, I forget its name.

Morale is important in war, it makes operations quicker and more effective. For example, the British Navy and others had punishments like keel-hauling; ropes tied aroud the ship and the sailor pulled underneath the ship from one side to another. Practices like this do not improve morale of the troops or sailors.
          May be an apocryphal, but I seem to remember a Japanese Navy Slogan that went something like "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
          "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
          Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Punishment for infractions was a little rough during the period. Flogging had been done away with for the volunteer units, but not in the regulars.

And if your commander was a regular, discipline was tightened up, witness the assumption of command by Gibbon of what would become the Iron Brigade.

You also have to put the punishment in context with the period. Unfortunately, today we have assumed that humiliation is always a bad thing. It isn't.

Further, I do believe that a majority of the troops in a unit agreed with the level of punishment for serious offenses, such as the pictures illustrate. 'Cruel and inhuman' then is not the same as 'cruel and unhuman' now.

Maybe that's why we have a lot of crime...

Sincerely,
            M
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X