Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Colonists: episode 2

11th of April 1640

The sunny but chilly weather has moved on to supply the colonists with an icy rain and some strong winds. Some of the colonists have lost their tents in the process, prompting the governor Sir Richard Engelhard to force a decision.

Gentlemen, it is of utmost importance that I make a decision today. I will follow the advice of Captain Anderson and the majority of our wise members by determing the place of our colony to the south. As pointed out by Mr. Anderson, with the river to the north, the woods and cliffs to the east and the farmlands to the west.

We will move there tomorrow morning and we will leave nobody behind, so get everything packed. I believe we should be able to make it there in about an hour and a half. We must circumvent around the rivers to the west and then head eastwards –and a little southwards- along the riverbanks.

Now we must determine what we will be building in the next two months (early June). We currently have a total workforce of 10 credits to divide as we wish among the buildings of our choosing.

A large meeting house will cost 4 credits to build

A store house will cost 2 credits to build

Walls around our colony will cost 3 credits to build

A dwelling for a family of five will cost 2 credits to build

A farmhouse with crops will cost 2 credits (let's start farming!)

A harbor with tradehouse and docks will cost 4 credits

A fishing boat will cost 1 credit (let's go fishing!)

A windmill for a family of 4 to live in will cost 3 credits

A fort on the outskirts of our colony will cost 4 credits

A wooden church will cost 3 credits

And we will also need to name our colony…any suggestions?

How about New Hope?

Sir Roger Engelhard

Large meeting house (4)
    12.33%
    Store house (2)
    15.07%
    Walls (3)
    5.48%
    Dwelling (2)
    10.96%
    Farm (2)
    19.18%
    Harbor (4)
    0.00%
    Fishing boat (1)
    21.92%
    Windmill (3)
    5.48%
    Fort/Outpost (4)
    4.11%
    Church (3) but what religion?
    5.48%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Stratego; 25 Jun 10, 16:00.
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
    And we will also need to name our colony…any suggestions?

How about New Hope?
    As we seem to be running our new colony along democratic principles, how about collecting all suggestions and then organizing a poll?

As a doctor I'm trained to look deeper, so I have even two suggestions:
    • In honour of our leader, our common ancestry and the fertility of the new land: New Anglia
    • To dedicate this land to the new princess, Titia, back home and so guarantee we will have a powerful royal benefactor and protector: Titiania
    "BTW, the name is Snevsson, Dr. Snevsson"
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 26 Jun 10, 10:18.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

We have to start a farm now so that the seeds we brought with us are not wasted. We need a fort because even though there are no conflicts with natives now, we don't know what will happen in the future.

Comment

A fishing boat can begin providing immediate benefits to the community.
        I don't think a mill or a harbor would be usefull until we have grain to grind or crops and other products to export in trade. The store house may also wait until the harvest. So farm-houses and fishing 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSennef View Post
          • In honour of our leader, our common ancestry and the fertility of the new land: New Anglia
          • To dedicate this land to the new princess back home and so guarantee we will have a powerful royal benefactor and protector: Titiania
          "BTW, the name is Snevsson, Dr. Snevsson, not Mr. Anderson"
          I like New Hope. After all, there is a reason we left Anglia.

Comment

I think that we should build a.

Meeting house, for sleeping and cooking because it is bigger than a dwelling = 4 credits

Walls, for protection and to keep the livestock = 3 credits

Farm, to grow crops and provide something to trade with = 2 credits

Fishing boat to explore further in land by rivers, and to provide us another substance when we have no meat during the winter = 1 credits
            In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
            - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
              I think that we should build a.

Meeting house, for sleeping and cooking because it is bigger than a dwelling = 4 credits

Walls, for protection and to keep the livestock = 3 credits

Farm, to grow crops and provide something to trade with = 2 credits

Fishing boat to explore further in land by rivers, and to provide us another substance when we have no meat during the winter = 1 credits
              Agreed.

Comment

1. A large meeting house
                A very important and extremely useful building
                Temporary shelter for most of the colonists until more houses are completed
                Could also be used for storage, caring for the sick, church services, defense, etc.

2. A storehouse
                To store food and equipment, can also serve as a temporary shelter

3. 2 fishing boats
                Until our farms start producing, fishing will be one of the best food sources we have. (oh, and I was only able to check fishing boat once)

4. A farm
                Let's start farming!

Total: 10 points
                We can build more later but these will be the most important.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSennef View Post
                  As we seem to be running our new colony along democratic principles, how about collecting all suggestions and then organizing a poll?

As a doctor I'm trained to look deeper, so I have even two suggestions:
                  • To dedicate this land to the new princess back home and so guarantee we will have a powerful royal benefactor and protector: Titiania
                  "BTW, the name is Snevsson, Dr. Snevsson, not Mr. Anderson"
                  I agree with you on Titiania.
                  New Hope is a good name, but it is kind of original. Maybe Providence?

Comment

New Hope works just as equally for me, but possibly another consideration: Haven? After all, Haven is what we wish to offer those troubled by persecution and ill-chance back in the Old Country, while Hope may be a marvelous thing... but isn't always accompanied by a taste for a good day's work.

Either way, John Wayland Smith shall be content.

There is no need for a docks or a harbor, never mind a warehouse until either Harvest or the Supply-ship arrives in October.

For now with our tent-homes blowing down and the weather turning vicious it is important to both get some seed into the ground: 2x Farmhouse (2 Credits), make a home for more of us: 1x Dwelling (2 Credits), and a home that will become a vital functioning part of our colony in years to come: 1x Windmill (3 Credits). This will provide homes for at least 9 of us, I suspect closer to 17 once the Farmhouses are taken into account. Hopefully more of us can fit inside until the weather warms or more houses can be built.

Building a Fishing Boat (1 credit) will make a valuable addition to our food supplies in the time leading up to the harvest.

Essentially until we meet other folk in this New World, I don't believe we need to focus on defending against them. And while a Meeting House would certainly be valuable (as would a Church) at giving our nascent community a solid grounding in matters of faith and drawing us together, I believe God is a kind enough Father to forgive our making homes for our weak mortal flesh before we build one for his eternal divine spirit.

Last edited by Khryses; 25 Jun 10, 16:56.
                    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Chaplain William Bailey

I propose that we build a sturdy Meeting House. In it we may conduct our business, and it will double as a good structure for dwelling until such time as other arrangements have been made. I can hold Sunday's sermons here as well as in a church. I would like to have a church, but God is patient, so I must be as well.

A Store House will allow us storage for such provisions as should not meet with the weather, as well as good shelter for more of us.

We need to build walls to protect ourselves from marauders and wild animals. Solomon with all his wisdom lived in a walled town.

A fishing boat will allow us to reap God's bounty from the sea. It also allows us to travel and explore our new waterways.
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      — Groucho Marx

Comment

I accidently only clicked on fishing boat not realizing this was a multi-choice poll. Can somebody who was not planning on voting for the large meeting hall pleas click a vote for it in my stead? Same with walls and farm please?

Comment

Why does everyone say that we need a store house when we don't have any crops to put in it right now?

Comment

I do not think that we need to build a fort/outpost right now because it would take to long to build. Walls would be much quicker and serve the purpose.

Comment

Cpt. Anderson's thoughts and why;

Store house (2) - For the bigger space than regular dwelling so that it can provided sturdy housing for people as well as being for storage. Also to double as an infirmary as needed and God forbid, a redoubt should we be attacked.

Dwelling (2) - Additional sturdy housing.

Farm (2) - Goes without saying

Fishing boat (1) - As an alternate and immediate source of food, secondary exploration use.

Windmill (3) - A good place for a lookout since it should be fairly high and as a granary when materials become available. Also as secondary housing.
                              [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X