Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Journal of the American Revolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job Hugh!..It looks like a great site with a lot of info I didn't know anything about (Unleashing the dogs of War) the story of dogs in the American Revolution.
    I have read about Christopher Columbus using Spanish Mastiff though as attack dogs...I think they go back to Roman times or before not sure but dogs have been around for quite a while for sure!

Comment

There's a new one about dogs in the works. Probably will appear next week. Keep checking back in. Thanks for the good words, it's appreciated.
      Hugh T. Harrington
      author of:
      The Boy Soldier: Edwin Jemison and the Story Behind the Most Remarkable Portrait of the Civil War
      Civil War Milledgeville
      Remembering Milledgeville
      www.hughharrington.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh View Post
        There's a new one about dogs in the works. Probably will appear next week. Keep checking back in. Thanks for the good words, it's appreciated.
        Thanks Hugh...The Native North Americans used dogs for transportation the Ojibway to pull a Toboggan in our neck of the woods and up north the Eskimo to pull a sled in the barrenlands...
        Your'e doing a great job the site looks good always interested in American History!
        Cheers,Pat

Comment

Thanks, Pat. I really appreciate it. Love your avatar, too.
          Hugh T. Harrington
          author of:
          The Boy Soldier: Edwin Jemison and the Story Behind the Most Remarkable Portrait of the Civil War
          Civil War Milledgeville
          www.hughharrington.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mwschel View Post
            Like Hugh, I'm really excited about the Journal of the American Revolution, and proud to be a contributer. Thanks to Hugh, who was in from the beginning and writes great pieces for it.

Let me add that I really am open to taking any questions as "Mr. History!"

And the Journal editors are always open to articles from readers, so if you have an idea for an article, send it in! There's a ton of knowledge and talent on this Forum that would make valuable contributions to the Journal.

Thanks to all who have read the Journal so far!

Mike
            I feel very honored that "Mr. History" will be responding to my interest in Peter Francisco. I'm told that it will appear in the Journal sometime next month. I would like to again thank those who contribute to the Journal while also finding time to participate and enlighten us in our humble forum, we are very lucky to count you among our ranks.

Lance
            (aka kentucky1777)
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Thanks for telling about this site. I'm an American Revolutionary "junkie" and can never get enough knowledge about that period and war. I have added the site to my daily reads and have forwarded the link to several friends who are impressed with the site as well.

So thanks again to Elijah for the mention and Hugh for the site, work, and dedication.

Benjamin Tallmadge
              Culper Spy Ring
              Leader-Spy Master
              (We still exist to this day)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32
              Culper Spy Ring (We still exist)

He that spies kills ~ Irish Proverb

There are more leaks here than in the menís room at Anheuser-Busch. ~ Barry Goldwater

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32

Comment

Thanks for joining us, Ben.
                Enjoy the ride!
                Hugh T. Harrington
                author of:
                Civil War Milledgeville
                www.hughharrington.com

Comment

Good morning forum members. Jim Piecuch and I did a written debate on Tarleton at the Cowpens for the Journal of the American Revolution this morning. I would like to invite you all to read it. Ban Tarleton has been the subject of threads here on the forum and is quite the interesting subject for debate.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/...tarleton-lose/

Comment

Let me add that this written debate is excellent. Well done, Elijah!
                    Hugh T. Harrington
                    author of:
                    Civil War Milledgeville
                    www.hughharrington.com

Comment

Enjoyable and interesting debate, In terms of the actual tactical battle I am slightly more inclined to Jim rather than Wayne on certain parts, if not all.

Tarleton may well have been using Camden to replicate those same succesful tactics at Cowpens. Greene would also try them same with Cowpens at Guilford Courthouse. But certains Morgan on the day was the better general of the two men.

Wayne does use Mckenzie as a source,and was himself rebutted by Hanger, Tarletons second in command with his memoirs. So using the views of people either with agendas o

My own view echo's George Picketts when hearing about why the South lost Gettysburg, "I think the Yankees had something to do with it"

Just curious as what the views are of the 2 authors views of Tarletons own view of the battle that he should have used more close order tactics and the lack of which was a major mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                        I feel very honored that "Mr. History" will be responding to my interest in Peter Francisco. I'm told that it will appear in the Journal sometime next month. I would like to again thank those who contribute to the Journal while also finding time to participate and enlighten us in our humble forum, we are very lucky to count you among our ranks.

Lance
                        (aka kentucky1777)
                        Mike Schellhammer (aka Mr. History) has just written the most in depth article about Francisco that I've seen, highly recommended.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/.../#comment-5725
                        Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by History fan View Post
                          Enjoyable and interesting debate, In terms of the actual tactical battle I am slightly more inclined to Jim rather than Wayne on certain parts, if not all.

Tarleton may well have been using Camden to replicate those same succesful tactics at Cowpens. Greene would also try them same with Cowpens at Guilford Courthouse. But certains Morgan on the day was the better general of the two men.

Wayne does use Mckenzie as a source,and was himself rebutted by Hanger, Tarletons second in command with his memoirs. So using the views of people either with agendas o

My own view echo's George Picketts when hearing about why the South lost Gettysburg, "I think the Yankees had something to do with it"

Just curious as what the views are of the 2 authors views of Tarletons own view of the battle that he should have used more close order tactics and the lack of which was a major mistake?
                          Thanks for all the input History Fan! its nice to see some knowledgeable opinions come out. Yes, Hangar had been Tarleton's second in command but it is my understanding that he fell ill in the Fall of 1780 and was not present at Cowpens or later. At Charlotte in September, Tarleton was ill and Hangar led the Legion. Actually, failed to lead them might be a better description. He tried to get the cavalry to charge Davies and the Charlotte militia but the Legion refused. Quite possibly because many of them had only recently been recruited from the ranks of Continental soldiers (and some SC militia) who surrendered at Camden. Lawrence Babits who wrote 'Devil of a Whipping' did a chapter on Jim Piecuch's latest book on 'Cavalry in the American Revolution'. He found a number of men who previously served in the SC militia before Camden. Possibly had been captured at Fishing Creek during Sumter's disaster at Tarleton's hands.

Anyway, Hangar's work didn't make mention in the debate simply because of space restraints. I don't remember his arguments adding much to Tarleton's explanations but maybe I should review it again? what do you see there?

Comment

I have just discovered this site and have been greatly enjoying reading through it. Fantastic work!

Comment

I may just now be seeing this thread, but thanks for the link.

Comment

Hugh has an interesting article in the journal about musket (in)accuracy.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/...cy-of-muskets/
                                Lance W.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X