No announcement yet.

The Regulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have pictures that I have not posted herein of: Frank and George Coe, their wives Helena and Phoebe Brown Coe, Lily Casey, Sallie and her husband William Robert, and a pic of him that I think he gave to her while they were courting, their two boys, Sallie's two younger brothers, Sallie's parents and inlaws.

I have Billy's attorney. I have both of Billy's attorneys. I have a wonderful photograph of John H. Tunstall. More Regulators including: Charlie Bowdre, Yginio Salazar (probably not a regulator, but he fought along with the kid.) He was only 15. Juan Patron and his family, Barney Mason and his family, Robt Widenmann my least favorite regulator and John S. Chisum. I'm sure I've left out some. 60 tintypes all told!

If anyone out there wants to see a specific individual I'll post it. I have almost everyone. Oh, I have another picture of the kid taken when the pictures of Rudabaugh and Wilson were taken. Billy is also wearing a new suit. The photo shows Billy's watch and chain. Which were the only things of value, other than his bay mare that he ever owned.

Comment

As I consider Billy Bonney, I think he was driven almost crazy by his yearning for excitement. I don't think that made him that crazy...just young. He seemed to love a good gunfight. While he was not a brawler, he was to small to be a fist fighter, but he was a gun hand and a good one. He loved fast horses and stole one of the best ones around. He liked to play games. He enjoyed playing with children who adored him, and he, them.
      Billy was wild about girls and sexual escapades. Not unusual for a 21 year old hard charger.

Billy, while he did not seem to hesitate to rustle cattle, he had a refined sense, at least in his mind, of right and wrong. He must have known that he was breaking the law when he was running off with Chisum cattle, but he probably did not know what else he could do to survive. He was enraged by how the Dolan men murdered his boss, John Tunstall and he had a right to be so.

John Tunstall, soon before his death. Photo found within the photographer's album.

One wonders if he could have "gone straight". He said that he was forced into a life of crime. But could he have lived a workaday life? Would it have been too mundane?

Billy the Kid was like Audie Murphy. He shined when the bullets flew. He calmed down when death was at hand. He took charge when others were on the edge of panic. But like Murphy I doubt that the kid had peace in him. Murphy drank, the kid did not, but he might have if he had moved to Mexico and tried to go straight.
      He had a baby one the way. Would Billy have morphed into becoming the adoring father? He never met his father, who died in Andersonville Prison in Georgia, but he apparently adored his mother who taught him to dance and who died, of TB, when the kid was 14. I wonder if Billy was a sociopath. Extroverted, excitable, a great story teller, but devious.

His father was my great great grandfather's brother.
      Last edited by majormack; 10 Sep 13, 11:42.

Comment

Just putting this out there to see who they could be. I looked at this alot trying to match them. Left top to right. McNab, hoping next was Billy the kid but not sure, Chavez Y Chavez, Ad Saunders or a young Broderick. Left to right bottom maybe Dick Brewer, Frank Coe, George Coe. McNab guy displaying medal of some kind. Next to him large pinky ring possibly kinda like Billy's. Chavez, facial features. Saunders facial features but the hat looks almost identical to the hat Broderick is wearing in that solo pic of Broderick. Both hats have a similar decoration just above brim. Kinda has a Brewer facial feature. Frank facial features like high cheek bones and mustache. George facial features. Also if you compare that pic with the five guys that has Billy and Garrett in it. Almost same positions with four of them. Compared pics to ones online that say are some of them at a older age but have similar features. Wish I could get pics I have in focus close ups to view jewelry and facial images. Hear some tintypes are made with certain chemicals that can possibly react to bright light or heat could damage the image. Have other pics that resemble Billy or other people.

Comment

Didn't realize posting times out when taking too long. Pic I was talking about .

Comment

This pic I thought was maybe Billy and Tunstall a little bit after he started working for him.

Comment

Thought this pic has Sallie left bottom with possible Billy buddies.

Comment

Thought this could be Billy with the guy pointing in croquet pic. Stare at them long enough and they start to look like it. Lol

Comment

Thought these were Billy's buddies

Comment

This pic got me started in collecting tintypes thinking it looks like Billy second from left Tunstall 3rd and Bowdrie or George Coe far right. Thought far right hiding his hand a little because of possible injury. Look different in person. Lol

Comment

This looked like possible Billy and Joseph. Brothers getting a pic together. Wish I could get a close up on ring on right hand with guy standing.

Comment

Even thought this was a young Billy and Joseph. Or Broderick and Billy. Read online that Billy got teased by adults because of the hat he wore and got the nickname the kid when he was like 15 or 16. Kinda how he got his attitude and didn't like being made fun of.

Comment

I am really enjoying the old photos. They certainly give a different perspective to that era, compared to movies that show everybody dressed as cowpokes...
                          Some of the hairstyles however, are pretty rude and only a head a mother could love!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                            Prawn heads
                            by Karri
                            How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                            Today, 11:40
                          • Jose50
                            Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                            by Jose50
                            Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                            Today, 08:41
                          • Von Richter
                            Sagittarius Rising...
                            by Von Richter
                            Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                            Today, 01:19
                          Working...
                          X