Chasing Pancho Villa, 1916

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing Pancho Villa, 1916

Attached are a couple of pages from three photo albums in the U.S. National Archives depicting General Pershing's expedition into Mexico in 1916 to pursue Pancho Villa after his raid on Columbia, New Mexico. The contrasts - sombreros, biplanes, horses, six-shooters, gas depots, campfires, firing squads, tent cities and automobiles - make the albums a fascinating study in the last gasp of the Old West.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jon Jordan; 12 May 10, 10:11.
    "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
    -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Here are two more pages. The photo quality is poor since I didn't go there to look for these photos - they are some of the gems you pick up when nosing around archives (usually while waiting for your intended documents to be retrieved).

Enjoy...
    Attached Files
    "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
      Attached are a couple of pages from three photo albums in the U.S. National Archives depicting General Pershing's expedition into Mexico in 1916 to pursue Pancho Villa after his raid on Columbia, New Mexico. The contrasts - sombreros, biplanes, horses, six-shooters, gas depots, campfires, firing squads, tent cities and automobiles - make the albums a fascinating study in the last gasp of the Old West.
      Fascinating contrasts indeed as you say
      So this is the Wild West setting where lieutenant Patton made his first impression on the press when taking out a couple of hombres with his pistol.
      IIRC Patton had been a member of the US Olympic team to the 1912 Games in Stockholm in the pistol shooting discipline
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSennef View Post
        Fascinating contrasts indeed as you say
        So this is the Wild West setting where lieutenant Patton made his first impression on the press when taking out a couple of hombres with his pistol.
        IIRC Patton had been a member of the US Olympic team to the 1912 Games in Stockholm in the pistol shooting discipline
        Evidently the Modern Pentathlon was limited to military men back then, and it featured five activities of importance to soldiers - running, swimming, fencing, shooting, and riding. (I think it may be similar today.) Not the big audience draw of the FIFA World Cup, but an interesting event nonetheless.

I hope to copy more of these pictures, as they do a good job of describing life on the campaign trail.

Comment

It's a very interesting bit of US military history. Several future WWII generals would "cut their teeth" in hunt for Villa.

The story of the raid on Coumbus NM is also very interesting... LINK
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Nice. Did you photograph these yourself? If so, were they at Archives I in D.C. or in Archives II in College Park?

Thanks.

Comment

Great pictures and article. I agree - pretty much the last gasp for the Old West.
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Great information. Thanks for sharing!
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

The 1st Battalion, 13th Armor used to have a Benet-Mercier Machinegun on display in their Battalion Hqs (Fort Hood, 1969-70) that they reportedly captured from Villa's troops after the raid on Columbus (which was garrisoned by a troop of the then 13th Cavalry). Since it was in a glass display case I was unable to verify if it had U.S. Springfield Armory markings, and had perhaps been previously stolen or taken from U.S. forces.
                  dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    It's a very interesting bit of US military history. Several future WWII generals would "cut their teeth" in hunt for Villa.

The story of the raid on Coumbus NM is also very interesting... LINK
                    Not just WWII, but WWI generals as well.
                    James Harbord
                    John Hines
                    Benny Foulois
                    Robert Howze
                    Hugh Johnson
                    Leslie McNair (yes, that one - the youngest general in the US Army in WWI at age 35)

To name a few notables

Comment

Family lore holds that one of my great-great uncles, after disembarking at Ellis Island following his voyage from Russia, went and enlisted, and found himself attached to Pershing's Punitive Expedition. Word is he's been listed as missing-in-action ever since.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

The Society of the Military horse forum has a few good posts on this, my favourite one is from a fine old Texan and horseman named Pat Holscher,
                        http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/v...=2362&start=60

"After reading Eisenhower's "Intervention" a thought occured to me regarding the way the Punitive Expedition is often summed up. I've read, more than once, that it was the swan song of the cavalry and showed that the era of mechanization had occured.

That may be obvious in hindsight, but what struck me is that at the time, and in the context of the era itself, it seems to have really demonstrated the viability of cavalry, and that the new internal combustion engine vehicles didn't render cavalry obsolete, but liberated it, somewhat, from long slow logistical tails, which had always been a problem.

Consider that, with a solitary exception that I'm aware of, nearly all of the real combat, patroling,, etc., was done by cavalry, but that supply functions were accomplished through automobile, train, and wagon. That seems to suggest that, at that time, the Quartermaster Corps appeared to be the real benificiary of mechanization.

More at http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/v...php?f=3&t=2976

Last edited by Chukka; 14 May 10, 23:55.
                        One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                        Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

More Pics, love seeing the long cavalry columns
                          All from http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/v...=2976&start=20

Horses and trucks

Aeroplane Hangers.....

Military saddles with horns, unusual

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Last one, classic Bike!

Last edited by Chukka; 15 May 10, 22:22.

Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post
                              Nice. Did you photograph these yourself? If so, were they at Archives I in D.C. or in Archives II in College Park?

Thanks.
                              I just had a camera and shot these out of a photo album (the photos were copies, not the originals) at Archives II. I was there for a completely different project when I ran across them while waiting for a pull. There are three albums, and I didn't have the time or card space to snap all. I plan on looking back through those albums again someday.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X