In 1775, on the 23rd of March Patrick Henry delivered an
    address to the Virginia Provincial Convention in which he
    declared this now famous words.

So, now as we break out our checkbooks to pay for the
    grand health insurance experiment we can pause to remember
    these words.
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

The ironic thing after reading Simon Schama's Rough Crossings that while he was uttering those words some of his slaves were escaping to British lines and freedom.

Comment

on slavery

Originally posted by History fan View Post
      The ironic thing after reading Simon Schama's Rough Crossings that while he was uttering those words some of his slaves were escaping to British lines and freedom.
      Patrick Henry on Slavery * January 18, 1773

It is not a little surprising that Christianity, whose chief excellence consists in softening the human heart, in cherishing & improving its finer Feelings, should encourage a Practice so totally repugnant to the first Impression of right & wrong. What adds to the wonder is that this Abominable Practice has been introduced in the most enlightened Ages, Times that seem to have pretensions to boast of high Improvements in the Arts, Sciences, & refined Morality, have brought into general use, & guarded by many Laws, a Species of Violence & Tyranny, which our more rude & barbarous, but more honest Ancestors detested. Is it not amazing, that at a time, when the Rights of Humanity are defined & understood with precision, in a Country above all others fond of Liberty, that in such an Age, & such a Country we find Men, professing a Religion the most humane, mild, meek, gentle & generous, adopting a Principle as repugnant to humanity as it is inconsistent with the Bible and destructive to Liberty. . . .

I cannot but wish well to a people whose System imitates the Example of him whose Life was perfect. And believe me, I shall honour the Quakers for their noble Effort to abolish Slavery. It is equally calculated to promote moral & political Good.

Would any one believe that I am Master of Slaves of my own purchase! I am drawn along by the general inconvenience of living without them. . . .

I believe a time will come when the oppo. will be offered to abolish this lamentable Evil. Every thing we can do is to improve it, if it happens in our day, if not, let us transmit to our descendants together with our Slaves, a pity for their unhappy Lot, & an abhorrence for Slavery. If we cannot reduce this wished for Reformation to practice, let us treat the unhappy victims with lenity, & it is the furthest advance we can make toward Justice.

*excerpt
      Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000© 2010
      17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Men are judged by actions not words and seeing as Patrick Henry owned over seventy slaves it's safe to describe him as a hypocrite and tyrant. Also:

What He's Remembered For
        Most people know Patrick Henry as the radical revolutionary credited for demanding "Give me liberty or give me death," thereby inspiring all of Virginia to take up arms against British tyranny.

Why You Should Hate Him
        Few people know that when he wasn't giving moving speeches, he was locking his wife in his basement. In Mindblowers, by Jim Rhine, we learn that for the last four years of her life Henry's wife was chained in her basement, possibly in a straitjacket and forbidden to see her children. It isn't unreasonable to conclude that the following conversation may have, at some point, occurred.

Alright, honey, I'm going out for some beer and stronger chains. Anything you need?
        Yes. UNCHAIN ME FROM THE MOTHER****ING BASE ...
        Besides me unchaining you from the basement. Which we've discussed, remember? Remember, hon? How we discussed that?
        Patrick, I swear to God, either give me liberty or give me death.
        Ha, ha! Well, no, of course. But ... waiiiittt ... that ... did you come up with that? Is that yours? Can I use that?
        What? What are you talking about?
        Honey, I think you just saved America.
        Awesome. Now, unchain me from the basement.
        That's just the sort of crazy talk I'd expect from a woman I chained in my basement.

http://www.cracked.com/article_14870...hate-them.html
        "They're inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"
        -Baron Munchausen

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
        -Groucho Marx

Comment

I've heard of the wife in basement story before, but it is my understanding that she was well cared for with servants and made comfortable, albeit, confined to the basement.

Comment

She also was not sane. It's believed she may have had something like postpartum psychosis, and was a danger to her self and children.
            "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
              In 1775, on the 23rd of March Patrick Henry delivered an
              address to the Virginia Provincial Convention in which he
              declared this now famous words.

So, now as we break out our checkbooks to pay for the
              grand health insurance experiment we can pause to remember
              these words.

I've always thought his famous quote was high in drama but low in practical reality.

Many of the founding fathers modeled themselves after statesmen of republican Rome. Washington was Cincinnatus. Patrick Henry was Cato the Stoic who chose death (suicide) rather than to surrender to tyranny.

http://www.libertyfund.org/details.aspx?id=1875
              http://antiquitatis.com/rome/biograp...toyounger.html

As bad as things may get with health care, most of us would prefer to stay alive and try to make the best of the situation.

Comment

Patrick Henry is like Andrew Jackson: admired as hero, personally was a villain.
                "And now German generals find it hard to explain away their retreat."

-Georgi Zhukov

Proud Trotskyist, Theist, Anti-American, and Pro-Insurgent (not pro-terrorist).

Comment

Originally posted by HiredGoon View Post
                  She also was not sane. It's believed she may have had something like postpartum psychosis, and was a danger to her self and children.
                  Originally posted by TJAdams View Post
                  I've heard of the wife in basement story before, but it is my understanding that she was well cared for with servants and made comfortable, albeit, confined to the basement.
                  Hey, letís not go ruining a good character assassination with facts.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Patrick Henry is like Andrew Jackson: admired as hero, personally was a villain.
                    Agreed.
                    "They're inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"
                    -Baron Munchausen

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
                    -Groucho Marx

Comment

Yeah, like no Brits owned slaves or chained their wives up in the basement. You think he came up with it on his own? Slavery was a European practice in the Americas before it was American. Let's not get too high on the horse.
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      ó Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                        Yeah, like no Brits owned slaves or chained their wives up in the basement. You think he came up with it on his own? Slavery was a European practice in the Americas before it was American. Let's not get too high on the horse.

Brits didnt chain their wives in the basement.

Thats what the attics for.
                        "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

In Williamsburg they have a mental institution from the 18th century. Its a pretty scary place and tends to make one understand why great lengths might be taken to keep a mentally ill family member at home. At home in the basement doesn't seem nearly as terrible when compared to the conditions at the mental institution.

Comment

Originally posted by The Highwayman View Post
                            Men are judged by actions not words and seeing as Patrick Henry owned over seventy slaves it's safe to describe him as a hypocrite and tyrant.
                            So what does that make dishonest Abe. Read his remarks of 1858 in the Lincoln/Douglas debates. If he really believed what he said, and apparently he did, as he said them, He could not begin to support the Bill of Rights.

debate at Charleston, Illinois, might surprise many readers.

LINCOLN: "I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races--that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

What happened to all men are created Equal Mr. President?

I guess that means that his hypocracy was adjusted by manipulation to produce actions that would hide the hypocracy of what he really believed and really wanted in place in America.

Amazing how History, in it's totaliltiy goes missing to push a political view point and agenda. History is History with the good and the awful. Manipulation of history continues to subdue the minds of men to produce actions desired by the power hungry.
                            Last edited by JBozeman; 18 Aug 10, 00:26.
                            Boze

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan, "The time for Choosing" October 1964

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X