This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books: Best Books on The American Revolution

There are a lot of good books on the American Revolution, too. One of them is The Day the American Revolution Began: 19 April 1775, which does a play-by-play of the whole day (starting the night before) and then lists the days that the word of the Battles of Lexington and Concord reached the major cities of the colonies.

Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

What are your favorite books on the War of the American Revolution?

JS
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

Re: BEST BOOKS - American Revolution

Originally posted by Janos
    There are a lot of good books on the American Revolution, too. One of them is The Day the American Revolution Began: 19 April 1775, which does a play-by-play of the whole day (starting the night before) and then lists the days that the word of the Battles of Lexington and Concord reached the major cities of the colonies.

Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

What are your favorite books on the War of the American Revolution?

JS
    Although I've read the ACW books by John and Jeff Shaara, I have yet to read the series that takes place during the revolution.

has anyone read them? I assume they are of the qulity of his/thier other books.
    Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Re: Re: BEST BOOKS - American Revolution

Originally posted by Fenrir
      Although I've read the ACW books by John and Jeff Shaara, I have yet to read the series that takes place during the revolution.

has anyone read them? I assume they are of the qulity of his/thier other books.
      I didn't know that the Shaara's had any books set in the Revolutionary period.
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: BEST BOOKS - American Revolution

Originally posted by Lance Williams
        I didn't know that the Shaara's had any books set in the Revolutionary period.
        They are called "Rise to Rebellion" and "The Glorious Cause".

Also, there is "Gone for Soldiers" and it take place during the Mexican-American War....and it kicks butt!
        Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

David Hackett Fischer is an excellent historian who has written two excellent books on the American Revolution. Paul Revere's Ride is about the events leading up to April 19, 1775 and the battle of Lexington and Concord. His newest book is Washington's Crossing and is about the forging of the American Army, and the battles of Trenton and Princeton.

One can not truly understand the Revolution without a firm grasp of the Seven Years' War in North America. The best book on that subject is Crucible of War by Fred Anderson.
          "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Originally posted by HiredGoon
            David Hackett Fischer is an excellent historian who has written two excellent books on the American Revolution. Paul Revere's Ride is about the events leading up to April 19, 1775 and the battle of Lexington and Concord. His newest book is Washington's Crossing and is about the forging of the American Army, and the battles of Trenton and Princeton.

One can not truly understand the Revolution without a firm grasp of the Seven Years' War in North America. The best book on that subject is Crucible of War by Fred Anderson.
            I just bought Washington's Crossing based on the CSPAN2 talk I saw.
            I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

I would recommend Private Yankee Doodle by Joseph Plumb Martin. Only first person account I know of by a line soldier in the revolution. Gives a good sense of the experience of being on the line in the revolution.
              Boston Strong!

Comment

Revolutionary War Reading List? Help!

Hello,

I don't know if I've come to the right place.

I would like anybody here who's very knowledgable on the subject of Revolutionary War (1776 to 1783) to provide a list of suggested books to read on.

I prefer to focus on the military campaigns and how the warfare was practiced during that time. For example, I've found a good book on the battle of Cowpens, an important, but often overlooked battle in the South (I think in North Carolina) that describes how both American and British Regulars fought. I liked that book, I think it was written by Bobbits (no pun intended )or something like that.

I've noticed that the books on Revolutionary War are very to come by except for biographies of certain famous people like George Washington or Benjamin Franklin.

I would also like to find some good books from the British perspective. I would like to know how the British Empire felt about losing her most precious colonial possessions to a band of ragtag American Regulars and Militamen led by a general with a mixed track record...

Thanks in advance.

Dan
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Ragtag you say? Rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm
                    Ragtag you say? Rubbish.
                    And I said from the British perspective...I don't think some British troops had a huge amount of respect for the American Regulars and Militiamen despite the training they received...

Now, do you have some good books to recommend or not?

Dan
                    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

There are the Richard Ketcham books which focused on Bunker Hill ("Decisive Day"), "Saratoga", and the Winter of 1776 ("Winter Soldiers", I believe is the title). There is the recent "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer. There was a book with co-authors (whose names I forgot), "Rebels and Redcoats". There was another recent book about women who participated in the fighting. There was another book by Joseph Plumb Martin who was a Continental Soldier and lived into his nineties. There are several books by Osprey. They have Campaign Series books about Boston 1775 (which includes Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, and the siege of Boston), Saratoga 1777, Guilford Courthouse 1781, Quebec 1775, and most recently Monmouth Courthouse 1778. This series is marked by excellent maps, cartoonish drawings and text of varying quality (different authors, throughout the series). Usually, they are good thumbnail sketches of a battle or campaign.
                      I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

rev war books

I can recommend these Washington's War by Robert Leckie
                        covers the entire war.
                        Two books by richard Ketchum Decisive Day (Bunker Hill), and
                        The Winter Soldiers ( The Battles for Trenton and Princeton)

The War for America 1775-1783 by Piers Mackesy.

Voices of 1776 by Richard Wheeler covers the whole war made up of letters and memoirs from statesmen to enlisted men both
                        rebels and redcoats.

The Fire of Liberty edited by Esmond Wright another comilation of memoirs and letters.

The excellent Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by
                        W. J. Wood covers ten major engagements each one is an individual chapter.

If you have a naval interest The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman, and Rebels Under Sail by William M. Fowler.

These should keep you busy for a while.

Comment

I'm reading The Glorious Cause now. great book

Comment

Two great books that I found are:

The Winter Soldiers - by Richard M. Ketchum (The battles for Trenton & Princeton)

A History of the American Revolution - by John R. Alden

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss
                              I would recommend Private Yankee Doodle by Joseph Plumb Martin. Only first person account I know of by a line soldier in the revolution. Gives a good sense of the experience of being on the line in the revolution.
                              I have never seen the book you mention, but I've heard him frequently quoted on shows I've seen about the period. Wasn't he in service for the entire war?
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X