Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with some info on a civil war veteran document??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with some info on a civil war veteran document??

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and I was really hoping that someone here with more knowledge than myself can tell me something about this document.
    I cannot post a picture yet because I am too new so I will try to give my best description. These were "Military Memorial and War Record" lithographs that were produced in 1882-1883 and from what I understand given to veterans.

"Military Memorial" is printed in the top center, surrounded by portraits of former presidents, Washington, Jackson, Lincoln, and Garfield. Below the portraits are two scenes, one of soldiers marching to war, and the other of a peaceful scene of the aftermath. More portraits of important Civil War figures decorate the upper half. Both sides are filled with numbers and facts concerning the different battles in the war. Towards the middle of the poster is written "War Record", below which a form is printed, to be filled out with the information of the soldier to whom this belongs.

I came across this at an antique mall and was immediately drawn to it.. Not knowing enough about it I decided to do some research before making the purchase. I can find very little about this or its value. If any body can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Truly a fascinating piece of history, I just dont want to severely overpay for something that might be a lot more common than I realize.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!!!

Welcome to our family! I am not sure if this will help, but it is a start. Is there any information on the lithographs that you could plug into this link?

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/

This one might lead to some more info for you.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/search...%20/mode/exact

Let us know how the search goes.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Thank you so much twitter3 but I am still unable to find any information on this. Maybe I am looking in the wrong direction.. I guess I am just going to have to keep digging but so far I have only found a total of 3 others on the internet and they dont give me too much information.. Putting my research skills to the test! lol

Comment

If it helps at all.. my understanding is that this may have been something that was given out to Civil War Veterans at reunions and such... They were not printed till 1882-1883 so I guess that would make sense. There is an area on it where you would fill in the soldiers name, regiment, date of enlistment, some battles they were engaged in, discharge date and location etc.

Comment

I dont mean to keep posting on my own thread but I am trying to get to 5 posts so I can put the link in here and hopefully that will help....

Comment

Only one more, I promise!

Comment

Phew! Finally..lol OK, here is a link to one of the few I found and this one is at a museum in Indiana.. The page is slow to load fyi..at least for me it is..
              Has anyone seen one of these before?

http://www.lincolncollection.org/col...ada&item=22037

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                Berlin.1945
                by casanova
                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                Yesterday, 23:41
              • casanova
                AW 169M
                by casanova
                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                Yesterday, 23:26
              • JBark
                What changed?
                by JBark
                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                Yesterday, 18:54
              Working...
              X