Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore Leave

Dear all,

I have spent the past 4 years conducting research for Shore Leave, an 88 page hardcover, clothbound photo book which documents the experience of sailors in WWII-era Hawaii, mostly Honolulu. It includes 79 images total as well as a 1500 word essay. Many of the images were culled from veterans' scrapbooks which gives an intimate look at the tattoo parlors, billiards halls, bars, and brothels of Honolulu's Chinatown. It is self published and I hope some of you will find it interesting and worthy of your hard earned money.

Best,

Ryan

Shore Leave on New York Mag and Huffington Post:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/04/shor...ld-war-ii.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0479c59d6f6ba

Comment

I launched this standalone site to share outtakes from the book:

http://shoreleave.co

Happy Memorial Day everyone.
      Last edited by boyo; 30 May 16, 12:22.

Comment

More nice words about the book:

http://www.printmag.com/daily-heller...-and-tattooed/

Comment

Message me for Armchair General discount

Comment

Actually, Boyo, considering the up-coming 75th Anniverse of PH, this book could be very timely.

Honalul was not exactly on th top of the list for a posting for Navy 'gobs' from what I understand, but it's bargirls and tatto parlours were legendary, and any record of this bygone era should find a place on any bookshelf og the militarist collector.

Drusus
            My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
            GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Why hardbound? Electronic format would be much more practicable, especially given the tiny page count.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

One of the more interesting rumors that came to the attention of the Congressional Investigation into the raid on Pearl Harbor was that Japanese had been freely buying drinks on Saturday before the attack. This was supposedly to greatly reduce the efficiency of the soldiers and sailors that next morning. The police/Shore Patrol records were pulled and it was found that the arrests for public drunkenness and "absent over leave" incidents were no higher than normal.
                Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources
                The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                  One of the more interesting rumors that came to the attention of the Congressional Investigation into the raid on Pearl Harbor was that Japanese had been freely buying drinks on Saturday before the attack. This was supposedly to greatly reduce the efficiency of the soldiers and sailors that next morning. The police/Shore Patrol records were pulled and it was found that the arrests for public drunkenness and "absent over leave" incidents were no higher than normal.
                  Gosh the old ones never die do they? There were stories in Britain in WW1 about German agents buying drinks for AA crews before Zeppelin raids. These tall tales may have originated as a result of the very real regulations against buying other people a drink in designated defended areas. A much disliked and oft evaded regulation.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                    Actually, Boyo, considering the up-coming 75th Anniverse of PH, this book could be very timely.

Honalul was not exactly on th top of the list for a posting for Navy 'gobs' from what I understand, but it's bargirls and tatto parlours were legendary, and any record of this bygone era should find a place on any bookshelf og the militarist collector.

Drusus
                    I wish there were more photos of those bargirls and tattoo parlours. We turned up a few of them, but for the most part they are very hard to come by!

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Why hardbound? Electronic format would be much more practicable, especially given the tiny page count.
                      I hear you. I personally feel that the electronic format is best suited for books with a lot of text, whereas visual books are more of an object to be displayed on the coffee table or bookshelf. With this in mind, I made an effort to make the book "feel" really nice based on the choice of the cloth and paper stock. That said, I may explore the e-book format in the future if it is relatively inexpensive to produce.

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                        I love that. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Boy, youll have to secret message a real address, and Ill send a postal order to cover my purchase, converted to US dollars I would imagine?

Im actually looking forward to this vmuch. This is a neglected subject matter, and any book with an authour who is covering his book in cloth shows he cares about the book a lot and therefore the subject matter.

Cant wait for this!
                          My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                          GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                          Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X