The town of Dayton, Virginia's Hero!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The town of Dayton, Virginia's Hero!

General Sheridan's order at Dayton, Virginia.

Having some spare time wheeling through the Country side around Dayton, Virginia after delivering my Grandson to his college classes,
    a little piece of history was laid before me by an occupant of the Farmers Market there
    creating some interest to me to find more CW history..

Being of the curious sort as far as the Civil War goes I went back and refreshed my memory
    from the book, The Burning by John Heatwole, now deceased, about the
    order to destroy this community.
    On this particular day, Captain John Rodgers Meigs took a ride heading out to spot Confederates to see what they were up to.
    A short distant from Dayton during his ride he met some confederate scouts doing the same thing,
    he was ordered to surrender, but trying to defend himself he was shot and killed.

Sheridan ordered everything burned to the ground within a 3 mile radius around Dayton
    but was talked out of it by a fellow Union soldier after finding those that shot Captain Meigs were Confederate Scouts of the CSA Army.
    Here is the story and some of my pictures where he was killed.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jrmeigs.htm

I took this pictue to show the dedicated stone and the old road where Meigs met the Confederates.
    The local farm marked this spot to show where meigs fell.
    The concrete seat is located in the middle of the old road.

The town placed a thank you monument in town dedicated to the soldier for talking Sheridan out of burning Dayton to the ground.
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

Interesting story.....thanks for posting!

P.S. great pics
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Good stuff Marshall! I hope you left the young man with the two things a college fellow needs, cash and more cash!

I was going to say good advice, but I sure didn't want any at that point in time!

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
        Good stuff Marshall! I hope you left the young man with the two things a college fellow needs, cash and more cash!

I was going to say good advice, but I sure didn't want any at that point in time!

Regards,
        Dennis
        My part is to make sure I carry the whip to get him places on time! Sweet thang dishes the cash because she is more sparing than me!!
        In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
        Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
          Interesting story.....thanks for posting!

P.S. great pics
          Thanks, Hellboy. The place is SO out of the way and Sheridan gets all the notice.

Marshall
          Robert E. Lee

Comment

pretty cool, Thanks for sharing
            Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X