Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • @ R. Evans. I would say the animosity in the OSU/UM game is about that of Georgia/Florida or Georgia/Georgia Tech (these depend more on which end of the state of Georgia one lives on) or Alabama/Tennessee. The level of hatred between Auburn and Alabama just can not be conveyed, it really has to be experienced.

    @ Ibis. With regards to Boise, big whoop. They were supposed to start 2011 against Ole Miss. So basically they swapped out Ole Miss for Georgia, which is an upgrade but what they could not get Alabama, LSU or Florida? There other non-conference games for 2011 are Tulsa at home and Toledo at Toledo. Same old crap one good team and some junk. Lets look further ahead.

    2012
    @ Michigan State
    Miami (Ohio)
    BYU

    A bit better but nothing that would convince me they are National Championship material, with their conference schedule. Although the last will improve slightly by being in the Mountain West.

    Comment


    • If BYU and Utah would stay with MWC and with Boise State and Fresno State (or Nevada) joining it, this would be a BCS conference hands down.
      Still I think if you give Boise State one shot at the national title they might very well beat whatever team you choose to play them.
      I too would like to see them playing harder teams week in and week out. A strong conference does take its toll on the higher ranked teams.
      All warfare is based on deception.
      Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


      Comment


      • One thing to remember is that with the economy the way it is a ton of schools are putting limits on their atheltic budgets (execpt for the very biggest of the big boys). This limits travel - which in turn can hurt a school's chance to join/leave a conference. Take TCU - they were asked to join the Big East (for football only). I believe they don't want to join just for one sport, but can you imagine the budget you would need to play that conference schedule!

        With Boise, I would imagine they do not have the budget to schedule the kind of schedule it would take to earn a spot in the BCS championship game. Also, no 'big time' school wants to go up there and lose on national TV...that would severely hurt their recruiting reputation.
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
          @ R. Evans. I would say the animosity in the OSU/UM game is about that of Georgia/Florida or Georgia/Georgia Tech (these depend more on which end of the state of Georgia one lives on) or Alabama/Tennessee. The level of hatred between Auburn and Alabama just can not be conveyed, it really has to be experienced.

          @ Ibis. With regards to Boise, big whoop. They were supposed to start 2011 against Ole Miss. So basically they swapped out Ole Miss for Georgia, which is an upgrade but what they could not get Alabama, LSU or Florida? There other non-conference games for 2011 are Tulsa at home and Toledo at Toledo. Same old crap one good team and some junk. Lets look further ahead.

          2012
          @ Michigan State
          Miami (Ohio)
          BYU

          A bit better but nothing that would convince me they are National Championship material, with their conference schedule. Although the last will improve slightly by being in the Mountain West.
          I don't know about LSU, but Bama plays Penn State again next year IIRC and UF doesn't schedule anyone outside of the conference except FSU (and only then because they have to). So who was there for Boise to pick up. I would think you would applaud the move.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
            One thing to remember is that with the economy the way it is a ton of schools are putting limits on their atheltic budgets (execpt for the very biggest of the big boys). This limits travel - which in turn can hurt a school's chance to join/leave a conference. Take TCU - they were asked to join the Big East (for football only). I believe they don't want to join just for one sport, but can you imagine the budget you would need to play that conference schedule!

            With Boise, I would imagine they do not have the budget to schedule the kind of schedule it would take to earn a spot in the BCS championship game. Also, no 'big time' school wants to go up there and lose on national TV...that would severely hurt their recruiting reputation.
            Brian - your Badgers keep rolling. Will Ohio State do their part and send Bucky to the Rose Bowl?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
              Brian - your Badgers keep rolling. Will Ohio State do their part and send Bucky to the Rose Bowl?
              Thank you! I have a good feeling that the sweater vests will beat Michigan. I don't see Michigan winning on the road.

              Having Michigan St. lose to Purdue would have made things a lot easier for us. Northwestern is not a push over as they can score when they are clicking!
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                Thank you! I have a good feeling that the sweater vests will beat Michigan. I don't see Michigan winning on the road.

                Having Michigan St. lose to Purdue would have made things a lot easier for us. Northwestern is not a push over as they can score when they are clicking!
                Well if you don't have a let down, it shouldn't be much of a contest. Didn't Northwestern just give up 500 rushing yards to the Illini?

                Comment


                • Good point Twitter3, this is why Georgia dropped its 2 game home and away series with Oregon, too high of travel cost. As far as Boise, from what I have gathered ESPN is footing the bill for these games so they can televise them. They had to pay $600,000 to Louisville for them to drop their 2 game series with Georgia so that Georgia can play BSU. They were getting $900,000 for the Ole Miss game, so it isn't like BSU is traveling for free. The deal with Michigan State is 2 games at MSU, one at Boise and $1.2 mil.

                  The primary reason they can not get anyone to play at Boise is that they want either 2 home games or a bundle of cash. Boise is wanting to schedule like a 1AA school that gets a million to come in for a scrimmage game. But when they can not get anyone to agree to their nonsense demands they claim the big schools are ducking them. Also hurting them is their home stadium is not close to many big programs and only seats 34,000. I am pretty sure an Alabama or the like can scrounge up that many folks even for a game that far away.

                  With regards to the Mountain West and AQ status, looking at the BCS page the conferences are being evaluated now through 2011. Unless I have things totally misfigured the MWC will either beat out the Big East in this time period or become the 7th AQ which the BCS says they are thinking about adding. That is all a bit irrelevant anyway since either Boise or TCU will recive an Automatic Qualification under the current BCS rules. The second of them may get passed over for an at large, but I doubt it. ESPN's bowl projections are a bunch of BS when you go and look at the BCS page and see the exact rules and such. I would be highly surprised to see LSU and Ohio State in the Sugar bowl which is what ESPN is projecting. If things remain the same as they are now, TCU WILL go to the Rose. The Rose has to take the highest ranked nonAQ team the first year it losses a team to NC game in the years 2011-2014. ESPN is falsely reporting that it has to do so only one year. At the BCS page it says the first year. I do not see the Sugar Bowl passing over Boise or Stanford to set up a rematch of OSU/LSU. Given OSU's bowl record against the SEC the outcome would be all but a given (sorry R. Evans).

                  BCS eligibility page here.
                  http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

                  Comment


                  • No problem. OSU bowl record against SEC teams is horrendous. 0 for whatever!

                    Another reason to dislike Boise State is that damn blue field. It is impossible to watch a game on that field. Even the Humanitarian Bowl that has different teams with colors other than blue is hard to watch. Tell them to get serious and get a green field. The cuteness factor is long gone.
                    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                    Comment


                    • I only watched a Boise State home game once and I made a promisse to myself that was the last one. I had a huge headhick by halftime.
                      I had never thaught about traveling costs effect on schedulling, great point... makes a lot of sense.
                      All warfare is based on deception.
                      Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                        No problem. OSU bowl record against SEC teams is horrendous. 0 for whatever!

                        Another reason to dislike Boise State is that damn blue field. It is impossible to watch a game on that field. Even the Humanitarian Bowl that has different teams with colors other than blue is hard to watch. Tell them to get serious and get a green field. The cuteness factor is long gone.
                        0-9 to get precise, and the way the bowls are set up most of the higher Big 10 and SEC bowls are between each other. Looks like you Buckeye fans might want to hope for a Rose Bowl spot. And that is a weird stat as good as OSU is you would think they would have beat an SEC team sometime in a bowl game. In regular season games they are 2-3-2 which is respectable. But you never know, this might be the year, none of the upper SEC teams look unbeatable this year.

                        I am with you 100% on the blue field. Personally I feel football should be played on natural grass, and if the venue can not support a regulation football field it should not be played there. Yeah I am looking at you Wrigley Field, and wherever the Emerald Bowl is played out that has both teams on the same sideline. But passed all that, if it has to be played on a rug they can at least get a green one.

                        Comment


                        • BigDog,

                          You seem to be the SEC guru, can you tell me why SEC teams play out of conference games so late in the season and conference games so early? It doesn't make sense. The Pac-10 does it to some degree but not the way the SEC does. Alabama just played Georgia State, South Carolina played Troy, and Auburn played Chattanooga. There were others but these 3 are the ones I remember happening most recently. Big 10 and Big 12 teams seem to get their out of conference games out of the way early and concentrate on the league to finish up the year. Florida/Florida State I can see but the others make no sense.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                          Comment


                          • That is an easy one R. Evans. Most of those non-conference games that are mixed in are like having an off week. It is a chance to rest and heal up dinged up players. The normal SEC schedule will have some easy games at first for the start of the season "tune-up" and some more mixed in latter to break up the grind of the conference schedule. I have also noticed that SEC schools tend to rotate in younger players more than some schools for experience and to give the 1st string a rest.

                            Comment


                            • Auburn came back from 24 down at Bama to win today. I think Newton had the Heisman before, but I don't think there's any doubt now.

                              Then Nevada was losing 24-7 to Boise State came back to tie 31-31 with 13 seconds left. Nevada did a squib kick and Boise got the ball at their 40 with 9 seconds left and threw a long pass down to the 5 yard line with 2 seconds left, but missed the field goal on the final play of regulation. Off to OT now.

                              Comment


                              • Nevada wins in OT.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X