• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimi
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    And then posted them on Facebook

You would be amazed at how useful Facebook is in terms of crime fighting. Apparently Facebook has a special account they can let cops access that can circumvent privacy settings.
    One more reason I'm glad I dont have facebook.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Good stuff Duncan! I really like that some of the idiots were taking pictures of themselves while rioting.
    And then posted them on Facebook

You would be amazed at how useful Facebook is in terms of crime fighting. Apparently Facebook has a special account they can let cops access that can circumvent privacy settings.

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    It's like people didn't realise everyone and their dog has a camera-phone.
    Good stuff Duncan! I really like that some of the idiots were taking pictures of themselves while rioting.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    ^ Yeah, I've always wondered how Nassau and Suffolk Co's can pay their cops so much more than anyone else: more that The City, more than anyone in NJ, the PAPD, Westchester, Rockland, NYS, the FBI! Hasn't anyone on LI asked that, or do the Nassau and Suffolk PBA's keep guns pressed against all of your backs?
    It's an open secret that they essentially bribe the county legislature and other politicians with promises to vote for or against them until they get what they want. Bear in mind that due to their size they hold a big influence over politics ... their votes often make or break an election.

There's also alot of corruption and immoral practices going on but I suppose it happens in every government agency. Now it's not on the scale of like the NYPD back in Serpico's days but it's somewhat common and deeply rooted among the old timers. Remember the Marty Tankleff case from the late 1980s?

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    ^ Yeah, I've always wondered how Nassau and Suffolk Co's can pay their cops so much more than anyone else: more that The City, more than anyone in NJ, the PAPD, Westchester, Rockland, NYS, the FBI! Hasn't anyone on LI asked that, or do the Nassau and Suffolk PBA's keep guns pressed against all of your backs?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    I know it's political suicide due to the power of the PBA and other police unions but it's time to disband both county police departments. They cost too much, and we can get a much higher level of patrol coverage from town and village police departments for the same or less cost. The county sheriff's departments can handle highway patrol, the parks, and the specialized units like aviation, marine, SWAT, etc. In fact the village of Laurel Hollow just opted to end it's contract with the NCPD which assigned .5 patrol car (it was shared with the village of Cove Neck) per shift to the village in favor of contracting with the neighboring Oyster Bay Cove Police Dept. which has promised 1.5 cars per shift at a $1 million less per year.

As for the firefighters, the Long Island volunteer firefighters are the absolute worst, way worse than the NYPD. Im sure you have heard about their antics.
    Last edited by ChrisF1987; 17 Jun 11, 18:44.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Ah yes the NYPD vs FDNY rivalry. Back in the old days the FD used to duke it out with the cops over rescue work at car accidents (the firefighters thought that the NYPD ESU was encroaching on their turf).
    While in high school I made the mistake of doing research at the library on decoration day a couple of times, and both times I got into dust-ups with firemen -- who, while not as arrogant as cops, are infinitely greater drinkers, and way more combative. Quick feet and a waiting subway definitely came in handy.

How will it pay for itself?
    I'd love to see the market research on that one. I mean, hasn't LI commercial real estate been depressed for years?

Well that's the thing ... Nassau County property taxes would go even higher but now that NIFA controls the county's finances perhaps they will make some broad cuts and lower the taxes to a more reasonable level.
    What can Nassau Co cut realistically? The tax base is aging, so if schools are cut, that might make LI less attractive to families, thus jeopardizing the desperately-needed revitalization of the tax base. If transportation is cut, that will render LI less attractive to businesses and residents alike. The only thing left to cut are the cops -- but LI's reigning Archie Bunkers won't take too kindly to being left to the tender mercies of their melanin-enhanced neighbors. What is to be done to save the birthplace of the American suburb?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    If you had wanted to see Micks misbehaving, you should have attended a combo NYPD/FDNY decoration day ceremony at Bryant Park. Suffice to say, it was so bad that the City has since ceased combining the two events: each service gets their own ceremony on their own day. But when it was combined, it was a riot, on par with any Puerto Rican parade.

And not a one of 'em was ever prosecuted.

Part of the problem is that the Isles haven't put too many good teams on the ice in recent years. That hurts, too. That being said, Lawn Guylanders have never supported the Isles like New Yorkers have backed the Rangers, and as Long Island gets swarthier, the question becomes, how will this new development (are they looking to do it in Uniondale again?) pay for itself, and if it can't, doesn't that mean that Nassau Co's taxpayers are on the hook for it?

The other problem is that Long Island, as it's existed for the last 60-plus years, is it's Bob Moses' creation: it's extremely car-reliant. After seeing the Devils' debacle in the swamp, I've come to the belief that car-reliant regions cannot support those kinds of developments. Seeing LI gently decline in recent years, I see no reason to amend my analysis.
    Ah yes the NYPD vs FDNY rivalry. Back in the old days the FD used to duke it out with the cops over rescue work at car accidents (the firefighters thought that the NYPD ESU was encroaching on their turf).

Im not sure if the referendum is going to be a shoe in. Im thinking it's 50/50 at this point. My grandma lives right near where it's planned in Uniondale/Hempstead and she is not in favor. She already has enough trouble dealing with all the Hofstra students who rent houses in the neighborhood. In fact, I now have some doubts since I had lunch at the Chipotle across the street from Nassau Coliseum and I will gruelingly admit that while it will bring jobs and housing the amount of traffic would be a disaster. How will it pay for itself? Well that's the thing ... Nassau County property taxes would go even higher but now that NIFA controls the county's finances perhaps they will make some broad cuts and lower the taxes to a more reasonable level.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Police car covered in thank-you notes this morning.

Leave a comment:

• Centrix Vigilis
    replied
    They did the same thing in '94, when the Rangers beat the Canucks in seven.

And they call us animals.

''Burn the Train''

Doug Mc Clure

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Well I happen to be American of Irish descent so I will admit that perhaps my vision is a bit clouded in regards to such matters
    If you had wanted to see Micks misbehaving, you should have attended a combo NYPD/FDNY decoration day ceremony at Bryant Park. Suffice to say, it was so bad that the City has since ceased combining the two events: each service gets their own ceremony on their own day. But when it was combined, it was a riot, on par with any Puerto Rican parade.

And not a one of 'em was ever prosecuted.

As for the Islanders coliseum, while it is true that their fan base is decreasing (in fact, they can't even fill up their stadium boxes during home games!) it's not so much about the coliseum as it is the whole big mini city that will provide jobs and affordable housing. The NIMBYism and the high taxes are killing us and something must be done.

Also both Long Island counties remain around 70% White. Hispanics are the largest minority group however. Remember, that Long Island remains somewhat "segregated" - I live in a community where 96% of the 30,000 residents are White and that's just one example. Long Island will remain majority White for at least another 15-20 years (as will the nation as a whole).
    Part of the problem is that the Isles haven't put too many good teams on the ice in recent years. That hurts, too. That being said, Lawn Guylanders have never supported the Isles like New Yorkers have backed the Rangers, and as Long Island gets swarthier, the question becomes, how will this new development (are they looking to do it in Uniondale again?) pay for itself, and if it can't, doesn't that mean that Nassau Co's taxpayers are on the hook for it?

The other problem is that Long Island, as it's existed for the last 60-plus years, is it's Bob Moses' creation: it's extremely car-reliant. After seeing the Devils' debacle in the swamp, I've come to the belief that car-reliant regions cannot support those kinds of developments. Seeing LI gently decline in recent years, I see no reason to amend my analysis.
    Last edited by slick_miester; 17 Jun 11, 16:00.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Found this on FB

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...28084840582371

I was so taken aback by the amount of positive spirit in the city today, it inspired me to put together this little project. I grabbed every volunteer I could see and took their portrait. Since seeing international coverage of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final riots, my goal was to showcase the REAL citizens of Vancouver in all their amazing gracefulness. If you know anybody in this album, please feel free to tag them, and hug them!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    I'm not a Nassau Co resident, but if I were, I'd oppose it on the grounds that the people of Long Island have always done a ****-poor job of supporting their team, and that Long Island's demographics are changing: the Caucasians are aging, moving, or dieing, and they're being replaced by Hispanics. I don't see where the Isles' fan base will come from.

You should have been there when they killed that kid with a garbage can to the head, Lexington Ave and 50th Street, St Patrick's Day 1998.

I lived on the Upper East Side, just steps from both parade's northern terminus, for about five years. There are only three reasons why the Puerto Rican or West Indian parades get rowdier than the St Patrick's:

1) the weather is normally far milder in June and August's last/September's first weekend than it is 17 March, thus encouraging more people just to come out;

2) the St Patrick's Day Parade is always held on 17 Mar, no matter what day of the week the 17th falls on, while the Puerto Rican and West Indian parades are always held on Sundays;

3) your cop friends -- especially if they're of Irish background -- are rather disposed to . . . . minimize the misbehavior encountered during the St Pat's, while the nonsense associated with the PR and WI parades doesn't need much embellishment. I've seen St Patty parade goers puking and fighting all the way to the Port Authority and well beyond.

And yes, plenty of Fifth Avenue establishments have boarded up their windows for St Pat's: it would be insane not to. And plenty of people park in the lots, so their windows and light wont' get smashed, their car pissed into. They also drown their sidewalks, in order to wash off all the urine. March usually offers more rain than June, so the Puerto Rican fragrance lasts longer than the Irish -- but that's not 'cause there's more of it.

And interesting that you chose Moses: he's the only Jew who ever believed that he was descended from English royalty. Given his Sephardic background, he'd have been well served to remember that his people were nothing but "swarthy scum that floated here," too -- just like the Puerto Ricans he so callously ridiculed.
    Well I happen to be American of Irish descent so I will admit that perhaps my vision is a bit clouded in regards to such matters

As for the Islanders coliseum, while it is true that their fan base is decreasing (in fact, they can't even fill up their stadium boxes during home games!) it's not so much about the coliseum as it is the whole big mini city that will provide jobs and affordable housing. The NIMBYism and the high taxes are killing us and something must be done.

Also both Long Island counties remain around 70% White. Hispanics are the largest minority group however. Remember, that Long Island remains somewhat "segregated" - I live in a community where 96% of the 30,000 residents are White and that's just one example. Long Island will remain majority White for at least another 15-20 years (as will the nation as a whole).

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/T...518/story.html

An estimated 15,000 people of all ages streamed into the heart of Vancouver as early as 5 a.m. to clean up the bloody footprints, scrub the offensive graffiti, to try to make amends for the damage cause by hooligans and looters after Wednesday night's Stanley Cup loss.
    The first volunteer arrived at 5 a.m. to support Williams and his crew, which had been on scene all night.
    "There was a guy with a bag and a broom saying, 'Where do you need me?"
    Another woman showed up with 40 brooms. Others appeared with Tim Hortons coffee, with muffins and granola bars for all.
    "This is our tornado. This is our tsunami. This is what we will do for our community," said Dani Lemon.
    Crystal Granacher, who works in the shoe department at the Bay, came by to give Andrea Collins, who was scrubbing graffiti in diamond earrings and a ruffled red blouse, a hug.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Last night was a up mess.
    On the good side lots of tips coming into the police. Lots of video and photos turning up everywhere. People walking out of stores with arm's full of stuff right in front of the news cameras. It's like people didn't realise everyone and their dog has a camera-phone. Police have an e-mail people are sending in information to. There's a FaceBook group to help ID rioters. A lot of people ruined their lives last night.
    And on the other good side hundreds of volunteers showed up spontaneously this morning to clean up.

And the boarded up buildings are becoming monuments.

Last edited by Duncan; 16 Jun 11, 19:48.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X