French explorations and settlements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French explorations and settlements

About 1500 Norman and Breton fishermen visited. Newfoundland coasts. There are unfirmed reports of attempts to explore the Golf of St. Lawrence and on unsuccessful colony on Sable Island. 1524 Giovanni de Verrazzo, sent out by the French king Francis I, probably explored the coast from Cape Fear to Newfoundland. Then voyages of Jaques Cartier in 1534. On the first voyage he sighted the Labrador coast, passed through the Straits of Belle Iske and explored the Gulf of St . Lawrence. On the second in 1535 he sailed up the St. Lawrence, stopped at the site of Quebec, proceeded to the La Chine Rapids and to the side of Montreal. On the third voyage in 1541 he was accompined by M.Roberval, a Picard noble man, whom Francis I had made viceroy of Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador. Unsuccessful attampts were made to establish a settkement at Quebec and therewith the French efforts to colonize the St. Lawrence Valley came to an end until the 17th century. In the south the activities of the French necessarily led to conflict with the Spaniards. In 1562 Admiral Coligny, as part of his plan to attack Spain, sent Jean Ribaut to establish a colony in Florida. A colony on Port Royal Sound failed, but in 1564 Ribaut and Rene' de Laudoniere established Fort Caroline on St. John's River. In the very next year the Spaniards, led by Menendez de Aviles, massacred the French colonists and took the fort. Commanded by the Chevalier de Gouges, the French avenged themselves in 1567 by attacking the Spanish fort on the St. John's and putting the garrison to death. 1598 Marquis de la Roche attampted to found a colony on Sable Island. The survivors were rescued five years later. In 1600 Pontgrave, Chauvin and De Monts, with a grant of the fur-trade monopoly, made another unsuccessful attaept to colonize, this time at Tadoussac on the lower St. Lawrence. In 1603 Pontgrave, accompined by Samuel de Champlain, explored the St. Lawrence as far as La Chine Rapids. Champlain also explored the acadian coast. In the next three years De Monts and Champlain organized a settlement on St. Croix Island, but moved later to Port Royal. Champlain followed the New England coast as far as Cape Cod and returned to France in !607. In 1608 Champlain, acting as lieutenant for De Monts, founded the settlement of Quebec. In the following year, accompined by a party of Algonquin and Huron Indians, he ascended the Richeieu River to the lake which now bears his name. In 1610 Poutrincourt reestablished Port Royal. In 1613 Champlain explored the Ottawa River to about 100 miles above the present city of Ottawa. In 1615 he went up the river to Lake Nipissing and thence to Georgian Bay, being the first white man to blaze the fur trader's route into the interior. In 1615 four Recollet friars arrived at Quebec, marking the beginning of French missionary activity. In 1625 five Jesuits arrived, beginning the work of that order.

Cas,

For a Viennese playboy, you seem to grasp early Canadian history very well.

Why the interest, if I may ask?

Comment

I believe it was 1609 (maybe a year or two off) that the VA colony successfully raided the french settlements on the canadian coast. Not sure why Argall did this but I understand it set their settlements back quite a bit. Welcome further info on that item?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X