General Lee reorganizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Lee reorganizes.

Some of Lee's officers spoke up for General Stuart to take the 2nd Corp.
    Who would you replaced Stuart with if he was appointed?
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
    Some of Lee's officers spoke up for General Stuart to take the 2nd Corp.
    Who would you replaced Stuart with if he was appointed?
    Wade Hampton.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Of the brigadiers in Stuart's command, by skill and seniority, Wade Hampton III.
      "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
      Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Hampton indeed did replace Stuart in 1864 and performed superbly.
        "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

I'll go with the consensus here, and agree that Hampton would have been the ideal choice, as he proved in 1864.
          "Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!" -Daniel Webster

Comment

Easily Hampton.

Comment

Let me put it this way: Stuart's protege and personal choice was Fitz Lee. I've been studying Civil War cavalry actions for nearly 40 years, in those nearly 40 years, I have identified precisely 4 good days that Fitz had in the Civil War.

He was so bad during the summer of 1864 that his own uncle--the commanding general of the army--bypassed him in favor of Hampton. What does that tell you about Fitz Lee?

Comment

I'll defer to Eric and the others who picked Wade Hampton.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
                  Let me put it this way: Stuart's protege and personal choice was Fitz Lee. I've been studying Civil War cavalry actions for nearly 40 years, in those nearly 40 years, I have identified precisely 4 good days that Fitz had in the Civil War.

He was so bad during the summer of 1864 that his own uncle--the commanding general of the army--bypassed him in favor of Hampton. What does that tell you about Fitz Lee?
                  I would guess that Todd's Tavern, Kelly's Ford, and his scouting at Chancellorsville would account for three of the four. What's the fourth, out of curiosity?
                  "Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!" -Daniel Webster

Comment

From what I have read & learn't my choice would also be Hampton.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post

While Hampton was the obvious choice and its been awhile since I read them (so I could be wrong) but in Rheas books after Stuarts death didnt Lee originaly have the cavalry commands seperate and report to him direct.

I wonder if that may have been on the cards rather than appoint a new commander.

Comment

Originally posted by History fan View Post
                        While Hampton was the obvious choice and its been awhile since I read them (so I could be wrong) but in Rheas books after Stuarts death didnt Lee originaly have the cavalry commands seperate and report to him direct.

I wonder if that may have been on the cards rather than appoint a new commander.
                        You're correct, Geraint. However, that proved to be a disaster since it meant that nobody had the ability to take command, and that arrangement only last about 60 days before Lee recognized it was unworkable and fixed the problem.

Eric

Comment

I might be a little late but Wade Hampton. It is kind of ironic that a rich plantation owner with little to no military training was that good.
                          Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

If Stuart did replace jackson in 2 corps in 1863, Lee would need a comander he could trust as must as he trusted\relied on /stuart, he would have picked Hampton rather than his nephew, a) because it makes sense, b) because he'd bend over to avoid even the appearance of nepotism.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X