Rise In Oblique Injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise In Oblique Injuries

There seems to be an unusual rise in oblique strains in baseball and other sports. Players can be out for a few days or out for months.
    The DL time is about 50% longer for pitchers than position players.

The oblique muscles are located on the side and front of the abdomen and attached to the ribs, are responsible for flexing and rotating the trunk. Those are key movements in baseball.

Why the sudden rise in this injury the past 10 years? What are athletes doing differently now, than they did before?

Could it be side effects of steroid use? Too much bulk in one area and overstraining muscles in other areas?

Oblique Strains in Baseball: 2011 Update
    Written on March 29, 2011 at 6:56 am, by Eric Cressey

Just over three years ago, during a period where oblique strains were on the rise in professional baseball and the USA Today profiled this “new” injury, I wrote an article on what I perceived to be the causes of the issue. Check it out: Oblique Strains and Rotational Power.
    This year, the topic has come back to the forefront, as players like Joba Chamberlain, Sergio Mitre, Curtis Granderson, and Brian Wilson have experienced the injury this spring training alone.

Link to full article:
    http://ericcressey.com/oblique-strai...ll-2011-update
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

As absurd as it sounds, maybe they're just not stretching enough.
    That, or they're not playing enough pepper.

Comment

I guess signing multi-million dollar contracts gives some a free pass from pregame workouts.

I remember Barry Bonds was one of the worst of them. He actually had a lazy-boy lounge chair in front of his locker.
      He'd sit there and give interviews like it's nothing out of the ordinary.
      Barry Bonds rarely joined in on pregame stretching. If he did, it was for the press.

I am so glad he's gone. I am a huge Giants fan, but I don't have any memorabilia of Bonds in my collection.
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X