Riots in Vancouver!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riots in Vancouver!

I was dumbstruck when I saw the news this morning. I knew they liked their hockey, but, daaaaammmmmnn:

Riot Photos

Imagine if they had won...
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Larkin View Post
      I was dumbstruck when I saw the news this morning. I knew they liked their hockey, but, daaaaammmmmnn:
      They did the same thing in '94, when the Rangers beat the Canucks in seven.

And they call us animals.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

We havent had a real large scale riot here in NY since the Puerto Rican Day Parade in 2000.

We do have smaller scale civil disturbances every summer though.

Comment

Originally posted by Larkin View Post

Riot Photos
          .OH! THOSE HORRIBLE CANADIANS ARE OUT OF CONTROL AGAIN!! LOL.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
            We havent had a real large scale riot here in NY since the Puerto Rican Day Parade in 2000.
            The Puerto Rican Day Parade IS a riot.

So is the St Patrick's Day Parade, for that matter.

We do have smaller scale civil disturbances every summer though.
            Out on the Island, I can understand that: it's a very disturbing place to live.

Just out of curiosity, will you folks be financing the Islanders' new arena?

Comment

The Puerto Rican Day Parade IS a riot.

So is the St Patrick's Day Parade, for that matter.

Out on the Island, I can understand that: it's a very disturbing place to live.

Just out of curiosity, will you folks be financing the Islanders' new arena?
              Nassau County is holding a referendum on August 1st. Personally I support both the new coliseum and all of Charles Wang's proposed Lighthouse Project complete with the mini city and all.

I have been to two NYC St. Patrick's Day parades and I dident think things were that bad. Were people drunk? Yes. Did people get arrested? Yes. However you dident have entire sections of Manhattan board up their shops and flee to the Hamptons as if an invading army was descending on the city. I have several friends that are NYPD officers and they all state that without a doubt the Puerto Rican Day and the West Indian Day parades always lead to violence and other negative actions on a much, much larger scale than the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Afterall, when was the last time a bunch of drunken Irish people went rampaging through Central Park raping and/or groping women, and attacking & robbing people? Like 1863?

In 2010 we had civil disturbances in Long Beach, NY (as they do every summer including this past Memorial Day Weekend 2 weeks ago), Jones Beach State Park, Robert Moses State Park, and Heckscher State Park. Want to take a guess where the perps came from? Here's a hint, ole Master Builder Robert Moses tried to prevent this.
              Last edited by ChrisF1987; 16 Jun 11, 18:08.

Comment

Nassau County is holding a referendum on August 1st. Personally I support both the new coliseum and all of Charles Wang's proposed Lighthouse Project complete with the mini city and all.
                I'm not a Nassau Co resident, but if I were, I'd oppose it on the grounds that the people of Long Island have always done a ****-poor job of supporting their team, and that Long Island's demographics are changing: the Caucasians are aging, moving, or dieing, and they're being replaced by Hispanics. I don't see where the Isles' fan base will come from.

I have been to two NYC St. Patrick's Day parades and I dident think things were that bad.
                You should have been there when they killed that kid with a garbage can to the head, Lexington Ave and 50th Street, St Patrick's Day 1998.

I lived on the Upper East Side, just steps from both parade's northern terminus, for about five years. There are only three reasons why the Puerto Rican or West Indian parades get rowdier than the St Patrick's:

1) the weather is normally far milder in June and August's last/September's first weekend than it is 17 March, thus encouraging more people just to come out;

2) the St Patrick's Day Parade is always held on 17 Mar, no matter what day of the week the 17th falls on, while the Puerto Rican and West Indian parades are always held on Sundays;

3) your cop friends -- especially if they're of Irish background -- are rather disposed to . . . . minimize the misbehavior encountered during the St Pat's, while the nonsense associated with the PR and WI parades doesn't need much embellishment. I've seen St Patty parade goers puking and fighting all the way to the Port Authority and well beyond.

And yes, plenty of Fifth Avenue establishments have boarded up their windows for St Pat's: it would be insane not to. And plenty of people park in the lots, so their windows and light wont' get smashed, their car pissed into. They also drown their sidewalks, in order to wash off all the urine. March usually offers more rain than June, so the Puerto Rican fragrance lasts longer than the Irish -- but that's not 'cause there's more of it.

And interesting that you chose Moses: he's the only Jew who ever believed that he was descended from English royalty. Given his Sephardic background, he'd have been well served to remember that his people were nothing but "swarthy scum that floated here," too -- just like the Puerto Ricans he so callously ridiculed.

Comment

Last night was a up mess.
                  On the good side lots of tips coming into the police. Lots of video and photos turning up everywhere. People walking out of stores with arm's full of stuff right in front of the news cameras. It's like people didn't realise everyone and their dog has a camera-phone. Police have an e-mail people are sending in information to. There's a FaceBook group to help ID rioters. A lot of people ruined their lives last night.
                  And on the other good side hundreds of volunteers showed up spontaneously this morning to clean up.

And the boarded up buildings are becoming monuments.

Last edited by Duncan; 16 Jun 11, 19:48.
                  AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                  The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/T...518/story.html

An estimated 15,000 people of all ages streamed into the heart of Vancouver as early as 5 a.m. to clean up the bloody footprints, scrub the offensive graffiti, to try to make amends for the damage cause by hooligans and looters after Wednesday night's Stanley Cup loss.
                    The first volunteer arrived at 5 a.m. to support Williams and his crew, which had been on scene all night.
                    "There was a guy with a bag and a broom saying, 'Where do you need me?"
                    Another woman showed up with 40 brooms. Others appeared with Tim Hortons coffee, with muffins and granola bars for all.
                    "This is our tornado. This is our tsunami. This is what we will do for our community," said Dani Lemon.
                    Crystal Granacher, who works in the shoe department at the Bay, came by to give Andrea Collins, who was scrubbing graffiti in diamond earrings and a ruffled red blouse, a hug.

Comment

I'm not a Nassau Co resident, but if I were, I'd oppose it on the grounds that the people of Long Island have always done a ****-poor job of supporting their team, and that Long Island's demographics are changing: the Caucasians are aging, moving, or dieing, and they're being replaced by Hispanics. I don't see where the Isles' fan base will come from.

You should have been there when they killed that kid with a garbage can to the head, Lexington Ave and 50th Street, St Patrick's Day 1998.

I lived on the Upper East Side, just steps from both parade's northern terminus, for about five years. There are only three reasons why the Puerto Rican or West Indian parades get rowdier than the St Patrick's:

1) the weather is normally far milder in June and August's last/September's first weekend than it is 17 March, thus encouraging more people just to come out;

2) the St Patrick's Day Parade is always held on 17 Mar, no matter what day of the week the 17th falls on, while the Puerto Rican and West Indian parades are always held on Sundays;

3) your cop friends -- especially if they're of Irish background -- are rather disposed to . . . . minimize the misbehavior encountered during the St Pat's, while the nonsense associated with the PR and WI parades doesn't need much embellishment. I've seen St Patty parade goers puking and fighting all the way to the Port Authority and well beyond.

And yes, plenty of Fifth Avenue establishments have boarded up their windows for St Pat's: it would be insane not to. And plenty of people park in the lots, so their windows and light wont' get smashed, their car pissed into. They also drown their sidewalks, in order to wash off all the urine. March usually offers more rain than June, so the Puerto Rican fragrance lasts longer than the Irish -- but that's not 'cause there's more of it.

And interesting that you chose Moses: he's the only Jew who ever believed that he was descended from English royalty. Given his Sephardic background, he'd have been well served to remember that his people were nothing but "swarthy scum that floated here," too -- just like the Puerto Ricans he so callously ridiculed.
                      Well I happen to be American of Irish descent so I will admit that perhaps my vision is a bit clouded in regards to such matters

As for the Islanders coliseum, while it is true that their fan base is decreasing (in fact, they can't even fill up their stadium boxes during home games!) it's not so much about the coliseum as it is the whole big mini city that will provide jobs and affordable housing. The NIMBYism and the high taxes are killing us and something must be done.

Also both Long Island counties remain around 70% White. Hispanics are the largest minority group however. Remember, that Long Island remains somewhat "segregated" - I live in a community where 96% of the 30,000 residents are White and that's just one example. Long Island will remain majority White for at least another 15-20 years (as will the nation as a whole).

Comment

Found this on FB

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...28084840582371

I was so taken aback by the amount of positive spirit in the city today, it inspired me to put together this little project. I grabbed every volunteer I could see and took their portrait. Since seeing international coverage of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final riots, my goal was to showcase the REAL citizens of Vancouver in all their amazing gracefulness. If you know anybody in this album, please feel free to tag them, and hug them!

Comment

Well I happen to be American of Irish descent so I will admit that perhaps my vision is a bit clouded in regards to such matters
                          If you had wanted to see Micks misbehaving, you should have attended a combo NYPD/FDNY decoration day ceremony at Bryant Park. Suffice to say, it was so bad that the City has since ceased combining the two events: each service gets their own ceremony on their own day. But when it was combined, it was a riot, on par with any Puerto Rican parade.

And not a one of 'em was ever prosecuted.

As for the Islanders coliseum, while it is true that their fan base is decreasing (in fact, they can't even fill up their stadium boxes during home games!) it's not so much about the coliseum as it is the whole big mini city that will provide jobs and affordable housing. The NIMBYism and the high taxes are killing us and something must be done.

Also both Long Island counties remain around 70% White. Hispanics are the largest minority group however. Remember, that Long Island remains somewhat "segregated" - I live in a community where 96% of the 30,000 residents are White and that's just one example. Long Island will remain majority White for at least another 15-20 years (as will the nation as a whole).
                          Part of the problem is that the Isles haven't put too many good teams on the ice in recent years. That hurts, too. That being said, Lawn Guylanders have never supported the Isles like New Yorkers have backed the Rangers, and as Long Island gets swarthier, the question becomes, how will this new development (are they looking to do it in Uniondale again?) pay for itself, and if it can't, doesn't that mean that Nassau Co's taxpayers are on the hook for it?

The other problem is that Long Island, as it's existed for the last 60-plus years, is it's Bob Moses' creation: it's extremely car-reliant. After seeing the Devils' debacle in the swamp, I've come to the belief that car-reliant regions cannot support those kinds of developments. Seeing LI gently decline in recent years, I see no reason to amend my analysis.
                          Last edited by slick_miester; 17 Jun 11, 16:00.

Comment

''Burn the Train''

Doug Mc Clure

Comment

Police car covered in thank-you notes this morning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X