General Jackson is Dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Jackson is Dead!

This is from the diary of Captain Edward "Ned" Guerrant. Entry dated May 15th 1863.

General Jackson is Dead!

Was a nation's woe ever condensed in so few words..or a people's calamity so far beyond lanquage to express!
    O fate " That is the unkindest stroke of all"!
    All other losses we have ever sustained are light in comparison with this great calamity.
    So mighty a warrior..so dauntless a spirit...so pure a patriot and so devoted a Christian!
    A nations homage lay at his feet...it's honors crown his brow.
    We have not another Jackson to die!!
    Centuries are slow in the birth of such men.
    The Christian Napoleon..A greater than Alexander is dead!
    If a nation's prayers and tears could have availed anything at the Throne of Mercy then "Stonewall" Jackson would not have died.
    But God called him up higher...to the ranks of a mightier army , and almost peerless in that innumerable host..stands our great warrior.
    The fire of his genius will no longer lead his invincible legions to certain victory, and the screams of his exultant Eagles will no more echo along the bloody banks of the Rappahannock, or by the bosom of the Potomac or in the beautifull Valley of the Shenandoah..his own sweet "Valley of Virginia".
    But the memory of his deeds...his immortal deeds, still lives, and will live while genious has an admirer..liberty a devotee...Christ a follower...or Nobility a friend and patron.
    If human sacrifices could have shielded his life from death's fatal stroke..
    A thousand...yea ten thousand lives would have been offered up on War's bloody altar that "Stonewall" might live!

John
    The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
    It's truly a simple concept.
    Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

And the Myth begins...

Jackson would have helped in some battles but he could not overcome the huge differences between the resources of the North as opposed to the South. Given that no European powers would intervene, the South could not hope to defeat a stronger foe in a battle of attrition. Therefore, even if Jackson had lived to the end, his genius could only prolong the agony that was the Civil War, not change its outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TJN006 View Post
      And the Myth begins...

Jackson would have helped in some battles but he could not overcome the huge differences between the resources of the North as opposed to the South. Given that no European powers would intervene, the South could not hope to defeat a stronger foe in a battle of attrition. Therefore, even if Jackson had lived to the end, his genius could only prolong the agony that was the Civil War, not change its outcome.
      Stonewall Jackson was not myth, He was a human being just like you and me.
      His accomplishments are not myths. They are historical facts.
      In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
      Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
        I believe what Tom was referring to was the myth that if Jackson had lived he would had ensured a Confederate victory.

That said, some of his accomplishments, while impressive had been somewhat deified and inflated by his own contemporaries.
        "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
        Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Virginia public TV is airing a series of programs on Civil War events in that state. The last focused on the Battle of Chancellorsville and the fatal wounding of Jackson there.

I was distressed to see James Robertson repeatedly refer to exactly that idea; that Jackson living may have/would have insured victory. He never stated he believed it but made mention of it at least 4 times in the course of the show.

I don't think anyone here would deny that Jackson had gifts as a commander Marshall. However, some of the exaggeration associated with that reality isn't fact.

Nice to see you back around. The grandson's was by for a visit with his momma and today I'm off to camp for a couple or three days of turkey hunting. Life is good!

Regards,
          Dennis
          Last edited by D1J1; 24 Oct 12, 04:25.
          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

This news just in! General Jackson is still dead!

Comment

Originally posted by semperpietas View Post
              I believe what Tom was referring to was the myth that if Jackson had lived he would had ensured a Confederate victory.

That said, some of his accomplishments, while impressive had been somewhat deified and inflated by his own contemporaries.
              Please note I said General Jackson was a human being the same as you and me. Unless you don't understand what I said.
              In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
              Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                Virginia public TV is airing a series of programs on Civil War events in that state. The last focused on the Battle of Chancellorsville and the fatal wounding of Jackson there.

I was distressed to see James Robertson repeatedly refer to exactly that idea; that Jackson living may have/would have insured victory. He never stated he believed it but made mention of it at least 4 times in the course of the show.

I don't think anyone here would deny that Jackson had gifts as a commander Marshall. However, some of the exaggeration associated with that reality isn't fact.

Nice to see you back around. The grandson's was by for a visit with his momma and today I'm off to camp for a couple or three days of turkey hunting. Life is good!

Regards,
                Dennis
                Good morning. Hope you are successful hunting them turkelbirds!

What exaggeration do you speak of?
                Robert E. Lee

Comment

Marshall, do you really think he meant that Jackson was a myth? Noone here even begins to think that-he is referring to his god-like status amongst some Southerners.

EDIT: Changed the last word.
                  The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by semperpietas View Post

Exactly.
                    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Please note I said General Jackson was a human being the same as you and me. Unless you don't understand what I said.
                      I think you have missed the point here.....do you understand what Tom was saying?

Comment

Good morning. Hope you are successful hunting them turkelbirds!

What exaggeration do you speak of?
                        The exaggeration that the South would have won the Civil War if he were not killed when he was. That can be speculated on, but it can not be counted as fact.

Like any of us, his level of future performance can not be predetermined or guaranteed. Furthermore, no one can guarantee that he would not have suffered a similar fate the next day, week, month or year.

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Maybe if all the battles were fought only in the Valley.
                          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                            The exaggeration that the South would have won the Civil War if he were not killed when he was. That can be speculated on, but it can not be counted as fact.
                            Nor can it be discounted.

Like any of us, his level of future performance can not be predetermined or guaranteed. Furthermore, no one can guarantee that he would not have suffered a similar fate the next day, week, month or year.

Regards,
                            Dennis
                            Based on what he had done militarily that would surely be a good measure of
                            capability for him in the future had he lived. That ain't no myth.
                            Robert E. Lee

Comment

I guess I should have put some sort of explanation or purpose in my thread but was expecting (wrong apparently) that others would see it pretty much as I did.
                              To me it was well written but more importantly an insight into the tremendous idol worship of Jackson by the people supporting the "Southern Cause".
                              No if's or maybe's intended.

John
                              The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
                              It's truly a simple concept.
                              Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X