• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're welcome, Porty.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Janos View Post
      There are a lot of good books on the American Revolution, too. One of them is The Day the American Revolution Began: 19 April 1775, which does a play-by-play of the whole day (starting the night before) and then lists the days that the word of the Battles of Lexington and Concord reached the major cities of the colonies.

Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

What are your favorite books on the War of the American Revolution?

JS
      If there are a lot of good book on the American Revolution then how is it that most people - including most of these historians - don't know who was the first peson to suggest that we declare our Independence from England which resulted, I might add, in one of the greatest works of Literature in the History of the World called the Declaration of Independence.

If you can't answer that question then its time to go back to school...

Comment

• Originally posted by Theoferrum View Post
        If there are a lot of good book on the American Revolution then how is it that most people - including most of these historians - don't know who was the first person to suggest that we declare our Independence from England which resulted, I might add, in one of the greatest works of Literature in the History of the World called the Declaration of Independence.

If you can't answer that question then its time to go back to school...
        The answer to that question is General Charles Lee in a letter to Patrick Henry...

Comment

• While I agree that Gen. Charles Lee was among the first I'd hesitate to categorically state that he, or anyone, "was the first person to suggest that we declare our Independence."
          Hugh T. Harrington
          author of:
          The Boy Soldier: Edwin Jemison and the Story Behind the Most Remarkable Portrait of the Civil War
          Civil War Milledgeville
          Remembering Milledgeville
          www.hughharrington.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh View Post
            While I agree that Gen. Charles Lee was among the first I'd hesitate to categorically state that he, or anyone, "was the first person to suggest that we declare our Independence."
            I wouldn't - they started his court martial on July 4th for that reason...

Comment

• Just finished Washington's Revolution: The Making of America's First Leader by Robert Middlekauff

I've had it 14 weeks and just finished it up right before I have to take it back to the library. But I kept at it because it presented the Revolution from Washington's perspective of leading the army, providing for the army, dealing with the Congress (which must have been extraordinarily difficult), dealing with the French Army and Navy, and at the very end heading off a rebellion of his officers over late pay and the issue of pensions, which if it had come to fruition would have lost the Revolution.
              Homo homini lupus

Comment

• I just picked up Journal of the Hesse-Cassel Jager Corps and Order Book of the Hesse-Cassel von Mirbach Regiment, both translated by Bruce Burgoyne. They are excellent references and both are primary sources.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• This one hit my radar recently, and will be seeing if available from local county library system.
                  Anyone read this and have a view~opinion to share ??? ...

The American Revolution: A World War

by David Allison, Larrie D. Ferreiro, John Gray

Price: $29.95

An illustrated collection of essays that explores the international dimensions of the American Revolution and its legacies in both America and around the world

The American Revolution: A World War argues for the importance of understanding the American Revolution in a global context. The illustrated companion volume to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History exhibition of the same name, this book posits that it is not possible to fully understand the Revolution if it is seen as a solely American conflict. Instead, American motivations and contributions must be considered alongside those of the British, French, Spanish, and Dutch. Highlighting the often overlooked international nature of the Revolution while grounding it in its origins--the fight for independence from Great Britain--this collection of essays from leading writers on the Revolution touches on such topics as European diplomacy, overseas empires, economic rivalries, supremacy of the seas, and more. Together the book's incisive text, full-color images, and topical sidebars underscore that America's fight for independence is most clearly comprehended as one of the first global struggles for power.

ISBN 10: 1588346331

ISBN 13: 9781588346339
                  https://www.smithsonianbooks.com/sto...ion-world-war/
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X