Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there Civil War Photo Researchers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there Civil War Photo Researchers out there?

Hi. Sorry to bother everyone, but are there any professional Civil War Photo Researchers out there that anyone knows about? These are my two great grandfathers who fought on opposite sides:

1. Edward Kuser was in the 12th Virginia Calvary Co. E. I have his roster records, POW release form, and 1909 Civil War pension form. The 12th Calvary has a memorial in downtown Front Royal, VA.

Edward's CO James Marshall and fellow soldier were at Brandy Station because they left their names on the wall. James Marshall is listed in Edward's Civil War pension application as his CO.

2. Thomas F. Williams was in the 13th Infantry Maryland Co. C. I have his roster records and 1886 Civil War pension form.

I'm not a professional ACW anything, but perhaps you should explain what exactly you are looking for? What out members can find is amazing. And Welcome to ACG.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Hi. I'm looking for photos of the two during the Civil War.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilWar View Post
        Hi. I'm looking for photos of the two during the Civil War.
        Good luck. Probably best you can do is find photos of the units and hope he is in there.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Have you tried ancestry.com?
          The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Hah, that's a tough one. I believe you can find a lot on Ancestry.com as Hellboy30 suggested, but you can also find regimental photos or even reunions and hope you're lucky enough they named all the individuals.

Comment

It's all luck. I've been looking for photos of two men from two different units for years. Ancestry is the best place to begin, but the information attached to many images becomes re-tagged and muddled as they pass from user to user, like a game of "telephone." Learn how to conduct searches using quotes to further refine results. Make a few calls to state historical museums and associations. Many local museums that are around where men of the unit resided usually have some photos that have never seen the light of day, or made it online. Legwork, legwork, legwork. ACG is a great place to crowdsource also. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
              ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                It's all luck. I've been looking for photos of two men from two different units for years. Ancestry is the best place to begin, but the information attached to many images becomes re-tagged and muddled as they pass from user to user, like a game of "telephone." Learn how to conduct searches using quotes to further refine results. Make a few calls to state historical museums and associations. Many local museums that are around where men of the unit resided usually have some photos that have never seen the light of day, or made it online. Legwork, legwork, legwork. ACG is a great place to crowdsource also. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
                Sometime if you are lucky you can find a picture you are looking for
                in 'Find-a-Grave' website.
                In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
                Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X