Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Know Foreign Paper Money? And Its Worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know Foreign Paper Money? And Its Worth?

We have came across some money one's uncle had, and we'll explain what they are. We have no coin stores anywhere anymore.

1st one-Bank of Korea. Denomination-10 Won. We assume South Korea due to the image likeness. Anywhere from 1950-1953. Really good condition except for one corner looks chewed. One's uncle was in the Korean War then.

2nd one. It is written on the back-unfortunately. 1944. New Guinea and it was controlled according to the money by the Nederlands. Denomination-50c. More than us looking, and no one is finding anything on either-or value. Any ideas. PM Me. Thanks.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you go, Kirk. You can do it online nowadays. That's why most 'coin stores' are all closed.

http://www.gocurrency.com/
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

The historic don't go back far enough. I can't understand exchange rates. But definitely, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
        The historic don't go back far enough. I can't understand exchange rates. But definitely, thank you.
        There should be other online converters that do go back to 1944.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

I hope so. I've honestly never seen paper money in 50c increment before. And I sure don't understand 0.089.....

Comment

Well for one thing, unless you get it graded by a respected grader, your estimate of its condition is meaningless. The grade of paper money greatly affects the value. The 10 Won note was the note that GIs brought back the most of, meaning it was taken out of circulation in the ROK and sat in drawers in America more than any other note of that time period. Meaning most of the other notes were taken out of circulation by the government and destroyed leaving the 10 Won note being the least rare. I'm not sure of the grade of yours, I found what are similar to your description in grade being sold for like 9 or 10 bucks.

I found several Netherlands Indies Gulden 50c notes from 1943 in graded at VF listed for between 10-12 dollars. What color is the Gulden note? Is the face orange and back green and printed by the American Bank Note Company?

I can't find any history of there being Netherlands New Guinea currency until 1950 and they never issued a 50c note.
            Кто там?
            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

That is the 50c note. On the back it says Sept. 1944. When he was in WWII. My serial number is different than the one in the pic. Mine says FA 124138.
              Colors all correct.

The 10 Won yes was sent home by air mail in 50-53. It is perfect cause it sat in the envelope with the letter all these years. Only one defect. A corner has been nicked off.

Still and all, worth more than I thought. Originally written on the back of the 50c note said it = 26c U.S. Army value.
              Crazy.
              Thanks mate for the information. Finding a good grader in the backwoods where I am at present and where I live is not possible. May have to take it maybe to Evansville or Paducah, that is closest at the moment.

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
              Well for one thing, unless you get it graded by a respected grader, your estimate of its condition is meaningless. The grade of paper money greatly affects the value. The 10 Won note was the note that GIs brought back the most of, meaning it was taken out of circulation in the ROK and sat in drawers in America more than any other note of that time period. Meaning most of the other notes were taken out of circulation by the government and destroyed leaving the 10 Won note being the least rare. I'm not sure of the grade of yours, I found what are similar to your description in grade being sold for like 9 or 10 bucks.

I found several Netherlands Indies Gulden 50c notes from 1943 in graded at VF listed for between 10-12 dollars. What color is the Gulden note? Is the face orange and back green and printed by the American Bank Note Company?

I can't find any history of there being Netherlands New Guinea currency until 1950 and they never issued a 50c note.

Comment

1st one-Bank of Korea. Denomination-10 Won. We assume South Korea due to the image likeness. Anywhere from 1950-1953. Really good condition except for one corner looks chewed. One's uncle was in the Korean War then.

1950 South Korean won = 1.7420 US dollars

Comment

Not worth much eh? Its making me laugh. Thanks Sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                    1950 South Korean won = 1.7420 US dollars
                    I think you are talking tender value, not collector value.
                    Кто там?

Comment

I decided to pass them along to my kids. Trent and Tyler now have them. Thanks guys.

Comment

I decided to pass them along to my kids. Trent and Tyler now have them. Thanks guys.
                        Probably the best choice IMO!
                        Кто там?

Comment

Yeah. Keeping them in the family-pass it on!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                            I think you are talking tender value, not collector value.
                            Yep. What you want is the collector value. Old notes and coinage can be valuable. You just need to be lucky enough to find something sought after that is rare.
                            A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Okay, I didn't know you were asking about collector value. I did some looking and saw this, hope it helps.

http://www.atoncer.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tingID=1068909

http://www.atoncer.com/cgi-bin/aucti...MCpEkCD&page=4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X