Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

So Custer? Great General, or Greatest General . ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    People here like posts to be referenced so they can fact check.

    I have lysdexia as well. I just have overcame it.

    Custer was a tosser...

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...british/tosser


    Comment


    • Originally posted by FluffyBunnyFeet View Post
      Or people ask for citations, because they don't want them to be credible, and they need to by time LOL.
      Or because what you're posting about certain events bears no resemblence to the actual history of said events, and your refusal to source these claims makes their status as fiction even more obvious.
      "Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!" -Daniel Webster

      Comment


      • Note to self: Self, add Custer to southern secession, Bernard Montgomery, red-headed women, and 9mm vs .45 as topics that everyone has already made up their minds about.

        Self, do not offer an opinion or discuss these topics with the passionate regardless of which side of the topics their passion lies.
        Last edited by KRJ; 26 Mar 14, 05:30.
        "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

        Comment


        • You forgot TTTSNBN. Got to add that in there.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            You forgot TTTSNBN. Got to add that in there.
            You will have to explain that one.
            "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

            Comment


            • Originally posted by KRJ View Post
              You will have to explain that one.
              The Thread That Shall Not Be Named.

              Go into the Alternative History thread and have a look at the stickies. Operation Sealion is pretty much closed as a topic of conversation.
              "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

              Comment


              • Originally posted by KRJ View Post
                Note to self: Self, add Custer to southern secession, Bernard Montgomery, red-headed women, and 9mm vs .45 as topics that everyone has already made up their minds about.

                Self, do not offer an opinion or discuss these topics with the passionate regardless of which side of the topics their passion lies.
                I've read quite a bit on Custer and the LBH campaign and definitely have an opinion of the man and his capabilities as a commander.

                That being said, this is precisely why I have avoided this thread until now.

                Excellent post!
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                Homer


                BoRG

                Comment


                • If Custer would have left his .45 at home, he then could have carried enough 9 mm ammo to win the battle and he would be with us now.

                  Comment


                  • [QUOTE=Gambrinus II;3129269]If Custer would have left his .45 at home, he then could have carried enough 9 mm ammo to win the battle and he would be with us now.[/QUOTE

                    Maybe that is why Benteen was suppose to "Bring Packs." PS. "Bring Packs" That Benteen knew had the the secret weapons he brought back from the futureby two time traveling high school students, doing research for a history report on Custers Great Victory at the LBH.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                      I've read quite a bit on Custer and the LBH campaign and definitely have an opinion of the man and his capabilities as a commander.

                      That being said, this is precisely why I have avoided this thread until now.

                      Excellent post!
                      What can one say of Amstrong that hasn't already been thrashed out?

                      I think if we could ask the contemporary soldiers that served under Custer, their impressions might be enlightening, whatever they may be. I would dare to say, that Custer was not a popular commander by any stretch, and his hard driving ways would have made the 7th Cav a terrible posting for any trooper unfortunate enough to serve under him.

                      I also note that the attempts to wangle himself a Medal of Honor have been exagerrated. Custer was privy to the powerful of the day, and if that sort of influence failed to get him what he wanted, then his influence has also been exagerrated somewhat over the years.

                      Bottom of his class at West Point, a career in the Civil War distinguished for his "dash", and a reputation as a hardass does not bode well for his critics saying too much thats kind to him.

                      On the other hand, he has been said to be more alive in photographs than any other figure of his time, in a era when most people looked dead standing up before the camera.
                      My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

                      Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                      GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                      Lincoln-Douglas Debates

                      Comment


                      • Custer could have been a great politician.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                          What can one say of Amstrong that hasn't already been thrashed out?

                          I think if we could ask the contemporary soldiers that served under Custer, their impressions might be enlightening, whatever they may be. I would dare to say, that Custer was not a popular commander by any stretch, and his hard driving ways would have made the 7th Cav a terrible posting for any trooper unfortunate enough to serve under him.

                          I also note that the attempts to wangle himself a Medal of Honor have been exagerrated. Custer was privy to the powerful of the day, and if that sort of influence failed to get him what he wanted, then his influence has also been exagerrated somewhat over the years.

                          Bottom of his class at West Point, a career in the Civil War distinguished for his "dash", and a reputation as a hardass does not bode well for his critics saying too much thats kind to him.

                          On the other hand, he has been said to be more alive in photographs than any other figure of his time, in a era when most people looked dead standing up before the camera.
                          One you, don't have to ask, their are hundereds of descriptions of Custers leadership, and it goes all over the board.

                          This is the case of Custer is no different than today, except for the fame. If you are a motivated soldiery like in the Civil War, and you were going from battle to battle they loved him, because they knew he was a fighter that if they were going to be asked to die, at least they had a decisive commander that was going to be right their leading them, instead of being served up piece meal by some guy looking through his binoculars a mile away.

                          Where in contrast In the Frontier Army, you at a highly unmotivated, poorly paid army of mostly desperate men that were poor immigrants, criminals, and cut throats. Most enlisted men had no battle experience, and unlike the Civil War where they were bloodied quick and often, and therefore knew the value of demanding officers and preparation, However in the Western Occupation they grew complacent, because there was not a fight everyday, or even in a year. They think as most young kids do that they are just naturally prepared for battle, and do not need training and preperation, so of course a hard ass is going to be looked down upon, while some glorified Human Resource Officer just going through the motion, and prepares them for **** is going to be loved.

                          But that is the difference between front line units today that know that they will one day be in a fight, compared to the glorified office clerks and car pool jockies in the back that think they are all set and want the Human Resource officer, "Marcus Reno" rather than the Combat Officer, IE Custer.

                          But in that one day that all the sudden the Army becomes real, All the sudden that hated hardass combat officer that everyone loathed becomes the most loved man in the world, while the Human Resource Officer at the first sign of unpreparedness Like "Reno" infect the unit with immediate doom.

                          Second Custer was a staff officer for the begining of the war, his fighting engagements were limited, though he always tried to get in the fight whenever he could. Then he went right from Captain, to General, and that is where he started fighting constantly, and distinguished himself in battle. But Generals were normally exempt from The Medal of Honor, as to not create animosity with the subordinates. I think given the choice he was happy with the Stars.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Gambrinus II View Post
                            Custer could have been a great politician.
                            He was a terrible politician! That is why he was in Grants and Sheridans doghouse. If he knew how to play politics, like the overall commander of the 7th Sturgis, who spent al his time on Detached Service" whining and dining politicians, and Businessmen in Washington, rather than isolating himself out on the Planes away from the Politics, and sticking his ass on the line trying to point our all the corruption in the Army and Indian Agencies, that ultimately affected his situation and decision making during the lead up to the LBH.

                            Comment


                            • It was Custer that ultimately affected his situation and decision making during the lead up to the LBH.

                              I feel that anymore dialog with you will result in my

                              Is there an ignore button on this site?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Gambrinus II View Post
                                It was Custer that ultimately affected his situation and decision making during the lead up to the LBH.

                                I feel that anymore dialog with you will result in my

                                Is there an ignore button on this site?
                                So basically you just like to post opinions, and then mute scrutiny when reality comes a calling. I'm sure that Custer knowing that the President was out to destroy him the first chance he got, did not affect his decision making? The fact that if the Indians had fled without Custer engaging them while still in group, as they escaped right through the door Crooke left open, he likely also would have been Court Marshaled. Custer had only one way to defend himself against the arguably the most Corrupt President in US history. Victory. Why wouldn't a guy that had never been defeated in 60+ fights not bet on himself, especially when it was his mission. "That if he should strike the trail, do what he thought was best".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X