Western Q&A thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Q&A thread?

I know too little about the American West to be much of contributor here, but that's not to say I don't have an interest and lots of questions. Any objections to me starting a Q&A thread here as I did in ACW?
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

I think it would be a positive idea Cyb. You got my support!
    "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

You may fire when ready, Gridley!
      My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Well thanks guys! First off if anyone has seen the ACW Q&A I ask all sorts of questions. Some seemingly dumb, some just borderline dumb.

My problem is I can't watch a movie, documentary or read a book without walking away with more questions, and what better place to find answers than among friends.

So novice alert, there is going to a lot of stuff coming that you "old hands" might judge silly, but hey that's me!

First up, Western Law Enforcement. I have seen depictions where sheriffs and marshals are elected, appointed and in western classic movie style, simply handed a badge.

How did the man with badge become the law, and did it differ from territory to territory? Also, just how far from the truth was the, "you got the job here's a badge? scenario?
        ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
          You may fire when ready, Gridley!
          Sounds like a winner to me
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
            Well thanks guys! First off if anyone has seen the ACW Q&A I ask all sorts of questions. Some seemingly dumb, some just borderline dumb.

My problem is I can't watch a movie, documentary or read a book without walking away with more questions, and what better place to find answers than among friends.

So novice alert, there is going to a lot of stuff coming that you "old hands" might judge silly, but hey that's me!

First up, Western Law Enforcement. I have seen depictions where sheriffs and marshals are elected, appointed and in western classic movie style, simply handed a badge.

How did the man with badge become the law, and did it differ from territory to territory? Also, just how far from the truth was the, "you got the job here's a badge? scenario?
            I'm sure that local laws and ordinances were enforced in different ways, given whichever state or territory that you hailed from. The Federal Marshalls were a different story because they derrived their power from the Federal Government. The history of the Texas Rangers is an interesting story unto itself.

Comment

Hey! You started with a good one! It's probably a "dumb one" but the "border line" dumb ones are going to have to wait for someone with a clue.

There were a lot of layers to law enforcement out West. In many of the smaller towns it was an appointed position (town council) most of the local town power-brokers wanted the local Marshall directly dependent on them.

Town Marshall was not a full time job until the city grew, he usually had another source of income, would be paid a small stipend and deal mostly with mundane (cat in the tree) type stuff.

Now if a town's business prospered, things changed. Location,(rail head) or natural resources (mining) were the primary reason for growth. Population grew, temptations grew, and a town would look for the "right" kind of man to wear a badge. This guy was tough, tougher, and toughest. A remarkable number of men who wore the badge were either "reformed" bad men, or died as criminals.

The County Sheriff would be an elected position. In many cases he would be a career lawman. It was a lucrative position to a smart man. They not only made a salary, but a commission on all County Taxes they collected. Tax collection was a major part of the job. His bailiwick was the County area outside of the various Town Limits. Think of the Marshall handling the Saloon drunks and the Sheriff would chase the rustlers.

As Johnny said, there were other levels higher up. Each Territory would have a roving group of "Rangers" to help with emergencies and the Feds handling the big stuff. In a lot of cases, these two groups could be inter-changeable. They were proven hard-cases and carried a great deal of respect simply with their reputation and presence. In some areas they held both jobs, making jurisdiction a moot question.

Finally, your movie metaphor might be apt. The well known recent Wyatt Earp films were not truly accurate, but they did stay true to the law enforcement of the times. Consider:
              In Tombstone, Wyatt was a Town Deputy/Marshall, who came to town with some experience Along with his badge, he ran a saloon Faro Table, was involved in other business and had a prostitute as a girl friend. Of course his Brothers were involved in the scenario.

Wyatt's counterpart, was the County Sheriff, Johnny Behan. Behan controlled the area outside of Tombstone, his support group included the "Cowboy" element. Without getting into all of the provocation, there was a report that Wyatt's buddy John Holiday (Doc) was involved in a stagecoach holdup in the County. Whether true or not, Holiday had a dark, violent, and shady past. Wyatt also wanted to run for Began's job. The rest is history.

After the ensuing incidents, Wyatt and his band were named "Deputy Federal Marshals" by friendly magistrates. Thus he could ignore Behan or other law officers regardless where he traveled to exact his revenge.

Hope this helps start you off, I'll dig up some links tomorrow.
              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

See, just ask your friends.

Great stuff and just the start here. I have a lot of questions ranging all the way across the silly meter, but I really could use the kind of answers you guys have given so far.

Thanks!
                ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Great stuff and just the start here. I have a lot of questions ranging all the way across the silly meter, but I really could use the kind of answers you guys have given so far.

Thanks!
                  http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Law+enforcement+in+the+Old+West:+unlike+Hollywood' s+frequent...-a0144563306

Solid comments on the reality of the "common" man in the West maintaining law and order. Also a decent list of "hard case" law enforcement officers.

http://www.westernoutlaw.com/

If your interested in Western Law and Badguys, like I said, many times the line between them was pretty thin, this was can be dangerous to your free time. Pics, stories and articles. If you want a bit of the reality of Wyatt Earp, check out his (and Josephine's) very modest tombstone.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                    If you want a bit of the reality of Wyatt Earp, check out his (and Josephine's) very modest tombstone.
                    What an interesting site. What really grabbed me was how ornate are the markers for the Native Americans. Not that they were not deserving of such markers, but I would have thought they would have preferred burial more in their native tradition.

Fascinating stuff Hal. Based on what I've seen so far, this thread has great potential.

ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Thanks!
                      There's no such thing as "silly questions", only silly answers.

Comment

Interesting observation. Of course these are pics of many of the resting place for powerful leaders. Those that passed on reservations usually fine monuments for the day, and in some cases today. Many times the church groups that were involved with the particular reservation opted for a fine stone to show their respect for the Native Leader as a point to incur favor among their charges. Some were erected by various groups years after the internment by national pro-Native groups.

The burial site of Young Joseph (your pic) is one of contention as the US (and the Colville Tribe, refused to allow his body to be taken back to the Nez Pierce Res (region of the corners of WA, IA OR) after his death in 1904) .

Comment

On the subject of Native Americans. Years ago I read the story of Quannah Parker, I think I spelled his first name right. He managed to adapt well into white society. So well in fact he became very successful and owned a fine home.

Now, I an aware matters were much different for most Native Americans swamped by white society, but are there any other success such as Parker?

I have yet to come across one.
                          ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

On the subject of Native Americans. Years ago I read the story of Quannah Parker, I think I spelled his first name right. He managed to adapt well into white society. So well in fact he became very successful and owned a fine home.

Now, I an aware matters were much different for most Native Americans swamped by white society, but are there any other success such as Parker?

I have yet to come across one.
                            I think I see it from another angle........

What is success? Quanah Parker was the last chief of the Commanches borned from a chief and a captured white girl. He never lost a battle to the white man, but led his people in a march into captivity. He ends up famous and a landowner while the Commanches he once led lived in reservations.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                              I think I see it from another angle........

What is success? Quanah Parker was the last chief of the Commanches borned from a chief and a captured white girl. He never lost a battle to the white man, but led his people in a march into captivity. He ends up famous and a landowner while the Commanches he once led lived in reservations.
                              Not sure about famous, but he did manage to successfully adapt to white society. My question is, were there any others?
                              ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X