Little Bighorn Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Bighorn Trip

I am accompanying my wife on a work-related trip to Billings. So naturally I will take advantage of a visit to LBHNM. I'm re-reading Michno's "Lakota Noon" now, an Indian view of the battle as arranged in a chronology by Michno.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

Originally posted by MontanaKid View Post
    I am accompanying my wife on a work-related trip to Billings. So naturally I will take advantage of a visit to LBHNM. I'm re-reading Michno's "Lakota Noon" now, an Indian view of the battle as arranged in a chronology by Michno.
    Have a great trip!.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Take plenty of pictures... to make your pals this side of the pond even more jealous!
      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Get there before the snow starts to fly. Enjoy and we await a good report with photo's
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          Get there before the snow starts to fly. Enjoy and we await a good report with photo's
          Here's hoping for a little snow. We badly need a fire season-ending event like a serious snowfall, at least here in the Western Montana mountains. Out in Eastern Montana, the snow flies sideways, so hopefully we'll be spared that, and I'll be able to show off to my wife at LBH. LOL
          No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

Comment

Tell us about it when you return

Comment

I went there several years ago- the best time to go is in June, it's absolutely beautiful there; verdant and criss-crossed with numerous little rivers and streams. I'll bet the trout fishing is terrific.

It's definitely worth the trip. While you are in Montana, you also might like to check out the Montana State Prison museum in Deer Lodge. It's pretty darn good for a small old prison museum.
              "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter View Post
                I went there several years ago- the best time to go is in June, it's absolutely beautiful there; verdant and criss-crossed with numerous little rivers and streams. I'll bet the trout fishing is terrific.

It's definitely worth the trip. While you are in Montana, you also might like to check out the Montana State Prison museum in Deer Lodge. It's pretty darn good for a small old prison museum.
                Good suggestions. I have lived all my life in Montana. I am in Missoula, now, but I have lived in several places in the state. In 1980, when the old Montana State Prison opened to the public, I was one of the volunteer tour guides. I have been at the battlefield several times in all seasons. This time of year is nice to avoid the crowds. June is swamped, being both the beginning of vacation season in the US and the anniversary month of the battle.

Comment

Yes. We expect MANY photos!
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                    Yes. We expect MANY photos!
                    I will post photos. But I have a very cheap digital camera, so don't expect much in the way of professional-looking photos.

Comment

I will post photos. But I have a very cheap digital camera, so don't expect much in the way of professional-looking photos.
                      Thanks ... the more the merrier.
                      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

I was there when all it was was the monument and a dirt road up to it. Not sure what year it was (memory fading, but was on my way to Great Lakes Naval Station for school) I do know that they were filming the movie "Little Big Man" in the vicinity. Unfortunately all of the pictures I took were with a 35mm camera using "slide" film. Stored the slides at my brother's place and he put them above the garage. Due to the heat, all of the pictures I took of my liberties in Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines(including Corregidor), and various trips around the US were destroyed. Anyhoo, you could walk out and look at the markers (had to look out for rattlers...reptile type). Went back in 1995 and it sure had changed. You will enjoy it with all of the additions for information. I'm getting old though, preferred it the way when I saw it and could walk around the battlefield.
                        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                          I was there when all it was was the monument and a dirt road up to it. Not sure what year it was (memory fading, but was on my way to Great Lakes Naval Station for school) I do know that they were filming the movie "Little Big Man" in the vicinity. Unfortunately all of the pictures I took were with a 35mm camera using "slide" film. Stored the slides at my brother's place and he put them above the garage. Due to the heat, all of the pictures I took of my liberties in Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines(including Corregidor), and various trips around the US were destroyed. Anyhoo, you could walk out and look at the markers (had to look out for rattlers...reptile type). Went back in 1995 and it sure had changed. You will enjoy it with all of the additions for information. I'm getting old though, preferred it the way when I saw it and could walk around the battlefield.
                          The film was released in December of 1970, so the filming would have been either summer 1970 or summer 1969. The film has no relation to actual history. An interesting sidelight though: The Little Bighorn battle scenes were filmed on private property just south of the Custer Hill portion of the park in Medicine Tail Coulee, which was not part of the monument, but was of course an important site of the early part of the battle with the Custer detachment of the 7th Cavalry. Recently, archaeological scanning and digs were conducted to look for battle relics in MTC. The volunteer diggers were puzzled by a large number of bobby pins. But they learned that the pins were left over from the filming of the movie. They were used to fasten the long hair wigs of the "Indians."

Comment

Little Bighorn trip

Sorry to say, I left behind my little camera and did not get photos. As might be expected, the visitors were just a handful while we were there Saturday afternoon. The biggest change I saw is the effort to flesh out the Indian side of the story. There are a lot more markers up for the warriors who died. I've always viewed this and other battles of the "Indian Wars" as a battle between Americans with competing ideas, not unlike our Civil War. Both North and South stories are told at the Civil War Battle sites, it should be the same at LBH. One of the best examples is the battle sites along the Nez Perce Trail. As a kid going to the Big Hole Battlefield, the only story we were told was of the soldier's siege on the hill. Now the tour begins at the site of the Indian camp. Hopefully someday the proposed land swaps and other expansion will happen to allow LBH to tell the whole story too. But I'm pleased with the progress.

Comment

Sorry to say, I left behind my little camera and did not get photos.

"Corporal!"

"Sir!"

"Take that man out and shoot 'im!"

"But Sir, he's an Occifer?"

"Shoot 'im twice then!"

The long toll of the brave
                              Is not lost in darkness
                              Over the fruitful earth
                              And athwart the seas
                              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                              Unquenchable forever.

Comment