Well, look at this:

March 2, 1836 the Republic of Texas formally declared Independence from
    Mexico.

March 2, 1793: the first president of the Republic of Texas was born near
    Lexington, Va. Sam Houston.

Anybody else celebrating with me?
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Some of the most interesting history I have read is the history of my adopted state.

Comment

Gone to Texas

Guess I'll just have to break out my copy of
      Gone to Texas and watch it tonight.

The American West has produced more than its share of legends, but none greater than the true-life story of Sam Houston. SAM ELLIOTT is the frontier hero and statesman whose bravery and vision led to the creation of…Texas! 1829 - Sam Houston's career as the popular governor of Tennessee ends in disgrace and heartbreak. He treks back to the happy place of his boyhood among the Cherokee Indians. Houston finds love with a part-Cherokee (DEVON ERICSON) and honor as he negotiates peace among warring tribes. Yet the U.S. Government destroys his triumph by coldly seizing the Cherokee land. In despair, he heads up to the Mexican territory of Texas to join his old friend Jim Bowie (MICHAEL BECK) in an epic fight for the liberation of what will one day be the state of Texas. A star-studded cast including JAMES STEPHENS as Stephen Austin recreate a pivotal crossroads of the United States...when Sam Houston has "GONE TO TEXAS."
      Attached Files
      17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post

Some of the most interesting history I have read is the history of my adopted state.
        I've read James A Mitchener's "Texas" and it was one of the most interesting historical novels that I have read. It struck me as a truly unique part of the USA and I hope to visit it one day to see it first hand.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
          I've read James A Mitchener's "Texas" and it was one of the most interesting historical novels that I have read. It struck me as a truly unique part of the USA and I hope to visit it one day to see it first hand.
          Well then get your butt over here! I've been over there to Oz. Stayed in the South Gate area of Melbourne. Happened to be there for Oz Day too. Fighter jets flying around. Free rock concert in the park. What's with those people who were driving their cars naked and drunk?

Comment

I've seen parts of the Outback that looked like Southwest Texas - the sunsets around Alice Springs are nicer, but you won't find better food than in South Texas!

Interestingly, Texas politics swung as wildly as American politics today - the Texian voters wanted to throw Houston out in 1838 (he couldn't run for a second consecutive term anyway), but in 1841 they wanted him back.
            "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
            -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

but in 1841 they wanted him back.

They still do.

Thanks

Comment

I just now saw this thread: Mr. Houston & Texas are very much entwined now for the betterment of both.

Comment

Originally posted by TJAdams View Post
                  I just now saw this thread: Mr. Houston & Texas are very much entwined now for the betterment of both.
                  And it coincides with the annual Houston Rodeo festivities.

Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X