Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
    Ibis my comments about coaches and Miami wasn't about great coaches, it is about how the University of Miami has treated coaches.
    Well how has Miami treated coaches? Howard left for the pros (USFL) after winning a title. As did Jimmy (and to the extent Jimmy was mistreated, which I would contend he wasn't, he nonetheless made his own bed with the Fiesta Bowl in 86). Dennis wasn't treated particularly well I will concede. However, Dennis' teams embarrased the administration over and over and over. And then there were the academic scandals. So I don't know how he would fit into you're point. Then there's Butch. Of course, Butch did Miami wrong, not the other way around.

    So that leaves Coker and Shannon. As to Coker, he was a nice guy but not a head coach. The team regressed every year under his tenure. He got two extra years after many wanted him gone. And Shannon - well my comments are above and echo those of Staples.

    Simply put Miami has a fan base with some high expectations (I see many online much higher than yours), a poor track record as far as taking care of coaches, less than the best facilities, and lots of competition for recruits.
    High expectations, sure. I have those expectations too, but I'm a bit more jaded than my fellow Canes fans. As for the coaches, see above. But convince me otherwise. My memory can be hazy.

    As for facilities: Miami's facilities have always been worse than other places. It used to be a badge of honor (listen to people like Dwayne Johnson describe them, with disparagement but pride). And lets not forget all the NFL players who train down here every summer in those same facilities, even though those players have the best the NFL has to offer. And as to competition, I'll quote Ric Flair: If you want to be the man, you've got to beat the man! Whoooo!

    Yes Howard was able to build the U from nothing, but he could sell the local players on staying local and getting the TV time with scheduling. Butch was able to point to what Howard and Jimmy did. I just think that now with practically everyone's games on TV of some flavor it is harder to recruit the depth needed for those dynasty type teams. Especially in the state of Florida where there is so much competition.
    Its a different world to be sure. Miami still has advantages. It needs to capitalize on them. For example, FIU might get on ESPNU and South Florida might play on ESPN360. But a good Miami team gets Thursday night primetime and gets the ratings.

    I really think Miami should have given Shannon one more year, the win-loss record was going up. While the bowl and conference championships had not came yet they may have been on the way.
    It was going up until this year, when it slid back. There was no guarantee it was going to improve next year. Indeed, given Miami's best players will be gone (Bailey, Hankerson, Harris to name 3), its not likely Miami would significantly improve. Then add into the mix that Miami's top competition are on the rise again (especially FSU), and the move makes sense to me.

    Look, I hate it that the Canes had to let go one of their own. I wish Shannon succeeded. But he didn't. And Miami can't afford to be patient. Football is the revenue sport. Mediocre teams mean no money.

    Comment


    • If I recall correctly Howard and Johnson did not get the money they wanted and went to the pros.

      As far as the facilities that is more about attracting coaches and players.

      Ratings mean revenue and exposure to fans. NFL scouts and agents will be seeing those games on the lesser networks. Again I think a guy would rather start somewhere and be on ESPNU than warming the Miami bench on Thursday night.

      I also think you Hurricane fans put way to much stock in Harris. The guy is an interception machine to me.

      I just think Miami may have been hasty. Nebraska ran off Osborne's picked successor. That turned out to be a major fiasco to point the AD had to be fired so the coach could be fired. (This guy really needed to go as he had ashcanned most if not all the Nebraska traditions). Alabama had a revolving door on the coaches office a few years ago and was getting progressively worse for it. Honestly Saban has done an unbelievable job of turning things around.

      But was is done is done. Hopefully Miami will turn up a head coach that works.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
        I also think you Hurricane fans put way to much stock in Harris. The guy is an interception machine to me.

        But was is done is done. Hopefully Miami will turn up a head coach that works.
        I was referring to Brandon Harris, the db. He's a very good one. Should have put an initial above. We're getting J. Harris and his picks back for another season I'd assume. And we don't put that much stock into him at all AFAIK.
        Last edited by The Ibis; 29 Nov 10, 10:09.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
          Oh and I forgot to mention a little observation that will put the Iron Bowl into perspective for our members.

          Friday I had to run back over to my house to shower and feed my girlfriends dogs. I got a latter start than I wanted to and ended up having to drive back during the 1st quarter. It is between 15 to 20 miles over to my place and I have to drive for a couple of short stretches on two fairly well traveled state highways. Going over there was the normal amount of traffic, say about 20 cars. Coming back I saw only 2 other cars on the road! It has been a few years since I have been away from a TV during the Iron Bowl, and those were short beer runs to local stores. (Naturally the stores had TVS set up for the game) I had forgotten how completely this state shuts down for that game. I am serious, when I was driving back, I saw 2 cars and NO-ONE outside in their yards or anything. Now if that isn't a sure nuff rivalry I don't know what is.
          I know how you feel. Every Sunday in Green Bay (whether the Packers are home or not) the entire city is quiet and almost a ghost town. I swear when Rodgers throws an interception you can hear 100,000 moan at once!
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

          Comment


          • TCU to the Big East

            http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/201...usspor00000002

            Comment


            • Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
              Must have got their boosters to up their football only donations because that travel budget is going to be a killer. I would guess the AD's of the northern schools in the conference aren't too thrilled as they now will have to up the football budget so UConn can fly to Texas to play a game!
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                Must have got their boosters to up their football only donations because that travel budget is going to be a killer. I would guess the AD's of the northern schools in the conference aren't too thrilled as they now will have to up the football budget so UConn can fly to Texas to play a game!
                Fair enough. I wonder how long Texas Christian can stay on this roll.

                Comment


                • My guess is they can dominate the B. East. They chose the right conference to move to - the 'easiest of the A.Q.' I think TCU and their offense will pose great problems for the B. East - at least until they start to recruit speed as well.
                  "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                  -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

                  Comment


                  • Auburn vs South Carolina

                    Auburn will be favored going into the SEC Championship game vs South Carolina.

                    Except for the first half of the Alabama game where half of the defensive line was on the bench, nobody has been able to run the ball against Auburn all year. SC relies mostly on their ground game - and they got less than 75 yards in the first matchup.

                    The SC game was also the last game where Auburn's offense had turnover problems.

                    South Carolina was unable to stop Auburn's rushing attack.

                    Since the 4th game of the season, the only way Auburn's rush has been stopped is by putting 8 men in the box. When that has been done, AU has beaten teams in the air.

                    One additional thing helping Auburn. The game will be played in the Georgia Dome. Weather will not be a factor. Auburn's rushing attack should benefit.

                    By no means do I think the game is a sure thing. But Auburn has not been able to play for a national title in 50 years. They will be psyched up to play well. AU probably has the best offensive line in College football. Their defensive line has stopped the run. It is hard to beat AU by outscoring them.

                    Comment


                    • Auburn has also been extremely lucky and that helps. With all their 4th quarter comebacks this year they remind me of the 2002 Ohio State national championship team. Lots of wins in the 2nd half and lots of close games. That team was also extremely lucky.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                        Auburn has also been extremely lucky and that helps. With all their 4th quarter comebacks this year they remind me of the 2002 Ohio State national championship team. Lots of wins in the 2nd half and lots of close games. That team was also extremely lucky.
                        No doubt that Auburn has had some luck. But a big part of their 4th quarter performance are excellent offensive and defensive lines. If you look at the tape - AU has just worn people out in the trenches by the 4th quarter.

                        Almost every college team that wins the national championship has had at least one really lucky game. AU has had a large number of come from behind wins. Hopefully they will show up for all 4 quarters in their last 2 games.

                        Comment


                        • And how about my Big 10? Started off with Illinois and Iowa winning their bowl games and looking good while doing it. New Years' Day rolls around and the Big 10 has 5 teams in action. What happens? All 5 lose and 2 of them in resounding fashion. What a horror show! So let's thank the Michigan schools for barely showing up and folding like cheap suits when they got hit. Michigan Wolverines especially. This is the 3rd game in a row where they just flat out quit. So long Rich Rod, been nice kicking your a$$ but I doubt that the Michigan faithful want another year of your pi$$-poor football teams.

                          I kind of figured that Alabama would thump Mich. State but I didn't think the score would be 49-7. More like 35-20 or something like that. Another team of quitters.

                          Wisconsin? Way to run it up during the regular season on hapless foes and then when you play a team that fights back, you also fold up like a cheap suit.

                          Penn State? No gripes here. Played a decent game except for the turnovers and were driving for a go ahead score when another INT did them in. Entertaining game though and it really could've gone Penn St.'s way.

                          Northwestern? Again no gripes. Came back from a huge hole and almost got a win against a team with a far better record. Nice try and I'd be willing to bet the outcome would've been different had the Wildcats had their regular QB healty and able to play in the game. Dan Persa was/is a huge part of their offense. Plus Pat Fitzgerald just might be the best coach in the college game working today. He gets Northwestern to a bowl game just about every year, has a competitive team and does all this with very stringent school standards that handicap his recruiting compared to other schools. Vanderbilt wishes they could pull off 7-5 or 8-4 every year.

                          Which bring us to my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes. Way to go guys! A major scandal prior to a BCS bowl game. Nice timing. Be glad the Sugar Bowl really wanted the Greedy 5 to play otherwise this game would go about the way Alabama-MSU did. It might anyway. OSU is winless against SEC teams in bowl games and, although I hope it changes tonight, I can't see it happening with all these distractions going on. Prediction: Arkansas 31 Ohio State 16 (why 16 for OSU? because Tressel loves the FG so much that the Buckeyes will attempt 4 and make 3)
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            And how about my Big 10? Started off with Illinois and Iowa winning their bowl games and looking good while doing it. New Years' Day rolls around and the Big 10 has 5 teams in action. What happens? All 5 lose and 2 of them in resounding fashion. What a horror show! So let's thank the Michigan schools for barely showing up and folding like cheap suits when they got hit. Michigan Wolverines especially. This is the 3rd game in a row where they just flat out quit. So long Rich Rod, been nice kicking your a$$ but I doubt that the Michigan faithful want another year of your pi$$-poor football teams.

                            I kind of figured that Alabama would thump Mich. State but I didn't think the score would be 49-7. More like 35-20 or something like that. Another team of quitters.

                            Wisconsin? Way to run it up during the regular season on hapless foes and then when you play a team that fights back, you also fold up like a cheap suit.

                            Penn State? No gripes here. Played a decent game except for the turnovers and were driving for a go ahead score when another INT did them in. Entertaining game though and it really could've gone Penn St.'s way.

                            Northwestern? Again no gripes. Came back from a huge hole and almost got a win against a team with a far better record. Nice try and I'd be willing to bet the outcome would've been different had the Wildcats had their regular QB healty and able to play in the game. Dan Persa was/is a huge part of their offense. Plus Pat Fitzgerald just might be the best coach in the college game working today. He gets Northwestern to a bowl game just about every year, has a competitive team and does all this with very stringent school standards that handicap his recruiting compared to other schools. Vanderbilt wishes they could pull off 7-5 or 8-4 every year.

                            Which bring us to my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes. Way to go guys! A major scandal prior to a BCS bowl game. Nice timing. Be glad the Sugar Bowl really wanted the Greedy 5 to play otherwise this game would go about the way Alabama-MSU did. It might anyway. OSU is winless against SEC teams in bowl games and, although I hope it changes tonight, I can't see it happening with all these distractions going on. Prediction: Arkansas 31 Ohio State 16 (why 16 for OSU? because Tressel loves the FG so much that the Buckeyes will attempt 4 and make 3)
                            Go Hogs Go!!!!!!


                            Woooo Pig Sooie,Razorbacks



                            Beat Ohio State.
                            If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                              Go Hogs Go!!!!!!


                              Woooo Pig Sooie,Razorbacks



                              Beat Ohio State.
                              Smarty-pants!
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                                Smarty-pants!
                                Just a loyal Hog fan.

                                I'm originally from Arkansas,been living in NM for nearly 15 yrs.


                                Win,Lose or Tie

                                Razorback Fan Till I Die
                                If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X