Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
    Nevada wins in OT.
    Wouldn't want to trade places with Brotzman right now.
    One Strikeout is a tragedy, a million Strikeouts are a statistic.
    - "Stallin' Joe" Dshugashvili, Manager of the Moscow Red Stars 1922 - 1953

Comment

• Originally posted by Syt View Post
      Wouldn't want to trade places with Brotzman right now.
      My oldest son and I were watching the game, and I told my son that psychologically Boise State's kicker wasn't there. He was still shell shocked after missing the kick at the end of regulation. I feel bad for him.
      Nevada played tough in the 2nd half and didn't quit.

Comment

• Well, after missing the first (theoretically easy) kick it can make sense to push him back in so that he can redeem himself and gain self confidence again.

However, it sure looked like he had serious jitters on the second attempt, and he probably overcompensated the right side drift his first kick had so that it went off to the left.

Still, great showing by Nevada.
        One Strikeout is a tragedy, a million Strikeouts are a statistic.
        - "Stallin' Joe" Dshugashvili, Manager of the Moscow Red Stars 1922 - 1953

Comment

• Originally posted by Syt View Post

Still, great showing by Nevada.
          I agree. Their qb played great. After the way their defense did a horrible job trying to tackle the Boise State player to allow Boise State to go up 31-24, the Nevada qb did a great job driving them down the field and throwing the game tying td.
          I don't think Auburn or Oregon will lose next week, but anything can happen. To me I think Auburn and Oregon will playing for the National Championship. Here is one thing that could hurt Auburn. Guys who win the Heisman usually don't have good bowl games and since they don't have good games their teams usually lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
            I agree. Their qb played great. After the way their defense did a horrible job trying to tackle the Boise State player to allow Boise State to go up 31-24, the Nevada qb did a great job driving them down the field and throwing the game tying td.
            I don't think Auburn or Oregon will lose next week, but anything can happen. To me I think Auburn and Oregon will playing for the National Championship. Here is one thing that could hurt Auburn. Guys who win the Heisman usually don't have good bowl games and since they don't have good games their teams usually lose.
            Yeah, I think it will be Auburn/Oregon too. Although it would not surprise me if Oregon State upsets Oregon. It's at OSU and this is usually a very close game. Same goes for South Carolina/Auburn, wouldn't surprise me at all if SC won that one too. They're a hard team to figure out, look great one week and so-so the next.

Too bad TCU gets left out of the title picture in that scenario but at least we can put the whole Boise State thing to bed. They'll drop a long way down the rankings and won't even get a BCS bid now let alone a National Championship shot. Good! Get a green field Boise!
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• I agree that IMO it will be Oregon vs. Auburn. I would LOVE for South Carolina to beat Auburn, but unless their running back (the freshman - whose name escapes me now) carries the ball 35+ times and gains around 150+ yds I don't see them winning.

We will see now how good Boise really is - it is the sole job of the head coach now to keep the team focused and motivated for their bowl game (his assistants will do the actual coaching of the groups). If they come out and put a serious smack down on the other team I will give them big time props for staying focused and finishing the season the right way. If they come out and play like they are 'too good' to be at the "Insert minor bowl name here", I will see them as pretenders and will lose a ton of respect for their coach/program. Keep your head screwed on tight and finish your job...
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Congrats to OSU and MSU and Wisc. for winning a title this year. I know for us it is the first title/share of the title since 1999 - way too long.

Now, with LSU losing tonight I will be the BIGGEST South Carolina fan next weekend and hope that they can knock off Auburn. I know it is a long shot for us to be in the 'title game', but strange things can happen...assuming OSU does not jump us in the BCS computers.
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

• Sorry to post 3 times in a row...

Woke up this morning to read that Miami fired Shannon. Who will look at next Ibis? I have to admit I was a little shocked at the firing, but of course I am not familiar with the daily goings on of the program - still it seemed a little hasty. The thing I find disheartening is the lack of 'time' given to a coach to recruit and build. Four years is the minimum needed to truly put your stamp on a program and then judge the results. How many years was he there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                    Sorry to post 3 times in a row...

Woke up this morning to read that Miami fired Shannon. Who will look at next Ibis? I have to admit I was a little shocked at the firing, but of course I am not familiar with the daily goings on of the program - still it seemed a little hasty. The thing I find disheartening is the lack of 'time' given to a coach to recruit and build. Four years is the minimum needed to truly put your stamp on a program and then judge the results. How many years was he there?
                    Four years.

Postives - he graduates his players (second best rate in the country); he runs a tight ship; no off-the-field embarrasments; so-called good recruiting classes

Negatives - Zero bowl wins. Zero conference titles in a cruddy conference. Heck only a .500 record in said cruddy conference. Only slightly better than .500 overall. Attendance down.

I don't have a clue who the next coach will be.

Comment

• I've been hearing that Jim Leach may be interested. That would be interesting.
                      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• A bunch of miscellaneous thoughts and ramblings.

Boise might be better off with the loss at Nevada. The way they played in the second half of that game I believe they would have got blown off the field if they had played Auburn in the NC or Sugar, or Wisconsin in the Rose. I am also surprised that Nevada's quarterback has not been mentioned more as a Heisman finalist, as he has had some awesome stats all year long.

I liked Ohio State's throwback uniforms to honor the 1942 national champs, just one problem yall left the G off! (Ohio State and Georgia both have National Championships for 1942, and so does Wisconsin, but I don't think they claim it.) Seriously I like the throwback uniforms and really like Tressel making the current players picking a player from the '42 team and giving a presentation about him to the team.

The Capitol One Bowl may have an interesting match-up. Depending on the at large BCS picks it may end up being LSU vs Michigan State. Both of these teams have had a habit of pulling the rabbit out of the hat so to speak this year. If this is indeed the case and the score stays close, the last 5 minutes or so could be very fun to watch.

I think Miami has made a major mistake in firing Shannon. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Miami is not exactly the desirable place to coach that its fans think it is. It has a horrible track record with Coaches and firing Shannon after giving him a 4 year extension is not going to help any either. I also think Miami fans are living in the past. I do not think it is possible for dah U to ever return to what they once were. Times have changed too much. I also think what I am about to lay out next applies to Florida and FSU as well. There are now so many div 1A schools in Florida that I don't think any of them will return to their former dominance. I think it will be to hard to get ALL the recruits needed for this. Why would a guy that will probably be a critical second string guy even want to go to Miami when he can go to USF or UCF and be a starter and get plenty of face time on TV to impress the pros?

Comment

• Oh and I forgot to mention a little observation that will put the Iron Bowl into perspective for our members.

Friday I had to run back over to my house to shower and feed my girlfriends dogs. I got a latter start than I wanted to and ended up having to drive back during the 1st quarter. It is between 15 to 20 miles over to my place and I have to drive for a couple of short stretches on two fairly well traveled state highways. Going over there was the normal amount of traffic, say about 20 cars. Coming back I saw only 2 other cars on the road! It has been a few years since I have been away from a TV during the Iron Bowl, and those were short beer runs to local stores. (Naturally the stores had TVS set up for the game) I had forgotten how completely this state shuts down for that game. I am serious, when I was driving back, I saw 2 cars and NO-ONE outside in their yards or anything. Now if that isn't a sure nuff rivalry I don't know what is.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                            I think Miami has made a major mistake in firing Shannon.
                            I completely, 100% disagree. As do 25,000 empty seats in the stadium yesterday (I'd say 50,000, but even if UM was ranked number 1, there would have been 25,000 no shows).

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Miami is not exactly the desirable place to coach that its fans think it is.
                            You underestimate Miami fans. We do know that score very well.

It has a horrible track record with Coaches
                            How far do you want to go back? Coker was a disaster, but the 4 before that were aces (notwithstanding the rules violations in the middle, of course).

and firing Shannon after giving him a 4 year extension is not going to help any either.
                            True. They shouldn't have extended the contract. But whats done is done. Either move forward or settle. Miami doesn't want to settle.

I also think Miami fans are living in the past. I do not think it is possible for dah U to ever return to what they once were. Times have changed too much.
                            It might not be possible for anyone to return what what Miami once was. I think most Canes fans would settle for competing for championships every year, as opposed to demanding winning them every year like say 25 years ago.

Seriously, I have no idea if Miami can get back to the top. But the current course had The U sailing towards perpetual mediocrity. Miami won't settle for that without trying to improve.

I also think what I am about to lay out next applies to Florida and FSU as well. There are now so many div 1A schools in Florida that I don't think any of them will return to their former dominance. I think it will be to hard to get ALL the recruits needed for this. Why would a guy that will probably be a critical second string guy even want to go to Miami when he can go to USF or UCF and be a starter and get plenty of face time on TV to impress the pros?
                            Thats an issue. But it didn't hold USC back. Florida is an enormous state. So it falls on the coach.

BD, I know where you're coming from. The hurdles are high and the track is long. But Miami created a top tier program twice in the past 30 years - once under Schnellenberger from nothing, and once under Davis from the depths of sanctions. Miami faced many if not all those issues before.

Before you point to the enhanced competition for talent as being new, I'd ask you to recall a day you might remember when serious recruits wouldn't really consider Miami at all. Howard nonetheless found guys. Then there were days when Miami had few scholarships to give out and everyone wanted to go to UF and FSU. Butch still found the right guys (and Pete Garcia gave them track scholarships - unfortunately, Garcia is building a program with Mario Cristobal over at FIU and doing just fine).

So the thing is to get the right guy in here. Unless the admin finds some real money, it will be difficult to land a top name (that said, maybe we get a discount from someone trying to rehab their good name - Leach or Richt if he gets canned). But I don't see Miami finding that money. Even so, finding the right guy isn't impossible. Jimmy, Dennis and Butch came in under the proverbial radar. If the right people are looking, maybe the next great one will be next. But is Kirby Hocutt the guy to find him? For the answer to that question, stay tuned ...

Comment

• Here's an excellent (i.e. glass half full) analysis IMO by Andy Staples at SI
                              Underachieving Shannon out, but Miami can quickly be relevant again

Watching Miami warm up last week for its game against Virginia Tech, the volume of pure athleticism on the roster was shocking. I don't refer to recruiting rankings. This is about sheer talent. Put Miami's players in generic uniforms next to the players from Auburn, LSU or Oklahoma, and you wouldn't know who played for which team. Yet in Shannon's fourth season at the helm, the Hurricanes have yet to win even the ACC Coastal division.

It's a shame, because Shannon has done everything right but win. His players graduate. They behave. They represent the school perfectly everywhere except on the field. Saturday's loss to USF was a prime example. Most of the Bulls chose USF because Miami, Florida and Florida State didn't recruit them. There is no reason players Miami coaches deemed inferior to their own should be able to come to Dade County and beat the Hurricanes.

The bottom line is this: Shannon produced a seven-win season with an 11-win roster, and The U can do better.

A smart up-and-comer would walk across broken glass to get the Miami job. It won't pay as much as other marquee jobs, and while the Hurricanes have earmarked money to improve their facilities, they still don't have the palaces other major programs do. What they do have is a roster that can win the ACC next year and compete for national titles quickly. Even more important is a fertile recruiting ground loaded with exceptional athletes who aren't so young that they don't remember when national champions emerged from the smoke at the Orange Bowl.
                              Last edited by The Ibis; 28 Nov 10, 19:58.

Comment

• Ibis my comments about coaches and Miami wasn't about great coaches, it is about how the University of Miami has treated coaches. Simply put Miami has a fan base with some high expectations (I see many online much higher than yours), a poor track record as far as taking care of coaches, less than the best facilities, and lots of competition for recruits.

Yes Howard was able to build the U from nothing, but he could sell the local players on staying local and getting the TV time with scheduling. Butch was able to point to what Howard and Jimmy did. I just think that now with practically everyone's games on TV of some flavor it is harder to recruit the depth needed for those dynasty type teams. Especially in the state of Florida where there is so much competition.

I really think Miami should have given Shannon one more year, the win-loss record was going up. While the bowl and conference championships had not came yet they may have been on the way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X