Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today in History, Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in History, Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862.

I will place pictures of the location where my G-Grand fought.

This is Boteler’s ford that Stonewall used to take his army across
    heading to battle. There appears to be another ford just a little
    upstream and also there is one downstream the camera couldn't
    catch.

I understand all of the black signs were the first signs put there
    by the Government. The Sharpsburg Pike is located behind the sign.

West Woods.

The path was taken by Early’s division which included
    the 52nd Virginia moving up to todays Dunker Church Road.
    My Grandson and I walked this trail and to me It felt a little strange
    thinking I was walking in my G-Grands footsteps up to the edge of the road!!

I will put up more pictures a little later.
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

Makes history seem much closer when you know your family was involved. Nice pics

Comment

Agreed, nice pictures.
      The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
        Agreed, nice pictures.
        Thanks. I did a hurry up job due to timing for the
        family slide presentation which has already taken
        2-1/2 years or better.

I don't have the knowledge to do a tell-all about
        any battle.

I do recommend the Antietam Animation Semper posted
        as a followup if there are those of you that haven't
        seen it.

M
        In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
        Robert E. Lee

Comment

My own ancestor, Pvt. Christopher Newman, was at the battle. He fought in the 3rd Arkansas Infantry in Walker's Brigade, Walker's Division, Longstreet's Command under Colonel Van H. Manning.

http://www.antietam.stonesentinels.c...ersCS/M367.php

They supported D.H. Hill's left, counterattacking against the Dunker Church and West Woods. The 3rd even counterattacked the flank of the Federals who broke through at the Sunken road and were only stopped by a lack of ammunition. They then held their positions without ammunition. When inquired about them Longstreet replied "There they are, and they haven't a cartridge."
          "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
          Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Originally posted by semperpietas View Post
            My own ancestor, Pvt. Christopher Newman, was at the battle. He fought in the 3rd Arkansas Infantry in Walker's Brigade, Walker's Division, Longstreet's Command under Colonel Van H. Manning.

http://www.antietam.stonesentinels.c...ersCS/M367.php

They supported D.H. Hill's left, counterattacking against the Dunker Church and West Woods. The 3rd even counterattacked the flank of the Federals who broke through at the Sunken road and were only stopped by a lack of ammunition. They then held their positions without ammunition. When inquired about them Longstreet replied "There they are, and they haven't a cartridge."
            Very good!! The 52nd was mostly in the West Woods and around the Dunkerd Church. Their casualties were-
            KIA 8
            WIA 30
            POW 2

Taken from Confederate Regimental History.

Semper, you have any of those books?
            Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
              Very good!! The 52nd was mostly in the West Woods and around the Dunkerd Church. Their casualties were-
              KIA 8
              WIA 30
              POW 2

Taken from Confederate Regiment History.

Semper, you have any of those books?
              Not those in particular.

I do own Collier's history of the regiment.

http://www.amazon.com/Theyll-tie-Reg...antry+Regiment
              "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Comment

I highly recommend "The Maps of Antietam: An Atlas of the Antietam (Sharpsburg) Campaign, including the Battle of South Mountain, September 2 - 20, 1862" (Savas Beatie Military Atlas) by Bradley Gottfried. http://www.amazon.com/The-Maps-Antie.../dp/1611210860
                Picked it up about 2 months ago & it is excellent.
                The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I highly recommend "The Maps of Antietam: An Atlas of the Antietam (Sharpsburg) Campaign, including the Battle of South Mountain, September 2 - 20, 1862" (Savas Beatie Military Atlas) by Bradley Gottfried. http://www.amazon.com/The-Maps-Antie.../dp/1611210860
                  Picked it up about 2 months ago & it is excellent.
                  Yep. Got it myself. David Powell is supposed to do a Maps of Chattanooga after his two volume study of Chickamauga comes out. That looks interesting.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Comment

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/308087-1
                    Historians Brooks Simpson and Mark Grimsley lead a group on a day-long tour of Antietam National Battlefield, the 1862 engagement that is considered the bloodiest single day in American history. Visiting key locations at the National Park, including the Cornfield, Sunken Road and Burnside Bridge, the historians use the landscape and demonstrations to show what the battle was like for the armies on the ground.

Comment

Flags of Antietam:

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...ntietam-flags/

Comment

Nice.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Comment

One of my absolute favorite moments at Antietam is when after the Sunken Road position is shattered and Longstreet and D.H. Hill are doing everything they can to rally troops in Lee's center. D.H. Hill (who was dismounted in an earlier humorous instance with Longstreet) on foot picked up a musket and try to rally his division. Longstreet focused his efforts on artillery, namely a battery of the Washington Artillery along the Piper's Farm position. Casualties has rendered one of the guns combat ineffective, so Longstreet ordered his staff to man the guns while he held the horses and called out targets and ranges.

Dale Gallon and Don Troiani both have beautiful paintings of this. Here is Gallons' below.

The Washington Artillery would ever after be known as Longstreet's Battery in affection for it's corps commander.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Comment

This pic is the home of Henry Kyd Douglas. Heading out of Shepherds Town and crossing the Potomac River toward Sharpsburg, as you top the hill the house sets on the left side of the road.

And the sunken road.

The inside of the Dunkard Church which was used as a hospital.

This concludes my pictures for this time.
                            Robert E. Lee

Comment

The Maps of Antietam

Thank you for mentioning our book, The Maps of Antietam. If you would like more information about the book, including an excerpt, or its author, please check at http://tinyurl.com/7lew92l.
                              Savas Beatie LLC
                              Publisher of Historical Titles of Distinction
                              www.savasbeatie.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X