Frank and Jesse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank and Jesse

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the ACW topic or here, but you can see what I decided. Anyway, I just finished watching a movie called Frank and Jesse, about the James boys and their gang. It was a pretty good movie that I had never heard of before. It starred Rob Lowe as Jesse James, Bill Paxton as Frank James, and Randy Travis as Cole Younger. It was good and it is one of the few recent films I've seen that make the Rebels the good guys. Its shows how the northern railroad men and the Federal soldiers during Reconstruction were very corrupt. The fight scenes seem pretty real too. I urge everyone to check it out.
    "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Yeh, it is a really good movie. Shows everything from another perspective.

Comment

Can't say I've seen that version. The recent "American Outlaws" was pretty pathetic. I still think "The Long Riders" is the best movie about the James/Younger Gang. I think it has to do with all of the sets of brothers who were cast to play brothers.

The best SONG ever written about them is "Frank and Jesse James" from Warren Zevon's self titled first album. The album may be a little hard to find and the song doesn't appear on any greatest hits releases, but its worth looking for.
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Frank and Jesse

Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
        I wasn't sure whether to put this in the ACW topic or here, but you can see what I decided. Anyway, I just finished watching a movie called Frank and Jesse, about the James boys and their gang. It was a pretty good movie that I had never heard of before. It starred Rob Lowe as Jesse James, Bill Paxton as Frank James, and Randy Travis as Cole Younger. It was good and it is one of the few recent films I've seen that make the Rebels the good guys. Its shows how the northern railroad men and the Federal soldiers during Reconstruction were very corrupt. The fight scenes seem pretty real too. I urge everyone to check it out.
        I'm sorry, but that movie was nothing but fiction. Almost everything in that film except for the well known historic events was invented by the writers. The information on their lives is very available if the writers would just take the time to research it. Also, the guy playing the Pinkerton detective was absurd. The Pinkertons didn't send just one man down to find the gang. There were roughly 40 to 60 agents down there at one time looking for them. The gang was also responsible for several of their deaths after misguided attempts by the Pinkertons to find them.

Also, if I remember correctly, they had Jessie shooting people left and right during the hold ups. When the James/Younger gang robbed anyplace, shootings were actualy quite rare. A young man in Liberty Mo. was crossing the street during a bank hold up and was killed by a stray bullet from one of the gang. When Jessie learned of this he wrote the young man's mother a letter telling her how sorry he was that her son had been killed. They still have the letter in the bank/museum in Liberty.
        Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

"Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

Comment

The James/Younger gang were sort of like the Robin Hood of their time. The locals protected them and they had a good reputation of being polite and respectable.
          Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Originally posted by JDS8072
            The James/Younger gang were sort of like the Robin Hood of their time. The locals protected them and they had a good reputation of being polite and respectable.
            Someone in my family has a wedding sign-in roster that shows that "THE" Frank James attended the wedding of my Great-great Grandmother.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by JDS8072
              Jesse James had a long list of people he murdered in cold blood. One was a medical student he killed for amusement during one of his first robberies with the gang. Running out of a bank with a ton of cash, he shot this poor kid 4 times, and was known to have laughed and bragged about killing a 19-year old man in plain sight and no one doing anything about it.

We have this habit of elevating our worst people to hero status. Jesse James was a murderer, and his gang were able to fool the people into thinking that it was all for 'Dixie,' when they were thugs of the worst sort.

It's not what you do, it's what you can make the people think you do.

Then came their last big raid (where again?) in which people who had previously portected them rose up and plastered them, forcing them to ride out of town with bulletholes in their asses.

There are people who consider Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer heroes too. The worst people in our history seem to have had some of the best press agents.
              "Yellowstain!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X