Historical southern politics.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical southern politics.....

.....were sometimes settled by blood. Well, at least on one occasion anyway. And none of that elitist rapier stuff either.

http://www.knifeart.com/bow.html

Last edited by KRJ; 19 Aug 12, 06:58.
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Ah, the Arkansas toothpick or Bowie Knife. Very quick and deadly in skilled hands. Much more skill involved then in dueling pistols, another method often used to settle disputes back then.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
      Ah, the Arkansas toothpick or Bowie Knife.
      Ron, not sure about your terminology. I know some use the terms Arkansas Toothpick and Bowie synonymously but I think Arkansas Toothpick originally referred to a dagger.
      "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
        Ron, not sure about your terminology. I know some use the terms Arkansas Toothpick and Bowie synonymously but I think Arkansas Toothpick originally referred to a dagger.
        The confusion probably stems from the fact the Arkansas Toothpick and Bowie Knife were invented by the same man (James Black). You are correct, that Arkansas Toothpick is generally a large throwing dagger.

"Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
        Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
          Prawn heads
          by Karri
          How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
          Today, 11:40
        • Jose50
          Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
          by Jose50
          Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
          Today, 08:41
        • Von Richter
          Sagittarius Rising...
          by Von Richter
          Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
          Today, 01:19
        Working...
        X