Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner Bros. Removing Confederate Flag From ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ Car

http://screencrush.com/dukes-of-hazzard-flag/

The General Lee – Bo and Luke Duke’s vehicle of choice from ‘The Dukes of Hazzard‘ – is a classic and instantly recognizable Hollywood car. But it’s about to get a little less recognizable as Warner Bros., the studio that owns the theatrical, DVD and licensing rights to ‘The Dukes of Hazzard,’ has decided to remove the confederate flag from all future versions of the car.

The news has reportedly been floating around the hobby community over the past few days as ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ collectors became aware of a new regulation. A collector on HobbyTalk.com was told by a representative at ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ toy company Tomy:

Starting January 1, 2013 all Dukes of Hazzard General Lee vehicles will not be allowed to be produced with the Confederate Flag on the top of the vehicle.

According to the toy rep, the word came directly from Warner Bros. who no longer wants to endorse an item that has the Confederate flag printed on it.

As of now, this directive only expressly includes merchandising but Warner Bros. is developing a new ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ movie with Jody Hill directing and if they’re being this strict about licensing issues, they could very well enforce the same policy with the upcoming film. But what is a ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ property without the General Lee with the flag painted on top?

What do you think? Is it a smart move for a company like Warner Bros. to distance themselves from the symbolic nature of the Confederate flag or do you think it’s an overly PC kneejerk reaction.
    I have to say, this is an interesting move. From the POV of someone being a fan, this is, quite frankly, nuts. The problem is, if these people would stay calm & remark on it, many of us who sit in the middle of the road would sympathize with them. However, after reading the nasty comments that were posted on here, I cannot side with folks whose knee jerk reactions are to blame a.) Yankees b.) Jews c.) people who supposedly don't recognize the flag as a "historic" symbol and the "non-slavery" meanings behind it. They use this as excuse to spew hate & anger-why? I disagree with Warner Brothers-why mess with the original product? Of course, I also fall into the "Han shot first" category. However, I will not support folks who immediately go into rage mode & start blaming everyone who is a convienent target & distorting history. Yes, slavery was the major cause. Stop trying to use this as a platform to distort history. You will draw more flies with honey then vinegar-just saying.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

It's a cool looking flag, and it look's pretty damn nice on the General. Shame they feel the need to mess with things.

*sigh*

It's a shame PCism sucks the fun out of almost everything these days.
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
      I have to say, this is an interesting move. From the POV of someone being a fan, this is, quite frankly, nuts. The problem is, if these people would stay calm & remark on it, many of us who sit in the middle of the road would sympathize with them. However, after reading the nasty comments that were posted on here, I cannot side with folks whose knee jerk reactions are to blame a.) Yankees b.) Jews c.) people who supposedly don't recognize the flag as a "historic" symbol and the "non-slavery" meanings behind it.
      They should rename the car while they are at it. Perhaps the General Sherman or General Grant? It's dumb move and gives the bigots another chance to spout.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        They should rename the car while they are at it. Perhaps the General Sherman or General Grant? It's dumb move and gives the bigots another chance to spout.
        They could be really controversial and rename the car the General Forrest.

While I can't stand the show or the movies, I do think changing the icon will cause backlash, and unfortunately create a platform for the Neo-Confederates.
        "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
        Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Or the Stonewall. Stupid f--king idiots.
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

More I think about it. Before long,they'll be telling us the south didn't f--king exist! This is pure and utter BS. Okay,what about all the records and the history books? Re-write them. We wouldn't want to offend anyone. BS. It is a sign of heritage to too many of us. Not hatred. Not bigotry. This Warner crap is bigotry of the worst kind. I hope no one buys them. Hell,I have 2 General Lee's in one display case. Signed. Politically Incorrect-and damn proud of it.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hell, the depiction of southern culture and law enforcement is more offensive than a darn battle flag. Git' em Flash!...gee geee geee geee....

The whole show basically makes fun of the south...and they are worried about a flag? Good lord, who cares. Are they going to confiscate by bo duke lunch box?

Comment

Warner Bros. Staff -

Comment

Originally posted by mikeck View Post
                  Hell, the depiction of southern culture and law enforcement is more offensive than a darn battle flag. Git' em Flash!...gee geee geee geee....

The whole show basically makes fun of the south...and they are worried about a flag? Good lord, who cares. Are they going to confiscate by bo duke lunch box?
                  Righto! And you would think they would realize not many of the people complaining about that kind of stuff watch the show anyway . Not so good for re-run business.

Next the Confederate Flag will be pixeled out in future movies.
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

While I am of the opinion that slavery was the sole issue that drove the nation to Civil War, this kind of crapola is ridiculous beyond belief!

As Stephen A. Smith has to say to all to frequently say to that walking fount of drivel Skip Bayless on ESPN............

Stop it!!!!!
                    Just stop it!!!!
                    Regards,
                    Dennis
                    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricthofen View Post
                      Warner Bros. Staff -

Comment

Are they going to remove the horn from the General Lee because it played the first few bars of "Dixie"?

Comment

Being pc ruining this country. If you don't like something don't support it that is your right. Just don't make me support it to or lose my rights to it.
                          Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                            I have an issue of Hot Rod from some years back that has a "Reader's Ride" photo sent in from somebody who indeed built a "General Grant."
                            I think they joked that the horn must play "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."
                            ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by midaeu View Post
                              Being pc ruining this country. If you don't like something don't support it that is your right. Just don't make me support it to or lose my rights to it.
                              Agree with you for the most part on the PC stuff. I don't see where you have lost your right to anything. WB made a business decision. Whether we like the logic behind it or not it is just that, a business decision. You may now either support it with your $$$ or not, but you've lost nothing here.

Regards,
                              Dennis
                              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X