Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This day in History,Chantilly. (Ox Hill) Prelude to Antietam

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This day in History,Chantilly. (Ox Hill) Prelude to Antietam

    Jackson’s flank attack.



    This is about all there is of a 5 acre battlefield.
    The Cemetery stones are under the big Oak tree.



    Jackson’s flank attack.

    This is about all there is of a 5 acre battlefield.



    Graves of the 2 Generals.
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

  • #2
    Loss of Gen Stevens and Kearney really hurted the Union here.
    Who knows, Kearney may have replaced Pope instead of Mac if he hadn't been so much like Reynolds at Gettysburg, leading from the front.

    Comment


    • #3
      "hurt" , LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mgronski View Post
        Loss of Gen Stevens and Kearney really hurted the Union here.
        Who knows, Kearney may have replaced Pope instead of Mac if he hadn't been so much like Reynolds at Gettysburg, leading from the front.
        That and losing Reno at South Mountain. Fall of 1862 was hard on the leadership of the AotP.
        "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

        Pyrrhus Travels West:
        Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

        Comment


        • #5
          and losing Rodman at Antietam made it a trifeca of death for the divisions of Burnsides 9th Corps.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mgronski View Post
            Loss of Gen Stevens and Kearney really hurted the Union here.
            Who knows, Kearney may have replaced Pope instead of Mac if he hadn't been so much like Reynolds at Gettysburg, leading from the front.
            Mike,

            Agreed. In particular, Phil Kearny was a most respected officer, thought of highly on both sides. A real leader, his bravery and performance during the Mexican War garnered respect from the top level, with Winfield Scott calling him "a perfect soldier." He proved a formidable opponent during the Civil War and his death was certainly a blow to the AotP.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mgronski View Post
              and losing Rodman at Antietam made it a trifeca of death for the divisions of Burnsides 9th Corps.
              Plus the death of Richardson in 2nd Corps and you blind some real potential stars that the Army of the Potomac had.
              "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

              Pyrrhus Travels West:
              Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

              Comment


              • #8
                Semp,
                Another waste of manpower because Porter and Mac grew tailfeathers. This was the point 5Th Corps was needed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mgronski View Post
                  Semp,
                  Another waste of manpower because Porter and Mac grew tailfeathers. This was the point 5Th Corps was needed.
                  That fight was the most messed up point of contact I have ever read about.
                  Everything I have read says there was one heck of a storm that hit which affected both sides so bad they couldn't even fire their rifles to any great extent.

                  They couldn't see and that one general that was killed rode right into the Confederate army and didn't know where he was and was killed trying to get away.
                  In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
                  Robert E. Lee

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mgronski View Post
                    Semp,
                    Another waste of manpower because Porter and Mac grew tailfeathers. This was the point 5Th Corps was needed.
                    1862 was the end for both officers.
                    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
                    Robert E. Lee

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
                      That fight was the most messed up point of contact I have ever read about.
                      Everything I have read says there was one heck of a storm that hit which affected both sides so bad they couldn't even fire their rifles to any great extent.

                      They couldn't see and that one general that was killed rode right into the Confederate army and didn't know where he was and was killed trying to get away.
                      That was Kearny. Even A.P. Hill (whose men shot Kearny) thought he deserved a better fate.
                      "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

                      Pyrrhus Travels West:
                      Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by semperpietas View Post
                        That was Kearny. Even A.P. Hill (whose men shot Kearny) thought he deserved a better fate.
                        Yea, and then Hill took on a suicide run.
                        In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
                        Robert E. Lee

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by B7B Southern View Post
                          That fight was the most messed up point of contact I have ever read about.
                          Everything I have read says there was one heck of a storm that hit which affected both sides so bad they couldn't even fire their rifles to any great extent.

                          They couldn't see and that one general that was killed rode right into the Confederate army and didn't know where he was and was killed trying to get away.
                          At the height of the battle during that rainstorm, A.P. Hill sent Jackson an urgent message, "My compliments to General Jackson and my request to be permitted to take my command out of the line because all my ammunition is wet." Jackson's response to this was, "My compliments [to General Hill] and tell him the enemy's ammunition is equally wet as his!"
                          The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            fergedaboudit. Have a good day!
                            Last edited by B7B Southern; 06 Sep 12, 06:04.
                            In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
                            Robert E. Lee

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
                              At the height of the battle during that rainstorm, A.P. Hill sent Jackson an urgent message, "My compliments to General Jackson and my request to be permitted to take my command out of the line because all my ammunition is wet." Jackson's response to this was, "My compliments [to General Hill] and tell him the enemy's ammunition is equally wet as his!"
                              Hellboy,

                              I always liked that quote. Typical Jackson, a fighter to the end.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X