College Football 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Buckeyes racked up 73 on E. Michigan. Not classy IMHO. A throwback pass to Pryor for a TD when the score was already 45-20. Not something Coach Tressel usually does. Of course the last 21 points were scored by the 2nd and 3rd teams, so I have no problem with that. Still though, why show the throwback pass against a team that has no chance to beat you? They should've saved that for Wisconsin in a few weeks.

Next up is Illinois and the Buckeyes just might throw up 60 or so on them as well. After that, Indiana. Another blowout if OSU plays how they're capable of playing. Then Wisconsin at Wisconsin. Camp Randall has been the scene of many a horror show for the Buckeyes, so that will be a true test.

O - H -
    Well the bad kharma of putting up 70 on inferior competition shouldn't haunt you against Wisconsin. They just did the same thing to Austin Peay. Actually, I'm ok with it. What was Tressel supposed to say to his backups, "don't play hard or try and win a job down the line?"

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
      Well the bad kharma of putting up 70 on inferior competition shouldn't haunt you against Wisconsin. They just did the same thing to Austin Peay. Actually, I'm ok with it. What was Tressel supposed to say to his backups, "don't play hard or try and win a job down the line?"
      You misunderstood. I said I had no problem with the backups scoring 21 more points. It was the fact that OSU still had their 1st team in with the score 45-20 and ran a trick play to make it 52-20. EMU was not going to win that game, nor make it any closer than 45-20. It was over. What would've happened had Pryor got hurt going out for a pass with that score? Or any other 1st teamer for that matter? That stuff has hurt OSU before. A couple of years ago, while playing in a meaningless game against YSU, and the game safely in hand, Beanie Wells, a very good running back, gets hurt and misses the next week's game. Guess which game that was? USC! OSU gets thumped 35-3 without Wells. I'm not saying that Wells all by himself would've won the game, but it might have been a little different with him in there. OSU wouldn't have had to completely change their game plan and Wells was the type of back that gave USC problems. Big, strong, fast, and physical going up the middle. Speed doesn't matter when you run right at it. That's my problem with the Pryor TD reception. Wasn't needed and very risky.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Ah, yes...the slippery slope of when to call off the dogs. I personally was not to thrilled with Wisconsin dropping 70 - but in a small defense - we don't get to do that often. I agree that keeping the first team in too long in those games are not called for. Give the backups some time and see what you got for the future. All that said, we can all now focus on our conference games coming up and I doubt anybody will be scoring above 40 in most of those games. Conference games are the real season anyway.
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
          Ah, yes...the slippery slope of when to call off the dogs. I personally was not to thrilled with Wisconsin dropping 70 - but in a small defense - we don't get to do that often. I agree that keeping the first team in too long in those games are not called for. Give the backups some time and see what you got for the future. All that said, we can all now focus on our conference games coming up and I doubt anybody will be scoring above 40 in most of those games. Conference games are the real season anyway.
          If Bucky drops 70 on Michigan, I'd applaud (I bet Bob would too). Do you guys play them this year?

Comment

Michigan @ Ohio St is the last game on their schedule. Although Michigan deffense isn't impressive, I do have a lot of doubts that they'll ever allow that many points to be scored.
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

If Bucky drops 70 on Michigan, I'd applaud (I bet Bob would too). Do you guys play them this year?
              That depends on how the 70 is scored. Two years ago OSU beated the hated Wolvies 42-7. Now that was an ass kicking! Didn't run it up but there was no doubt who imposed their will. That's about my perfect score for any team I'm rooting for. 42-7 lets everyone know you dominated and at the same time did not run up the score. 70 points would be nothing but bulletin board fodder for the next year.

Now if the game turned into a track meet and it was something like 70-56 or some ungodly thing like that, then 70 is okay. But that's hard to do in Michigan or Ohio in late November.

And yes, Ohio State plays Michigan this year. Every year it's the last game for both schools. Except one year Michigan had a December date with Hawaii, other than that, it's been them two in the last game for longer than I've been alive. And way before that.
              Last edited by R. Evans; 29 Sep 10, 07:04.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                That depends on how the 70 is scored. Two years ago OSU beated the hated Wolvies 42-7. Now that was an ass kicking! Didn't run it up but there was no doubt who imposed their will. That's about my perfect score for any team I'm rooting for. 42-7 lets everyone know you dominated and at the same time did not run up the score. 70 points would be nothing but bulletin board fodder for the next year.

Now if the game turned into a track meet and it was something like 70-56 or some ungodly thing like that, then 70 is okay. But that's hard to do in Michigan or Ohio in late November.

And yes, Ohio State plays Michigan this year. Every year it's the last game for both schools. Except one year Michigan had a December date with Hawaii, other than that, it's been them two in the last game for longer than I've been alive. And way before that.

I don't believe there is such a thing as running up the score. You've got fans who paid good money to see the game. They (well me when I've paid) expect you to try. And while in relation to your prior post (how's that for Nick Saban speak) its probably a good idea to pull your starters, and then even their backups, if the opposition can't stop your third string, then too bad. That said, I've got no problem with taking a knee to let the game expire without adding on at the end. But if its 56-3 in the beginning of the 4th quarter, I expect a team to run its offense.

Comment

Yeah, at their place in late November. If things go our way, that game woulld be the last big obstacle for a Big 10 title.
                  "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                  -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

I would much rather put in my subs to avoid injury to my stars... than run up the score. If the subs run up the score... then that is just the way it goes.
                    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                      Yeah, at their place in late November. If things go our way, that game woulld be the last big obstacle for a Big 10 title.
                      That should be a fun one. Assuming Robinson stays healthy, he'll be tough to defend. But I doubt they can defend Bucky's hydra-headed running attack either. Plus, your receivers are an impressive bunch. Speaking of your running game, I know Bielema likes the pro set, but with that crew, the triple option would be scary!

Comment

• College was as unkind to me as the NFL the past week, Pitt, WVU and THE ROCK!all take the choke!
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                          I would much rather put in my subs to avoid injury to my stars... than run up the score. If the subs run up the score... then that is just the way it goes.
                          Boiled down to one sentence what I've been rambling on about for a couple of posts. Well done Greg! Rep incoming.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                            I just don't understand why teams even still do this. Style points seem to be a lot less important than strength of schedule in the BCS era. Look at what happened to Oklahoma and Texas last year. Both kept their starters in in blow out games and both wound up getting burned by having to play back-ups with little experience.

I also want to give a tip of the hat to something I saw Wake do in the game against Stanford. Latter in the game when it was obvious Wake was way outclassed, they put in THEIR back-ups and got them some experience. Keeping the 1st string in may have closed the margin slightly but I think Wake got much more benefit from playing its subs against a superior opponent, than just changing the final numbers.

Comment

• I'm morning for the Cougars. 1-4!! This won't be a Bowl season.
                              All warfare is based on deception.
                              Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                                I'm morning for the Cougars. 1-4!! This won't be a Bowl season.
                                They did look bad last night.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X