Custer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custer!

OK. I'm being cynical here. But if any topic will draw discussion on this forum it's Custer.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

What you want to say about Iron @ss?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

He's dead. I believe the locals killed him a while back.

Comment

See, two responses already.
        No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
          He's dead. I believe the locals killed him a while back.
          Well in his case, the locals were the Crow, who fought with him. As the Crow see it, some invaders from the Dakota plains killed him.

Comment

Custer.....needed more supervision than he got from Terry?
            "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

I'm pro Custer.

He gets a bad rap IMHO...

An *******? Yes.

Incompetent fool? No.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                I'm pro Custer.

He gets a bad rap IMHO...

An *******? Yes.

Incompetent fool? No.
                I'm not pro or anti Custer, just pro-history I guess. But your succinct assessment of him is right. He could certainly be an arrogant SOB, but was no incompetent fool. He wasn't flawless either.

Comment

I've going over biographies of Custer and "My Life on the Plains" a book that is a compilation of articles he wrote for Galaxy magazine when he was in the Kansas/Oklahoma campaigns of 1867-1868. I'm also looking at the Whittaker, Monaghan and Wert biographies.

Of course Whittaker was tainted by hero worship while the others try to draw a more objective picture.

One thing I'm impressed with in "My Life" is Custer's wit. You will notice a certain tongue and cheek and self-effacing humor in his writing which seems to belie his reputation among some as arrogant. Has anyone else read these works? What's your take?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaKid View Post
                    One thing I'm impressed with in "My Life" is Custer's wit. You will notice a certain tongue and cheek and self-effacing humor in his writing which seems to belie his reputation among some as arrogant. Has anyone else read these works? What's your take?
                    Wit + arrogant = funny bastard. Lots of them about, including me!

Paul
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                      Wit + arrogant = funny bastard. Lots of them about, including me!

Paul
                      me too!!

Comment

Custer died for the "White Mens Sins" - some celebrate the date of his defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by mimike View Post
                          Custer died for the "White Mens Sins" - some celebrate the date of his defeat.
                          Okay then, fair enough.

Then was it immoral when one native tribe warred with another to advance their people, place, kin and kind?

If not, explain why not.
                          "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Being Native American myself, he got what he deserved.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                              Being Native American myself, he got what he deserved.
                              I believe that he, unlike most in politics and the military, went some way to defend the rights of native Americans.

Philip
                              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X