Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the EPL Succumbing to Political Correctness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the EPL Succumbing to Political Correctness?

According to the BBC, the old nickname for Tottenham Hotspur and their fans, the Yids, Yiddos, and the Yid Army, is offensive, and such terms should no longer be spoken at Premiership venues. Even some of Spurs' Jewish fans are taking exception to this bout of squeamishness, at least according to one president of his local synagogue's congregation and die-hard Spurs' fan who appeared on BBC this morning. So is a football fan's heretofore inalienable right to be a wee bit crude going to be curtailed on behalf of political correctness? Are Rangers' supporters no longer to be known as Huns? Can loyal Scots be no longer referred to as the Tartan Army? Shall we cease calling Neapolitans Donkeys? No more Lepers for Newell's Old Boys, and forget about Guarani, right?

May Dennis Potvin Suck forever!
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

If nobody knows about an old offensive nickname, then does anybody care??

Comment

Both Spurs and Liverpool sport gamecocks on their shirts. How long will we have to wait before the animal rights crowd prtests that as a tacit endorsement of animal cruelty?

Comment

They should figure a way to take their cue from Florida State if they want to keep the names.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...approved_x.htm

Comment

They did better than St John's: they went from the Redmen to the Red Storm. They've play more like a yellow-brown streak ever since.

How come Syracuse got to remain the Orangemen, or Notre Dame the Fighting Irish?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            They did better than St John's: they went from the Redmen to the Red Storm. They've play more like a yellow-brown streak ever since.

How come Syracuse got to remain the Orangemen, or Notre Dame the Fighting Irish?
            Syracuse isn't the Orangemen anymore. They are "The Orange." Nicely gender-neutral and no longer derived from the Orange Institution.

As for Notre Dame ... come on. They are Notre Dame. They do what they want, when they want and how they want. And the NCAA says fine.

Comment

I've always found the University of West Virginia rather offensive, too.

Comment

I find the Gators and the Crimson Tide offensive,but that's just me. But yes EVERYONE is becoming too damned politically correct,and it stinks!
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So is a football fan's heretofore inalienable right to be a wee bit crude going to be curtailed on behalf of political correctness?
                  There's a wee bit crude and there's "Spurs are on their way to Auschitz, they're going to gas them again"

Are Rangers' supporters no longer to be known as Huns?
                  Huns is fine, dirty Orange bastards is out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                    There's a wee bit crude and there's "Spurs are on their way to Auschitz, they're going to gas them again"
                    Now I'll concede that the latter is rather crude, even vulgar, yet I find it rather clever -- so what does that say about me?

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                    Huns is fine, dirty Orange bastards is out though.
                    Again, dirty Orange bastards doesn't bother me too much, though I don't think it as witty as the Auschwitz zinger.

The whole spitting on Thierry Henry, was crude, vulgar, disgusting, and probably criminal -- and definitely devoid of any humorous or witty merit -- but that's me. Then again, that was at Bernabeu, wasn't it. Todo el mundo sabe que los merengues son animales. Eso es la pura verdad de Dios.

Or is there to be no longer a distinction between conduct and speech? How long will it take for the distinction between public and private speech to disappear? And then how long will it take for the distinction between spoken and unspoken thought to be deleted?

Comment

Slick,Denis Potvin does suck. If you mean the former Blackhawk.

According to the BBC, the old nickname for Tottenham Hotspur and their fans, the Yids, Yiddos, and the Yid Army, is offensive, and such terms should no longer be spoken at Premiership venues. Even some of Spurs' Jewish fans are taking exception to this bout of squeamishness, at least according to one president of his local synagogue's congregation and die-hard Spurs' fan who appeared on BBC this morning. So is a football fan's heretofore inalienable right to be a wee bit crude going to be curtailed on behalf of political correctness? Are Rangers' supporters no longer to be known as Huns? Can loyal Scots be no longer referred to as the Tartan Army? Shall we cease calling Neapolitans Donkeys? No more Lepers for Newell's Old Boys, and forget about Guarani, right?

May Dennis Potvin Suck forever!

Comment

Excuse me,I meant Islander.

Comment

I watch hockey,and yes I remember that happening. I just forgot the team. Its been a few years on the old noggin.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                            Slick,Denis Potvin does suck. If you mean the former Blackhawk.
                            You're thinking of Felix the goalie, and they're no relation, as far as I know.

Comment

Denis Potvin's brother, Jean, did play in the NHL. Jean was nowhere near as good as his brother though.
                              Last edited by The Ibis; 22 Apr 11, 15:51.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X