Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Presidents did America have before Washington?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many Presidents did America have before Washington?

    This is going around in various places on the net.

    Some say we had 16 or so Presidents (of Congress) before George, however, they would be wrong for President of Congress was a Legislative Position, not Executive.

    There was only one person who ever ruled Congress in the Executive sense and that was John Hancock who, when he was turned down for the position of Commander and Chief, turned his position as President of Congress into a "separate executive position" (Fereling, Almost a Miracle) and thus was the country's first President and, as such, oversaw the signing of the Declaration as well as the commissioning of Washington himself.

    This is the subject of the Vision of the Eagle from the Sea Vision of II Esdras which led me to this little discussion and provided the proper answer as the Angel Uriel knows our Republic better than most of us.

  • #2
    You are trying to count the number of angels that can stand on the head of a pin. First you ask a question and then you try to disqualify most of the answers. What grade are you in?

    Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      You are trying to count the number of angels that can stand on the head of a pin. First you ask a question and then you try to disqualify most of the answers. What grade are you in?

      Pruitt
      No, I am not trying to count the number of angels and, if you are a general of the forum you should be familiar with this discussion as it is a serious question of late on several forums and even in several books that have been published and then I showed the proper answer.

      Further, as a 'general of the forum' your first words to someone who just showed up on this forum should not be an insult..
      Post edited - ACG staff
      Last edited by Skoblin; 13 Mar 16, 15:24.

      Comment


      • #4
        He's right,

        History doesn't care about the Presidents of Congress, in the same way that we know who held the post of Secretary of State for Scotland before the Scottish Parliament was reconvened, but consider them irrelevant, and - hopefully - the First Ministers of Scotland will become a footnote in the history of whatever title an independent Scotland's elected leader will have.

        Washington was the first President who actually mattered, and while people can argue all they want about Presidents of Congress (it's a free country), and ANYONE can start a thread on ANYTHING, anyone who actually bothers probably has deeper problems.

        Remember, your first ever post insulted 5 million people by suggesting that the USA won its independence from England - wasps shouldn't cry if they get stung.
        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          You are trying to count the number of angels that can stand on the head of a pin. First you ask a question and then you try to disqualify most of the answers. What grade are you in?

          Pruitt
          Talk about stomping on your own Johnson while wearing golf spikes....
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Theoferrum View Post
            No, I am not trying to count the number of angels and, if you are a general of the forum you should be familiar with this discussion as it is a serious question of late on several forums and even in several books that have been published and then I showed the proper answer.

            Further, as a 'general of the forum' your first words to someone who just showed up on this forum should not be an insult..
            Nice rejoinder!

            Welcome to the forum.
            Last edited by Skoblin; 13 Mar 16, 15:23.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Theoferrum View Post
              No, I am not trying to count the number of angels and, if you are a general of the forum you should be familiar with this discussion as it is a serious question of late on several forums and even in several books that have been published and then I showed the proper answer.

              Further, as a 'general of the forum' your first words to someone who just showed up on this forum should not be an insult ..
              My guess is now Middle School? So you did not come up with the idea on your own? You got it from another forum? As you go along you will find that if you ask a question and then provide an answer, you will not get much response. Good luck with your classy response. Keep doing it and you won't be here long.

              Pruitt
              Last edited by Skoblin; 13 Mar 16, 15:23.
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

              Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

              by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

              Comment


              • #8
                Gentlemen, please get back to the topic at hand as opposed to questioning what level of schooling you each have. If you are not interested in the topic of this thread - go to another thread.

                ACG staff


                Comment


                • #9
                  Actually Eight!

                  In fact, the first President of the United States was one John Hanson.

                  I can hear you now — John who?

                  John Hanson, the first President of the United States.

                  Don't go checking the encyclopedia for this guy's name — he is one of those great men that are lost to history. If you're extremely lucky, you may actually find a brief mention of his name. (It's in the Encyclopedia Britannica.)

                  The new country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation.
                  This document was actually proposed on June 11, 1776, but not agreed upon by Congress until November 15,1777.

                  Maryland refused to sign this document until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands (Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land).

                  Once the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the country.

                  John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress (which included George Washington). In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

                  As the first President, Hanson had quite the shoes to fill. No one had ever been President and the role was poorly defined. His actions in office would set precedent for all future Presidents.

                  He took office just as the Revolutionary War ended. Almost immediately, the troops demanded to be paid. As would be expected after any long war, there were no funds to meet the salaries. As a result, the soldiers threatened to overthrow the new government and put Washington on the throne as a monarch.

                  All the members of Congress ran for their lives, leaving Hanson as the only guy left running the government. He somehow managed to calm the troops down and hold the country together. If he had failed, the government would have fallen almost immediately and everyone would have been bowing to King Washington.

                  Hanson, as President, ordered all foreign troops off American soil, as well as the removal of all foreign flags. This was quite the feat, considering the fact that so many European countries had a stake in the United States since the days following Columbus.

                  Hanson established the Great Seal of the United States, which all Presidents have since been required to use on all official documents. President Hanson also established the first Treasury Department, the first Secretary of War, and the first Foreign Affairs Department. Lastly, he declared that the fourth Thursday of every November was to be Thanksgiving Day, which is still true today.

                  The Articles of Confederation only allowed a President to serve a one year term during any three year period, so Hanson actually accomplished quite a bit in such little time.

                  Seven other presidents were elected after him — Elias Boudinot (1782-83), Thomas Mifflin (1783-84), Richard Henry Lee (1784-85), John Hancock (1785-86), Nathan Gorman (1786-87), Arthur St. Clair (1787-88), and Cyrus Griffin (1788-89) — all prior to Washington taking office
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Excellent post Trung Si! This is how one should answer this question!

                    Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by the ace View Post
                      He's right,

                      History doesn't care about the Presidents of Congress, in the same way that we know who held the post of Secretary of State for Scotland before the Scottish Parliament was reconvened, but consider them irrelevant, and - hopefully - the First Ministers of Scotland will become a footnote in the history of whatever title an independent Scotland's elected leader will have.

                      Washington was the first President who actually mattered, and while people can argue all they want about Presidents of Congress (it's a free country), and ANYONE can start a thread on ANYTHING, anyone who actually bothers probably has deeper problems.

                      Remember, your first ever post insulted 5 million people by suggesting that the USA won its independence from England - wasps shouldn't cry if they get stung.
                      As someone posted on that thread, it was England at the time we got our Independence so, you are the only one who was offended and, I was not 'crying' - apparently that's what you are doing - I was treating the poster the same way he treated me. Further, for both your info, there is already a thread on this topic but I didn't see the genius above berating him for 'counting angels' or asking him what grade he was in. And, finally, ANYONE can yell to try and make their point more valid but in the end its pretty well shows they have "deep problems".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                        Gentlemen, please get back to the topic at hand as opposed to questioning what level of schooling you each have. If you are not interested in the topic of this thread - go to another thread.

                        ACG staff

                        Thank you - however, I didn't bother asking him his IQ level cause its apparent what it is.

                        And in answer to your signature question, gravity came from the Creator - just ask any Deist...
                        Last edited by Theoferrum; 13 Mar 16, 21:33.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Nice rejoinder!

                          Welcome to the forum.
                          Thanks!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            Actually Eight!

                            In fact, the first President of the United States was one John Hanson.

                            I can hear you now — John who?
                            I guess it never occurred to you little owl that, since I posted this thread I am familiar with the topic and how many Presidents of Congress some people say we have had and what their names were. You also, apparently, missed the part about the President of Congress being a Legislative position and not an Executive position and, therefore, this country only had one President before Washington that ruled in the Executive Capacity.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              None that mattered.
                              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X