US Marine Corps Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marine Corps Birthday

Today is the 244th anniversary of the founding of the US Marine Corps. It is the only military organization that I know of that was founded in a bar.

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday.

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Good morning Massena. Thank you for your post. I was in the Marine Corps for its 200th birthday. The bar comment triggered a memory I haven't thought of in decades.The Corps puts on quite a celebration for its birthday. Special chow in the mess hall, ice sculptures etc. I was on the base football team and we never lost. We had practice that day in preparation for the 11th Naval District All-star game at Mare island. It was called the Turkey Bowl for Thanksgiving. We had a few hours to kill so I went back to the barracks to rest. Some of my friends had beer and offered me some. You know how it goes. At first I said no, and then I said yes and one beer led to six, and off you go. As far as practice, I figured if I laid low, no one notice. I had to be cool because some of the players were officers, as well as the coaching staff and chaplain. When paractice began, there were hits harder than I had ever seen before. There were more fumbles then usual, and the guy over me was knocking me back three yards each play. The head coach Major Screiber was getting pissed beacause I was having trouble executing a snap to the quarterback who was sober. The quarterback who was sober was in a dog pile and said it smelled like a brewery. I can't believe its been 44 years. I'm old.
    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Great story. And you're not the only one that's 'old.' Well done.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        Great story. And you're not the only one that's 'old.' Well done.
        Hello Massena. Nice to see you.
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X