Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

The American Revolution: End of slavery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,
    thanks for your replies.
    So i think I got my issue:

American Revolution and Slavery- "All men are created equal"

Different developements in North and South America during the Revolutionary Era

What do you think? Is this question discussable?

You got any good source or know some statistics like comparing the percentage of slaves in the north and south?

Thanks
    so
    much

Comment

Ups, I forgot,
      is there any opponent for Thomas Jefferson?
      I thought, i would do North vs South and one famous person from the north against one from the south. Jefferson would be South right?
      Can you think of any?

Thanks

Comment

Jefferson was so conflicted on the issue he could probably be used for both sides.

Kidding aside, opponents of slavery from the north might be John Adams, John Jay, or Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton is always a good choice to oppose Jefferson on issues.

Comment

Ashbel Green is an example of one of the many politically active clergymen during the war who were vigorously opposed to slavery.

"It is demonstrable that ... slave holders are friends to slavery, ergo enemies to liberty, ergo are enemies to our present struggle for liberty, ergo are enemies to these United States."
          -Letter on Slavery, The New Jersey Journal, 10 January, 1781.
          "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Great, i took Alexander Hamilton aswell as some of the other you guys named

I read somewhere, that the South wanted, that their slaves count to their population so they would have more delegates and the North didnt want it.
            Is that true? I think that would be cool to discuss too in my essay
            You got any good internet source or anything?

Thanks

Comment

You are talking about the Constitutional convention in the summer of 1787. Yes, its true. The dispute led to the 3/5 compromise which remains immortalized permanently in the Constitution. Much to our dismay.

Comment

Originally posted by History fan View Post
                At the end of the war Washington was demanding that Guy Carleton return escaped slaves in New York back to him. Thankfully Carleton sent him packing. I always took the all men are created equal to also mean some are more equal than others.
                Yet Washington manumitted his slaves upon his death.
                "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                George Mason
                Co-author of the Second Amendment
                during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Since the salve trade per se was not yet forbidden by the British I am skeptical as to its importance in the Revolutionary fervor by the colonists.
                  "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                  George Mason
                  Co-author of the Second Amendment
                  during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Wasn't one of the reasons for the rebellion in the first place the fear that the British would free the slaves? Afterall slavery had just been made illegal in Britain itself when the revolution started. Also during the revolt Britain announced that it would free all slaves who fought for Britain.

The American Revolution put back the end of slavery in North America by at least 30 years, probably double that.
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

The American Revolution did not free the slaves. The American Civil War did not free the slaves either. In order for a slave to free himself of his master, the slave has to initiate, lead, and engage in the rebellion. Such was not the case in the American Civil War. The American Civil War was a war of two competing economic systems operating in the same country. One should recall that abolitionists were also hated in the North. What has happened over time is simply a rewriting of history that has painted the North as this enlightened region that went to war against a barbarian South. It's not like Northerners were inviting Blacks over to their homes for dinner and such.

After the American Civil War, Black Americans were kept in a peonage state throughout the North and South until the rebellious 1960's. Don't think it was the peace marches of MLK that gave American Blacks their rights either. It was war. War in the streets via riots which scared the beejeezus out of White Americans. There was your rebellion of slave against master, finally. I recommend that all read The Rebel by Albert Camus as a treatise on rebellion.

Saludos,

Alatriste

Comment

One thing not touched on is there were large areas of the country that needed development. Most areas were settled by poor farmers and they supplied their own labor. Certain areas of the South were developed by slave labor. The landed gentry were trying to perpetuate their class. Use of slave labor to develop plantation systems kept them in charge. Land companies also developed some of the Midwest.

Once in place rich landowners did what they could to stay in power. In the South, they told poor farmers that they were better than Blacks. This kept them on the side of the rich. To keep the Blacks down, the rulers made sure Free Blacks did not develop in many states. In many states Blacks that were freed had to leave the state.

The ruling cliques in the South were also worried about the labor supply and society. They did not want the Black population to gain political rights. Who would plow the field and harvest if slaves were freed? How would the cost of labor be determined. In areas of the US with a free Black population they competed with recent emigrants for low paying jobs. That was why the Irish hated them.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The first abolitionist society in the colonies was formed in Philadelphia in 1775.

http://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/franklin/

In his (Benjamin Franklin) later years he became vocal as an abolitionist and in 1787 began to serve as President of the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery. The Society was originally formed April 14, 1775, in Philadelphia, as The Society for the Relief of Free Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage; it was reorganized in 1784 and again in 1787, and then incorporated by the state of Pennsylvania in 1789. The Society not only advocated the abolition of slavery, but made efforts to integrate freed slaves into American society.
                          You will observe that the title of the organization when it was founded refers to Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage

This was prior to Lexington and Concord by 5 days. So this was an issue at the time of the Revolution. How much of an issue, I don't know. I do know that General Lafayette became a member of the Abolitionist Society in Philadelphia before he went back to France and that he proposed to Washington that slavery should be abolished here. Perhaps that is why Washington's slaves were manumitted in his will. It is well known that he thought very highly of Lafayette.
                          Homo homini lupus

Comment

Thomas Paine, author of the pamphlet, Common Sense, a primary propaganda document of the American Revolution was one of the founders of The Society for the Relief of Free Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage in 1775 along with a famous educator of blacks in Philadelphia and a prolific anti-slavery author, Anthony Benezet. In its beginnings at the Rising Sun Tavern the group had ten members.

Paine's 1775 essay, African Slavery In America, was published in the Pennsylvania Journal. This essay can be found at http://www.thomaspaine.org/Archives/afri.html

I would like to know who were some of the other founders of the group. I just found this amazing information about Thomas Paine when I was running a search on the name of the group.
                            Last edited by Jannie; 02 Mar 10, 14:25.
                            Homo homini lupus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X