World Juniors (Hockey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Juniors (Hockey)

The World Juniors tournament is about to start on Dec 26th. Its in Buffalo NY and the USA is defending champs this year. They beat us last year on our home ice and you know we want to do the same to them this year.

Buffalo is only about an hours drive from here so we'll get a fair number of our fans to the games. If it ends up Canada vs. USA in the final, you just know it's gonna be a barn burner. This could be the best hockey of the year to watch, maybe even better than that marathon known as the Stanley Cup.

So, who plans on watching?

1st I've heard about it, but I'm interested in tuning in. How many nations will be competing?

Comment

Here's the official website cicero.

http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/

I know TSN is covering it up here but I can't seem to identify coverage for your area.

Comment

Go USA!!! BEAT RUSSIA!!

Comment

Da da kan-a-da, nyet nyet sov-i-et

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
          The World Juniors tournament is about to start on Dec 26th. Its in Buffalo NY and the USA is defending champs this year. They beat us last year on our home ice and you know we want to do the same to them this year.

Buffalo is only about an hours drive from here so we'll get a fair number of our fans to the games. If it ends up Canada vs. USA in the final, you just know it's gonna be a barn burner. This could be the best hockey of the year to watch, maybe even better than that marathon known as the Stanley Cup.

So, who plans on watching?
          Best hockey of the year 2011, maybe, but not of 2010 baby!!!

The boys are coming over today for egg nog, popcorn, beer, and to watch Canada beat the Ruskies today on my huge flat screen TV in my den with the wood stove.

I still sing "DA DA KAN-A-DA, NYET NYET SOV-I-ET" even though those pesky Ruskies are no longer Soviets.

Can't wait for the US - Canada final, did you know that last years' World Juniors between US and Canada was the 5th highest rated program in Canada since 1979.

I'm in Fredericton where there's still no snow and the grass is still green

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
            Best hockey of the year 2011, maybe, but not of 2010 baby!!!
            I probably should have said 'this hockey season'. I consider the Olympics last year.

The boys are coming over today for egg nog, popcorn, beer, and to watch Canada beat the Ruskies today on my huge flat screen TV in my den with the wood stove.

I still sing "DA DA KAN-A-DA, NYET NYET SOV-I-ET" even though those pesky Ruskies are no longer Soviets.

Can't wait for the US - Canada final, did you know that last years' World Juniors between US and Canada was the 5th highest rated program in Canada since 1979.

I'm in Fredericton where there's still no snow and the grass is still green
            No real superstars this year but definately strong. Russians had hard time getting us off the puck and looks like we won a fair number of battles in the corners.

Need to get shots on net more often though. Taylot Hall and a couple others should have been released for this tourny.

Comment

I probably should have said 'this hockey season'. I consider the Olympics last year.
              Ya, I knew what you meant, sorry - I just wanted to slide in a comment about the Olympics, which I haven't got over yet.

I have great faith in Roy as goaltender this year, Allen let us down last year. I think he will make the difference - that and I don't think we gave Team USA enough respect. We won't make that mistake this year.

I think you are right about the character of this years team, but you might be surprised too.

Comment

Finally.

Good job Russia !
                There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Unruly Russians tossed from plane

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport.../?from=1859778

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Congratulations to the Russians. Definately one of the more dramatic comeback teams I can remember in hockey...and that includes preliminary rounds where they fell two games behind.

Why did they have their flight booked so soon after the game? No wonder why they were still rambuctious while boarding.

Around here it's crying time in the beer until next year...can't wait!

Comment

Congratulations to the Russians. Definately one of the more dramatic comeback teams I can remember in hockey...and that includes preliminary rounds where they fell two games behind.

Why did they have their flight booked so soon after the game? No wonder why they were still rambuctious while boarding.

Around here it's crying time in the beer until next year...can't wait!
                      I can say I was rather pleasantly surprised by the reaction of the Canadian public and press, or the greatest part of both of them. If it were a game with the Brits - well, maybe you've seen the 2018 Olympics thread
                      www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                        I can say I was rather pleasantly surprised by the reaction of the Canadian public and press, or the greatest part of both of them. If it were a game with the Brits - well, maybe you've seen the 2018 Olympics thread
                        I'd like to add my congratulations. The Canadian announcers said that the game was shown on the main Russian channel. Must have been very early -did you happen to watch it?

I was in grade 5 when the 1972 summit series was on, Canada vs Russia. They brought TV's into our classroom and when Henderson scored the roof came off the building. Canada vs Russia at hockey is our best and most cherished ancient rivalry. Can't wait to see a Canada - Russia showdown in SUCHI.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                          I'd like to add my congratulations. The Canadian announcers said that the game was shown on the main Russian channel. Must have been very early -did you happen to watch it?
                          Thank you! I just saw it in the Internet.

I was in grade 5 when the 1972 summit series was on, Canada vs Russia. They brought TV's into our classroom and when Henderson scored the roof came off the building. Canada vs Russia at hockey is our best and most cherished ancient rivalry. Can't wait to see a Canada - Russia showdown in SUCHI.
                          I've only heard about these games, but they were pretty big here too - everybody was glued to TVs when they watched our boys playing against the "vaunted Canadian professionals". Contrary to the Western stereotype that everything about the West was presented in the Soviet Union exclusively in terms of dumbed-down Marxist theory ("them capitalists-imperialists"), it was seen as a contest between "spirited enthusiastic amateurs" vs "greedy sellout professionals" of ovehyped importance and skill (a-la David Beckham). Of course, the Soviet players lived the lives of sports professionals, but this has never been in the spotlight of the Soviet media I felt rather funny when I found out that the Canadian view was much more ideologically charged than the Soviet one

I remember a humorous song about dominoes game addicts which had a line: "And even a USSR-Canada match won't make us stop playing our dominoes" which was meant to be a sign of ultimate nerdiness
                          www.histours.ru

Comment

I was happy to see the players from SKA-1946 played well.
                            Кто там?
                            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                              Thank you! I just saw it in the Internet.

I've only heard about these games, but they were pretty big here too - everybody was glued to TVs when they watched our boys playing against the "vaunted Canadian professionals". Contrary to the Western stereotype that everything about the West was presented in the Soviet Union exclusively in terms of dumbed-down Marxist theory ("them capitalists-imperialists"), it was seen as a contest between "spirited enthusiastic amateurs" vs "greedy sellout professionals" of ovehyped importance and skill (a-la David Beckham). Of course, the Soviet players lived the lives of sports professionals, but this has never been in the spotlight of the Soviet media I felt rather funny when I found out that the Canadian view was much more ideologically charged than the Soviet one

I remember a humorous song about dominoes game addicts which had a line: "And even a USSR-Canada match won't make us stop playing our dominoes" which was meant to be a sign of ultimate nerdiness
                              Thanks I enjoyed your post, I found your dominoes story humerous.

I never thought about the way we looked at the games as being idealogical, but of course you're right, we did view them that way. It was played as us good guys over evil Communism. The 72 series was deep in the cold war days and we perceived the Russians as being like unemotional robots and our players as running on emotion.

Yesterday's game seemed like the tables were turned and it was you guys that played with the emotion - there is much talk of that here today. Your young guys really belted out your national anthem last night.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X