Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Where should the 2022 World Cup be held?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Where should the 2022 World Cup be held?

It now seems clear that the ridiculously hot and beer bereft country of Qatar won the rights to host 2022 World Cup as a result of bribes.

The English bid team refused to pay bribes. Qatar, it is now clear, did.

What I'm hoping will change is the view of most reporters speaking about this that, in any event, the decision to give the competition to Qatar will not be reversed.

If an Olympic athlete wins a gold medal and is later proven to have taken performance enhancing drugs, that athlete loses the gold medal.

Should be the same here in my view.

Philip

LONDON (AFP) – by Rob Woollard – Tue May 10, 11:32 am ET

FIFA was rocked by new allegations of corruption on Tuesday as the former head of England's 2018 World Cup bid accused senior officials of demanding cash and honours in return for votes.

In an explosive session of a British parliamentary committee, six members of FIFA's graft-tainted executive were accused of involvement in bribery before last year's votes to decide the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts.

British lawmaker Damian Collins said the hearing had received evidence FIFA vice-president Issa Hayatou from Cameroon and Jacques Anouma from the Ivory Coast received bribes of 1.5 million dollars to vote for Qatar's 2022 bid.

In separate testimony, Lord David Triesman, the chairman of England's 2018 bid until his resignation in May last year, accused four FIFA officials of "improper and unethical" behaviour ahead of last December's vote in Zurich.

Triesman revealed that Jack Warner, the influential head of the North and Central American federation CONCACAF, had demanded to be paid directly around £2.5 million (4m dollars) for construction of schools in Trinidad.

Triesman, who had met Warner along with England 2018 deputy chairman Sir Dave Richards, said the request was rejected immediately.

"I said immediately the proposition was out of the question. Sir Dave said 'You must be joking Jack. You're probably talking about f******* £2.5 million.'

In another episode, Triesman revealed that Paraguayan Nicolas Leoz, the head of the South American federation CONMEMBOL, had requested a knighthood during a meeting in Asuncion in November 2009.

"I said it was completely impossible, we didn't operate like that. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away," Triesman said.

The same month, Triesman and English bid members met Brazilian official Ricardo Teixeira on the sidelines of a England-Brazil friendly in Doha.

After remarking to Teixeira that he was happy to have heard positive sentiment about England's bid from former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Teixeira had replied: "Lula is nothing -- you come and tell me what you have for me."

From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110510...2018corruption
    The Competition should be given to the runner up country
    3.57%
    The Selection Process should be held again
    35.71%
    The Competition should still be held in Qatar
    3.57%
    Qatar should be thrown out of FIFA
    21.43%
    Sepp Blatter should be executed and buried at sea
    35.71%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by PhilipLaos; 10 May 11, 16:42.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

from the amount of corruption through out FIFA it looks like it should be the one barred, reformed, or just trashed for a whole new Federation.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I fear nothing will happen , soccer is a very corrupt sport (IMO), I could be wrong but it and I suspect the Olympics is a gravy train for far too many people.
      Cymru am Byth

Comment

We knew this decision was going to be rigged and as soon as this became clear Australia had no chance pretty stupid process if u ask me
        http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

I think it should be foisted upon Laos as a default judgment, such that all potential contenders get the message:

No Bribery Will Be Condoned Or Rewarded!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
            I think it should be foisted upon Laos as a default judgment, such that all potential contenders get the message:

No Bribery Will Be Condoned Or Rewarded!

Good idea!

We have the new stadiums ready and waiting. They were built for the recent Southeast Asia Games.

See you all here in Laos in 2022!

Bring pork pies!

Philip
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Those stadiums are so gorgeous I think I agree. Bring the games to Laos! I am waiting for the athletes to drop from heat exhaustion in Qatar. Don't be the least bit surprised because of the heat,to see some die. I won't. Spectators or athletes.
              This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                Those stadiums are so gorgeous I think I agree. Bring the games to Laos! I am waiting for the athletes to drop from heat exhaustion in Qatar. Don't be the least bit surprised because of the heat,to see some die. I won't. Spectators or athletes.
                If you believe the organisers (feking big if I agree!), the pitches will be air conditioned so the players will be fine.

Now the thousands of fans (some of whom will be women) now they are not going to be used to shall we call it the 'conditions' of both the physical and human geography of the country.
                Cymru am Byth

Comment

Give the Cup to England and the Olympics to Greece. End of debates and corruption. Winter Games can go to Norway or some place that really gives a___________
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

...should definately be held on a football pitch.....there, i said what everyone was privately thinking...

...oh, and agree totally with the option to draw and quarter Sepp Blatter; gets my vote..!

Comment

Seems like only us think Qatar should lose the rights and the selection process should be held again.

It's annoying me a lot. Whatever happens, you can be sure Sepp Blatter will get it wrong.

I still haven't forgiven him for blocking attempts to allow refs to watch video replays.

Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                        Seems like only us think Qatar should lose the rights and the selection process should be held again.

It's annoying me a lot. Whatever happens, you can be sure Sepp Blatter will get it wrong.

I still haven't forgiven him for blocking attempts to allow refs to watch video replays.

Philip
                        Well sorry Philip I have to support good old Sepp on that matter,

Can you point out one incidence in the last world cup when it would have been useful?
                        and don't Frank Lampard whats a metre over the line, marginal!

Can you point any other major sport where it works?

Look how terrible it is in Rugby and cricket!!!

No as a 100% committed lifelong rugby fan I am sure soccer is in safe hand with Sepp.

Next you'll imply that FIFA are less than honest.
                        Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
                          Well sorry Philip I have to support good old Sepp on that matter,

Can you point out one incidence in the last world cup when it would have been useful?
                          and don't Frank Lampard whats a metre over the line, marginal!

Can you point any other major sport where it works?

Look how terrible it is in Rugby and cricket!!!

No as a 100% committed lifelong rugby fan I am sure soccer is in safe hand with Sepp.

Next you'll imply that FIFA are less than honest.
                          You had be going for a minute there, Kevin.....

The computer-assisted replays in tennis are of particular note - they really add a lot to the viewing suspense, and they are so definitive! They would have shut John McEnroe up completely (although I think he was likely more right than the elderly line judges on most occasions given his youth and intensely practiced eye).

Apart from Lampard's goal for England, and the several in this season's EPL that could have been easily determined by video replays, the most upsetting one for me was Thierry Henry's instinctive, but illegal, handball leading to the goal that kept Ireland out of the last World Cup.....

At least A.H. had a right view of the matter.....

Although he blames Henry and the ref whereas, in my view, Hitler should be blaming the football authorities for not allowing video replays. Henry reacted instinctively and the officials didn't see it. The cameras did!.....

Philip

Comment

I agree had a little bit of coverage over here!!! But I couldn’t blame Henry, what did people expect him to do turn around and ‘ say sorry ref, that was hand ball you’d better disallow that Goal?’ (not sure he can do that anyway).

It’s not as if technology has not been embraced by other sports--- cricket is a great example. Rugby does it, now there are arguments over what you can or cannot ask for technology but that would work itself out.

I think the argument that it should be the same game everywhere is utter rubbish---- the game I played down ‘the welfare’ park with school bags as goals posts, no limit (upper or lower) no boundaries, ‘rush’ goalies is nothing like what is played in the Premiership and everyone knows it.

Would also like to see ,as in rugby, a citing commissioner, any foul play, play acting etc results in bans.

Glad I had you going!!
                            Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                              Good idea!

We have the new stadiums ready and waiting. They were built for the recent Southeast Asia Games.

See you all here in Laos in 2022!

Bring pork pies!

Philip

Philip, having stadia already built will mitigate against you and if you have such things as roads and hotels, that will also work against your bid!

England made a big deal in its bid of already having the infrastructure needed to stage the tournament... Big Mistake!

All contracts for building work needed in order to stage the World Cup have to be approved by FIFA. This means even more back handers from contractors going into committee members back pockets. FIFA members voting for countries to stage the World Cup that already are fit to do so would be like turkeys voting for christmas... the greedy corrupt swines!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X