X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Costs of Empire: Native Americans and the Origins of the Stamp Act

Hi

Hope this is of some interest:-

This month, 250 years ago, the British Parliament in London met to consider the vehement colonial response to the hated Stamp Act. The tax had been introduced in 1764 to raise revenue from the colonies in North America. But as most Americans know, colonial protests forced Parliament to back down, and in doing so, set off the fuse that would eventually ignite the American Revolution. Yet few Americans know why this legislation was passed in the first place.
    http://imperialglobalexeter.com/2016...the-stamp-act/

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Thanks for sharing. I always find it very interesting to read different perspectives on how, why, and when the ball started rolling toward the revolution.

If asked, I tend to place most of the blame on the Proclamation of 1763. It drove a wedge between GB and the colonies that was not to be repaired.

But, if questioned further, I'm rather fascinated by the starting role George Washington played as a young man, way, way back before the Revolution. As a young officer at Fort Necessity, if he had not signed that paper "confessing" to be an assassin, causing an "international" incident - perhaps the Seven Years War (French-Indian War) could have been avoided or postponed, eliminating or delaying the snowball effect of future events. But, it happened the way it did, and I find it intriguing to contemplate Washington's full circle role in it.

Comment

Those were not Native Americans.

Typical colonial power arrogance and racism coupled with in-bred ignorance of the aristocratic class.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Just the history of not wanting to pay for government services after the fact. Extreme liberals and the far right have this sort of anarchy in common.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
          Prawn heads
          by Karri
          How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
          Today, 11:40
        • Jose50
          Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
          by Jose50
          Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
          Today, 08:41
        • Von Richter
          Sagittarius Rising...
          by Von Richter
          Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
          Today, 01:19
        Working...
        X