No announcement yet.

Eye witness to the Confederate march through Frederick, Md-Dr. Lewis Steiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye witness to the Confederate march through Frederick, Md-Dr. Lewis Steiner

I post this mainly because it's place in history was in this time frame
    just before the Battle of Antietam! Personally, I find many discrepancies
    in his report about the Confederate Army which tends to make me disbelieve
    it completely. But it does have it's place in this time frame mentioned.

http://www.archive.org/stream/report...irich_djvu.txt
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

Good find, the writing seems consistent with what I would read had the situation been reversed. It will give us something to chew on until we have a real meal next Thursday at worst!!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Here is a photo of Confederate troops marching through Frederick that day. It only one of a handful of known photographs of Confederate troops in the field.

Last edited by semperpietas; 14 Sep 12, 11:25.
      "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
      Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

What type of discrepancies do you have with Dr. Steiner, B7B?

Comment

Originally posted by AboveAverage484 View Post
          What type of discrepancies do you have with Dr. Steiner, B7B?
          Well, let me see. I always had a notion the Confederate soldiers may not have been well dressed but according to the picture it shows this group to be well clothed.

Also the dead Confederates on the battle fields I have looked at tend to show
          they too were well clothed, and particularly, they had their shoes on.

M
          In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
          Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
            Good find, the writing seems consistent with what I would read had the situation been reversed. It will give us something to chew on until we have a real meal next Thursday at worst!!

Regards,
            Dennis
            That we can do perhaps with grits, and scrambles with ham and cheese!!
            Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
              Well, let me see. I always had a notion the Confederate soldiers may not have been well dressed but according to the picture it shows this group to be well clothed.

Also the dead Confederates on the battle fields I have looked at tend to show
              they too were well clothed, and particularly, they had their shoes on.

M
              For uniforms the Confederates were usually very well clothed, at least in the Army of Northern Virginia and Army of Tennessee after the summer of 1862.

http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-2.htm

Each army established a depot where uniforms would be made and issued to troops. For the Army of Northern Virginia this would be a depot in Richmond, and for the Army of Tennessee would primarily a depot in Columbus Georgia. Some states like North Carolina made their own uniforms for issue to the troops. Most notably North Carolina issued new uniforms to the soldiers from its states in late May of 1863, before many of them would go to Gettysburg. After Spring of 1862 almost all depots manufactured a uniform consisted of a waist length shell jacket, trousers, and a kepi. Usually kepis were discarded by individual troops in favor of a slouch or straw hat (for coolness). Only cut and color varied by depot.

Since the photo is taken in September of 1862, you can still see frock coats (early uniform choice discarded in favor of material light jackets) in use. Some men would have frock coats until the end of the war, but usually these were made at home.
              "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
              Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

I guess it all depends on which units where seen. I wouldn't be surprised to see men in Jackson's command in rags; after all, they had seen hard fighting from the Shenandoah through the Seven Days and Manassas. I believe Lee himself deplored the ragged condition of some of his troops on more than one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
                  That we can do perhaps with grits, and scrambles with ham and cheese!!
                  You are so badly culturally deprived! Maybe I should send Mrs. R recipes for pierogi, halupka, and halushka! You know, real food!

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                    You are so badly culturally deprived! Maybe I should send Mrs. R recipes for pierogi, halupka, and halushka! You know, real food!

Regards,
                    Dennis
                    That would be a hoot, wouldn't it!!
                    Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X