Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for*security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day.*I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place. Awards it one of the only things that have gone away and won't be coming back. that is due to a limitation of the new hosting.

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie
- Color/Theme changes
-*Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the*Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below.
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Guns near the President

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns near the President

now i know the right to bear arms is pretty important to many Americans, but isnt this going a bit too far?

PHOENIX – About a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, milled among protesters outside the convention center where President Barack Obama was giving a speech Monday — the latest incident in which protesters have openly displayed firearms near the president.

Gun-rights advocates say they're exercising their constitutional right to bear arms and protest, while those who argue for more gun control say it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Phoenix police said the gun-toters at Monday's event, including the man carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder, didn't need permits. No crimes were committed, and no one was arrested.

The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.

Phoenix police Detective J. Oliver, who monitored the man at the downtown protest, said police also wanted to make sure no one decided to harm him.

"Just by his presence and people seeing the rifle and people knowing the president was in town, it sparked a lot of emotions," Oliver said. "We were keeping peace on both ends."
    Man carrying assault weapon attends Obama protest

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking?

So, was he standing on the pro or anti-Obama side? If it is found that he's pro-Obama, I'm pretty sure the media will take a completely different tune tomorrow.

Comment

Gun control is good, to a certain degree... this is one of them. I love firearms. I don't hunt, I just like to shoot. I don't like total gun control laws, but this doens't think everyone should have a machine gun mounted on the top of thier roofs. Certain places definitly need to have the 'no gun' sign... like where the presient is. If they argue that its against their rights as an American... I'm sure not mentally with it.
      I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

If everyone who was elgible for a gun license got one and wore them wherever they go there would be a lot less crime, more people taking responsiblity for their own actions and everyone treated equally. You can plainly see the law enforcement officers in AZ knew what the law was and respected it. Some cop from New Jersey would probably have had a cardiac arrest from someone actually using their constitutional rights.

I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth. Indeed, they are not even allowed in the building without a weapon and clip. I had a fruitcake State Department officer come down & visit & he about had apoplexy from seeing all these people with all their guns.

Let me clue you, if someone says they worked a year in Iraq & they didn't get out of Baghdad they didn't really work in Iraq.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
          I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth.
          You're eating in a warzone.
          #occupyarmchairgeneral.
          Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
          Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
            If everyone who was elgible for a gun license got one and wore them wherever they go there would be a lot less crime, more people taking responsiblity for their own actions and everyone treated equally. You can plainly see the law enforcement officers in AZ knew what the law was and respected it. Some cop from New Jersey would probably have had a cardiac arrest from someone actually using their constitutional rights.

I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth. Indeed, they are not even allowed in the building without a weapon and clip. I had a fruitcake State Department officer come down & visit & he about had apoplexy from seeing all these people with all their guns.

Let me clue you, if someone says they worked a year in Iraq & they didn't get out of Baghdad they didn't really work in Iraq.
            LMAO you cant be serious. It amazing how some people view weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTsoGood View Post
              now i know the right to bear arms is pretty important to many Americans, but isnt this going a bit too far?

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking
              ?
              STOP that! Logic has no place in such arguments.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Armed men are "milling about" outside where Obama is speaking????

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh, they obviously are fantasizing shooting him.

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post

Apparently he has had more threats than any other president on record.

Comment

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking?
                    The man wasn't close enough to the President to pose a threat. Had he brought it onto the venue grounds, he would have been in trouble since the location had been federalized temporarily. Furthermore, the man had the weapon in a non-threatening position. The rifle was slung over his shoulder onto his back, with the barrel pointed down. This is very different from holding his weapon at the high or low ready, where it can be quickly brought into a firing position.

To be honest, the guy appeared to be less of a threat than protesters who scream, shout, obstruct entrance into a building, or create a scene in a high-traffic area where an accident can occur.
                    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Maybe its because I've been around guns much of my life, but I don't think having a gun near the president means they want to shoot him. They didn't try to conceal the firearm and get close enough to take a shot. The guy would be at a disadvantage if someone pulled a pistol on him because of the amount of time it would take to bring his rifle to a firing position. I think they were just making a statement about the right to bear arms. CNN quoted the guy talking about the need for people and authorities to be aware of their rights when it comes to carrying a weapon in public.

I'm not going to suggest these people were "pro-Obama", but at the least the guy with the rifle didn't strike me as some whack job looking to turn a national debate into a national tragedy.
                      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

You may well be right, Deltapooh, but there is a flavor here...........

A sort of undercurrent of wistful thinking. I don't believe they would be testing right to bear arms if a Pres. McCain was speaking at that convention center.

Comment

Seems like KKK mentality to me. I wont comment on Obama's policies or beliefs, but I consider him a brave man.
                          "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                          "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                          — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Dear Leader's presence in the state of Arizona doesn't alter Arizona's open-carry laws.

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                            Apparently he has had more threats than any other president on record.
                            The only source for an abnormal number of death threats is a book by Ronald Kessler, a journalist for NewsMax magazine.
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

You may well be right, Deltapooh, but there is a flavor here...........

A sort of undercurrent of wistful thinking. I don't believe they would be testing right to bear arms if a Pres. McCain was speaking at that convention center.
                              True, particularly if they are clueless to the real intent of the GOP, which is to limit the 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                              X