Introducing 'From Balloons to Drones'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing 'From Balloons to Drones'

Established in 2016, From Balloons to Drones is an online platform that seeks to provide analysis and debate about air power history, theory, and contemporary operations in their broadest sense including space and cyber power. We post regular articles, research notes, commentaries and book reviews on various aspects related to air power. Recent articles have included disussion related to the role of RAF 'wings' as a propoganda tool during the Second World War and attacks on refugees by the USAAF during the First Iasi-Kishinev Offensive.

I will use this threads to notify members of new articles.

Ross

Originally posted by RossM View Post
    Established in 2016, From Balloons to Drones is an online platform that seeks to provide analysis and debate about air power history, theory, and contemporary operations in their broadest sense including space and cyber power. We post regular articles, research notes, commentaries and book reviews on various aspects related to air power. Recent articles have included disussion related to the role of RAF 'wings' as a propoganda tool during the Second World War and attacks on refugees by the USAAF during the First Iasi-Kishinev Offensive.

I will use this threads to notify members of new articles.

Ross
    No thanks. You sound like another anti-American, and we;re already butt deep with those. But I'm sure you have lots of articles to share about bombing atrocities against civilians committed by the Russians all over the Middle East and the Balkans.

Clearly you don't know a damned thing about the highly restrictive American rules of engagement.

Let's see you post those instead of smearing America.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

An odd reply. I am not anti-American in any way, and you are making an assumption based on me sharing one article out of nearly 140 published by 'From Balloons to Drones' since our establishment in 2016. Please take the time to read the articles published on the site before jumping to conclusions about my political persuasions, those of my fellow editors, and contributors. Indeed, many of my contributors are American; I am a Brit living in Australia. Moreover, I would be happy to publish articles that deals with other countries that have used air power to attack civilians, which has, sadly been an all too often occurrence since the birth of military aviation.

Just to deal with history; however, there is plenty of evidence to show that in the Second World War the US bombed civilians both intentionally and unintentionally in Europe and the Far East. Some of this, as shown in this article by a US academic, was done for effect while some were a response to the technological limitations of the day. Despite the propaganda surrounding precision American attacks during the Second World War, this just was not possible. Indeed, if you read US bombing reports and see the term 'marshalling yards' this is, in short, a reference to an area attack by the US as this was all they could see. The Norden bombsight was great over the Nevada desert but not so great over Europe were cloud cover is common. This is not an anti-American statement but rather historical analysis.

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by RossM View Post
        An odd reply. I am not anti-American in any way, and you are making an assumption based on me sharing one article out of nearly 140 published by 'From Balloons to Drones' since our establishment in 2016. Please take the time to read the articles published on the site before jumping to conclusions about my political persuasions, those of my fellow editors, and contributors. Indeed, many of my contributors are American; I am a Brit living in Australia. Moreover, I would be happy to publish articles that deals with other countries that have used air power to attack civilians, which has, sadly been an all too often occurrence since the birth of military aviation.

Just to deal with history; however, there is plenty of evidence to show that in the Second World War the US bombed civilians both intentionally and unintentionally in Europe and the Far East. Some of this, as shown in this article by a US academic, was done for effect while some were a response to the technological limitations of the day. Despite the propaganda surrounding precision American attacks during the Second World War, this just was not possible. Indeed, if you read US bombing reports and see the term 'marshalling yards' this is, in short, a reference to an area attack by the US as this was all they could see. The Norden bombsight was great over the Nevada desert but not so great over Europe were cloud cover is common. This is not an anti-American statement but rather historical analysis.

Ross
        Indeed marshalling yards were usually selected as the alternative target should the prime one be obscured as they were much easier to find

During the 'Transportation Plan' leading up to Overlord when railways in France were specifically targeted by both the RAF and the USAAF it was found that RAF raids led by Oboe fitted Mosquitos actually had more success in pinpointing the yards and caused less collateral damage. The French yards were within Oboes optimum operating range.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

What looks to be the Home Page (?):
          ... About

From Balloons to Drones, exploring the development of air power from the earliest days of flight to now and the future.
          Over the past two decades, airpower has become the “Western way of war” […] because it offers the prospect of military victory without large-scale destruction and loss of life. Airpower, however, cannot be decisive or even effective under all circumstances […] The utility of airpower is highly situational (emphasis added).
          John Andreas Olsen[1]

Air power remains the preferred weapon of choice for many governments. However, the application and development of air power are controversial and misunderstood. To remedy this, From Balloons to Drones is an online scholarly platform that seeks to provide analysis and debate about air power history, theory, and contemporary operations in their broadest sense including space and cyber power. From Balloons to Drones recognises that air power is more than just ‘aircraft, weapons systems and bombing.’[2] Any analysis of air power must also encompass, though not limited to, issues such as ‘training, education, values, rules of engagement, leadership, adaptability, boldness in execution, and a range of other factors, tangible and non-tangible, that influence a military operation.’[3] Given this broad view, From Balloons to Drones seeks to encourage a healthy discussion over the use of air power in its broadest sense and seeks a wide range of contributions covering historical themes as well as discussions on contemporary operations and challenges.
          https://balloonstodrones.com/

Note the "Menu" tab at upper right for navigating through this site and it's offerings ...
          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Pending placement in another thread, here's a couple drone items mentioned in recent issue of Air and Space;
            https://www.airspacemag.com/

The Air Force has a new drone-killing microwave weapon named 'Thor'
            https://taskandpurpose.com/air-force...crowave-weapon

Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System (PRS)
            https://www.army-technology.com/proj...ssance-system/
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X