No announcement yet.

College Football 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking forward for the BCS Championship game. After watching some very interesting bowl games so far, I can't wait to see #1 and #2 going out at each other.
    I know there's a "curse" on QBs that win the Heisman, but I think this year, Cam Newton will keep his game at top level.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• SI is reporting Andrew Luck is staying in school for his senior season.
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?eref=BrkNews

This kid was going to be the number 1 player in the draft. If he wants to play in the NFL, IMO, he got some really bad advice, or at least chose not to follow the good advice to go pro. There are no guarantees he will hold his high position in the draft. There are no guarantees he won't get hurt. His coach might well be on the way to the NFL. The risk doesn't seem to be worth the possible gain. Just ask Matt Leinart.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
        SI is reporting Andrew Luck is staying in school for his senior season.
        http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?eref=BrkNews

This kid was going to be the number 1 player in the draft. If he wants to play in the NFL, IMO, he got some really bad advice, or at least chose not to follow the good advice to go pro. There are no guarantees he will hold his high position in the draft. There are no guarantees he won't get hurt. His coach might well be on the way to the NFL. The risk doesn't seem to be worth the possible gain. Just ask Matt Leinart.
        Well, we are talking about a kid who's at Stanford, so stupidity is not a factor. Maybe he likes college and he says he wants to get his degree. And don't put it past Harbaugh to stay another year at Stanford just to coach him again. I wonder what degree he's going for?
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
          Well, we are talking about a kid who's at Stanford, so stupidity is not a factor. Maybe he likes college and he says he wants to get his degree. And don't put it past Harbaugh to stay another year at Stanford just to coach him again. I wonder what degree he's going for?
          He could like school a whole lot more if he went back after an NFL career with millions and millions in his pocket.

I think I heard architecture.

Comment

He could like school a whole lot more if he went back after an NFL career with millions and millions in his pocket.

I think I heard architecture.
            Yes, architecture.
            Money not really an isssue with his family.

Maybe he just hates the Panthers . They are getting on my nerves too lately.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

According to Pro Football Talk, that advice came from Peyton Manning, who seems like a pretty good authority on the subject. Sure he could get hurt playing for Stanford, but he could also get hurt on Day 1 of the Panthers' training camp. I totally respect a guy who wants to finish his degree and actually thinks the point of college is to get an education rather than as a stepping stone to the NFL. I think that speaks to your comment about risk vs. gain. Maybe in terms of the money he could get right now, but the man wants his degree from Stanford. Also, Bradford got hurt before the draft, and he had no trouble finding employment. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens though...
              Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Does anyone else think this Harbaugh thing is totally ridiculous? Paying an unproven coach 7-8 mil PER YEAR?! Come on!
                Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Originally posted by Legatus Augusti View Post
                  According to Pro Football Talk, that advice came from Peyton Manning, who seems like a pretty good authority on the subject. Sure he could get hurt playing for Stanford, but he could also get hurt on Day 1 of the Panthers' training camp.
                  Sorry LA, but I disagree. Manning is precisely the wrong person to look at. For all the first round Payton Mannings, there are a lot more Alex Smiths, Jamarcus Russells, Tim Couches, Ryan Leafs, Akili Smiths etc.

As for getting hurt, there is a huge difference between getting hurt at Stanford vs getting hurt on day 1 at training camp. In the latter situation, you've already been guaranteed a ton of money. In the former situation, you will (potentially - if not always) lose a ton of money since no NFL team owed you anything. For every Bradford, there is a Dan Marino.

I totally respect a guy who wants to finish his degree and actually thinks the point of college is to get an education rather than as a stepping stone to the NFL.
                  But if the point of going to college is to get an education so you can get a job - well he's already got as much education as he needs to get the best possible job in his presumed-to-be chosen field, professional football. All he's doing now is putting that at risk - with very, very little upside. Its not like Stanford will be winning a championship.

I think that speaks to your comment about risk vs. gain. Maybe in terms of the money he could get right now, but the man wants his degree from Stanford.
                  He can finish his degree and get 10 more when he finishes playing football.

Also, Bradford got hurt before the draft, and he had no trouble finding employment.
                  Absolutely true. But Dan Marino reputedly had a knee injury. And he fell all the way to my Dolphins at the 27th pick (and I'm mighty happy that occurred). Willis McGahee was a top 5 pick until he blew out his knee. Its a very violent game. There is a massive risk to Luck's safety every single time he takes a snap from center (aside from kneel downs anyway).

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens though...
                  Indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legatus Augusti View Post
                    Does anyone else think this Harbaugh thing is totally ridiculous? Paying an unproven coach 7-8 mil PER YEAR?! Come on!
                    Yes. Its absurd. I'm glad Miami backed off (or Harbaugh said no to whatever Miami offered).

Comment

• Personally, I think every player should finish college. No one should be allowed to go Pro before he finished his academics and sure they should really go to classes and do some learning in the process.
                      I know I won't have too many people jumping on my wagon, as this days that we live in are driven by money, but whenever a player goes pro before finishing schooll, he's just making cristal clear that money is more important than an education. This is just not right. Wish brings me to the next question, how are we ok that professional sportsmen get payed millions and we're ok that people go without food and housing just around our corner. Are we ok? What kind of legacy are we leaving??
                      Is it ok that a guy gets more money to kick a soccer ball around than a Doctor that saves lives? Are we really ok with this?
                      Just to light the mood a bit, I do enjoy sports and college football is right at the top. Still looking forward for tonight's game, just wanted to make public some of my frustrations. Sorry y'all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                        Personally, I think every player should finish college. No one should be allowed to go Pro before he finished his academics and sure they should really go to classes and do some learning in the process.
                        I know I won't have too many people jumping on my wagon, as this days that we live in are driven by money, but whenever a player goes pro before finishing schooll, he's just making cristal clear that money is more important than an education. This is just not right. Wish brings me to the next question, how are we ok that professional sportsmen get payed millions and we're ok that people go without food and housing just around our corner. Are we ok? What kind of legacy are we leaving??
                        Is it ok that a guy gets more money to kick a soccer ball around than a Doctor that saves lives? Are we really ok with this?
                        Just to light the mood a bit, I do enjoy sports and college football is right at the top. Still looking forward for tonight's game, just wanted to make public some of my frustrations. Sorry y'all.
                        Well now, this will open a huge can of worms.

And I do agree with you Luis. These kids should be in college at least 4 years prior to playing pro ball. It would make the college game better and the pro game as will imo. But, and it's a big but, how can we tell some dirt poor kid that he can't take his skills to the NFL, NBA,..etc., and earn millions of dollars to feed, house and clothe his family?

And NO! it shouldn't be okay that players get millions to hit, kick or catch a stinking ball while people go without food, clothing, or shelter. To that I would also add actors, coporate bigwigs, almost anybody who earns more than they can possibly need or spend in a lifetime. But this is veering into a Politics Central type question and answer and do we really want that kind of heat here in the Sports forum?

I'll leave it to the next poster to answer that last question.

Comment

• The SEC does it again.

Congrats to Auburn. That was a great last drive with little time left.

I wonder though, how many people lost money betting the over on the points. 41 total points is far less than everyone thought would be scored. It was an entertaining game.

Comment

But, and it's a big but, how can we tell some dirt poor kid that he can't take his skills to the NFL, NBA,..etc., and earn millions of dollars to feed, house and clothe his family?
                            With the current situation, I see what you mean and I never though about this side of the question.

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            And NO! it shouldn't be okay that players get millions to hit, kick or catch a stinking ball while people go without food, clothing, or shelter. To that I would also add actors, coporate bigwigs, almost anybody who earns more than they can possibly need or spend in a lifetime. But this is veering into a Politics Central type question and answer and do we really want that kind of heat here in the Sports forum?

I'll leave it to the next poster to answer that last question.
                            No, we do not need that kind of fuel here in the sports forum.

As for the game, well done Tigers. And I did expect a lot more from this game... I wanted a 52-49 score... Ducks scoring only 19 wasn't enough for me.

Comment

The SEC does it again.

Congrats to Auburn. That was a great last drive with little time left.

I wonder though, how many people lost money betting the over on the points. 41 total points is far less than everyone thought would be scored. It was an entertaining game.

Yes, I thought it was going to be like the Texas-USC game a couple of years ago which was a shootout. I was really expecting a high scoring game, but I did think it would come down to who had the ball last.

Comment

• Had a great trip. Attending the game was a once in a lifetime experience. Auburn won because they controlled the offensive and defensive lines. Cam Newton had an average game. He missed 3 passes that would have been TDs. In contrast, Oregon hit their open pass receivers in scoring situations.

Still, Oregon which relies on the running game only got 75 yards.

The stadium was 60%+ Auburn fans. The Auburn people care more about football even though the game was at the opposite end of the country. Auburn was close to a home field advantage.

Got back to Auburn at 5:00am this morning. Flight delays on the East Coast of the US were pretty bad.

Wife had a great time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X