Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jesse James at Northfield

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jesse James at Northfield

    Northfield, Minnesota, is less than an hour's drive from my house. The James Gang robbed a bank there once upon a time, but things went awry and the townspeople defeated the gang.

    Each year they celebrate with "Defeat of Jesse James Days." I haven't been to one of those yet. For one thing, my wife hates that period of history and doesn't even like to drive near Northfield, for fear that I might want to visit the little museum again.

    I did visit the museum with a friend once. It's at the site of the bank that was robbed (1st National, IIRC), and there are a few artifacts around. It's been a while, but I seem to recall some bullet holes, ledger books, the vault (or at least the vault door), and one or two of the James Gang's pistols. Also a newspaper article about Custer's Last Stand--so I'm guessing the bank robbery happened the same year, 1876.

    Seems to me I saw a made-for-TV movie about the Northfield raid many years ago. But I've never read much of anything about it. Anybody care to fill in any missing pieces?
    --Patrick Carroll


    "Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

  • #2
    Re: Jesse James at Northfield

    Originally posted by Patrick Carroll
    Northfield, Minnesota, is less than an hour's drive from my house. The James Gang robbed a bank there once upon a time, but things went awry and the townspeople defeated the gang.
    Yikes! I didn't know they got that far north!

    The event sounds like a hoot!

    JS
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


    "Never pet a burning dog."

    RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Re: Jesse James at Northfield

      Originally posted by Janos
      Yikes! I didn't know they got that far north!

      The event sounds like a hoot!
      Here's a Web site I just found:
      http://www.djjd.org/
      --Patrick Carroll


      "Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Jesse James at Northfield

        Originally posted by Patrick Carroll
        Northfield, Minnesota, is less than an hour's drive from my house. The James Gang robbed a bank there once upon a time, but things went awry and the townspeople defeated the gang.

        Each year they celebrate with "Defeat of Jesse James Days." I haven't been to one of those yet. For one thing, my wife hates that period of history and doesn't even like to drive near Northfield, for fear that I might want to visit the little museum again.

        I did visit the museum with a friend once. It's at the site of the bank that was robbed (1st National, IIRC), and there are a few artifacts around. It's been a while, but I seem to recall some bullet holes, ledger books, the vault (or at least the vault door), and one or two of the James Gang's pistols. Also a newspaper article about Custer's Last Stand--so I'm guessing the bank robbery happened the same year, 1876.

        Seems to me I saw a made-for-TV movie about the Northfield raid many years ago. But I've never read much of anything about it. Anybody care to fill in any missing pieces?
        There was a made for TV movie called "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" that was so-so at best. The best movie about the James/Younger Gang robbery attempt is "The Long Riders" with the Keach brothers as the James brothers and the Caradine brothers as the Younger brothers.
        Lance W.

        Peace through superior firepower.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've always lived in the Twin Cities area. When I was a youngster my parents would drive down to Northfield to visit friends and enjoy Jesse James Days. There was a full re-enactment of the botched robbery....i haven't seen it for for 26 or 27 years but i'm sure they still hold the event. We must have gone from '76-'79....

          One of the gang members ended up doing a life sentance in the old Stillwater Prison (20 east of St. Paul...on the St Croix River across from Somerset, WI.)...I think his name was Charles Giteau or something like that....
          Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Re: Jesse James at Northfield

            Originally posted by Lance Williams
            There was a made for TV movie called "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" that was so-so at best. The best movie about the James/Younger Gang robbery attempt is "The Long Riders" with the Keach brothers as the James brothers and the Caradine brothers as the Younger brothers.
            You are absolutely right. It's the ONLY movie that is relatively accurate. Avoid that Rob Lowe movie titled Frank And Jessie. It's so bad I wanted to cry.

            The Northfield raid was pretty amazing. Cole Younger was shot 11 times getting out of the town, survived a two hour shoot-out with the posse that was chasing them (only giving up when the Younger bros ran out of ammo) was sent to prison for 15 years and STILL lived to be an old man!

            Talk about your tough bastards!:bowdown:
            Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

            "Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fenrir
              I've always lived in the Twin Cities area. When I was a youngster my parents would drive down to Northfield to visit friends and enjoy Jesse James Days. There was a full re-enactment of the botched robbery....i haven't seen it for for 26 or 27 years but i'm sure they still hold the event. We must have gone from '76-'79....

              One of the gang members ended up doing a life sentance in the old Stillwater Prison (20 east of St. Paul...on the St Croix River across from Somerset, WI.)...I think his name was Charles Giteau or something like that....
              I believe his name was Charlie Pitts.
              Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

              "Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X