No announcement yet.

Allsirgarnet - Sad News to Announce: Our Friend, Allsirgarnet Has Passed Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaz - Until we fight another game of Waterloo someday my friend RIP...

Comment

Until the next time we meet again,in the foggy mist,I say adieu for now,and will seek you out on that day. May God Bless Gary.
      (words from my dad)
      Attached Files
      Gary Johnson/Jim Gray 2012

Comment

Not a day gone and he seems to be forgotten here at ACG. I have only one word for you and it isn't friendly in the least.

Comment

Dad says he isn't to him. Truthfully,he almost went before him. Not many know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Not a day gone and he seems to be forgotten here at ACG. I have only one word for you and it isn't friendly in the least.
            I haven't forgotten him. It's been on my mind all day.

On a Tuesday morning I work in a Cancer Research charity shop. When my stepsister died in February, I decided I wanted to do something, so I volunteered to go help out. It's not much I know .. but I'm self employed and a single mum so I have very little time to spare. This just seemed a way of doing something and I love it there. Good people.

Last week I was telling them about how my friend had lost his wife so tragically .. and this morning I was telling them about Gary.

It just makes you think about how randomly this disease can strike - it could be any one of us, at any time. Cancer doesn't care, young, old, fit, unfit, fat, thin, good or bad.

When you think about some of the sh*t we worry about and get upset about, it's just madness. Reading back through Gary's posts .... he was just like the rest of us. Sat in front of his computer, typing his thoughts, getting into arguments, cracking jokes, writing about the things he cared about, sticking up for his country .... and now he's silent. He was here .. and now he's gone.

So yeah ... I've been thinking about him. A lot.
            "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
            - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
              - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                It just makes you think about how randomly this disease can strike - it could be any one of us, at any time. Cancer doesn't care, young, old, fit, unfit, fat, thin, good or bad.
                I wonder, though, if in Gary's case it really was random. At one time he worked as a chemist, specializing in the extraction of very rare and valuable metals. He told me many tales of mishaps in the laboratory, often in a humorous vein, but all potentially quite serious given the caustic nature of the chemicals with which they were working.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

That sounds logical. My aunt worked for a fertilizer plant,and dad has always believed that is how she got her cancer.

Comment

We're a day further now but I still feel this profoundly saddening caused by his passing.

Amongst his many qualities, Gary had this unique ability to make war games come to life. While engrossed in his campaigns he gave me the feeling I was waging war in Belgium rather than just playing in a war game.
                    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 25 Jul 12, 13:52.
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                      God what sad news. Gary was a true gentleman as others have said. My thoughts are with his family in this difficult time.
                      Agreed on all points. Very sad news.

Comment

I can't help shake the feeling that even today -- two days after the loss of Gary -- is a little emptier than the days that came before. Yeah, life goes on, but I can't say that it feels exactly as before.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          I can't help shake the feeling that even today -- two days after the loss of Gary -- is a little emptier than the days that came before. Yeah, life goes on, but I can't say that it feels exactly as before.
                          It's still raw, mate. Still new. In time it fades, you don't forget, but the new becomes familiar, normal if you like. This bit is actually the least difficult. In a month or so once it fades something will happen, your kid tells a joke say and for a second You think to yourself that you have to tell them about it. Then you remember you can't.

That really hurts.
                          "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

I know he had other close friends, but I really only know, at least a little bit, just how close you & Gary were. Marc, I know that you were quite lucky to know Gary Steadman far more personally than all of us here. So much so that he isn't just a memory as we hold him in our own hearts. You actually know him so well that a piece of him now dwells within you. It will never be the same. It will never stop hurting. It might become a little easier, but it will always be a world slighty less bright because of how well you know him - and Love him as a brother... Inside you, Marc, even though it is still difficult to even conceive it possible... You have yet to be but patient until the clouds & the fog of his physical passing from us, yet so fresh, lifts... Within your heart, and even in our own hearts memories of him, his life yet glows and it is as certain that as long as you live, that Gary lives within you and you will always find him there.

You & all that came to know him should be so honored to have been among the better parts of his life!

I know this from my own best friends passing, my son... and you will soon know it, too!

The light of him shines, my friend, yet hidden by the fog of your own grief...

He has not left you, he is within you and you will find him there!

I think there are many that will find him there.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

My dad being the prophet he can be when he wants,or the poet,said Gary is forever in our hearts,and minds. He taught him things about the Napoleonic era he never knew,and that he is forever grateful for.

Comment

Shocked and saddened to hear this; my condolences to his family. Wish I was able to get to know him better.

RIP.
                                A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X